Experience with this DIY DAC ?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This seems to be a bargain to mod this dac!

sorry for the stupid question, but after stealing signal from dac board, which are the pins in Monacor to use for input
(dac-->trannies) and which for output (trannies--->rca sockets)??

Is there any other suitable tranny here?

http://www.hammondmfg.com/5caud.htm

Havoc08 said:
Thx mcgyver. The monacor is also generally available compared to some of the more exotic items.

Could you compare the monacor mod to the stock DAC, tubed DAC and/or other tranny solutions?

Stock DAC is dry and synthetic, although has good, strong and controlled bass.

Monacor trannies gives amazing naturality, a lot of fine details, deep and wide space, precise instrument placing on a stage, with exact shapes and edges, and especially with very natural acoustic aura wchich gives the feeling of "being there".

danrap said:

Hi McCrackers, thank for the reply (and thanks to Piero 7 too )
I don't want to do the "transformer thing" because it cost too much for me.
Do you think that the "only one opamp thing" http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/LAMPUCERA/MAX/opamped_lampucera.html

is it possible on the cs4398 version of this board too?
I have a dual burson discrete opamp and I'm happy if I could to use in this dac..

Thank you so much,
Dan
Sound of the schematics on Cirius Logic Application Note 48 is very clear.
The original schematic on this dac have some problems on high frequencies - look Post #229.
For calculate LPF with another capacitors is possible use Post #943

Finally, I fount a couple of UTC A-20! Mounted with the Legarem configuration (2x100ohm+6800pF on primary, and just 680ohm on secondary. Lost a bit of gain)

I can say: simply a-w-e-s-o-m-e!

The bass are simply straordinary! Bigger core biggest basses! :D

I also have a couple of Lundhal 1540, and even with the UTC I'm really happy, I'll mount and test them... stay tuned :cool:

Attachments

• utc.jpg
    utc.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 965