Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Also: Ryssen if you read this, do you know if there are any Salas regulators left and who do I contact?
Read this post:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/137976-experience-diy-dac-210.html#post2080502

Edit:I connected the Salas to the big e-lyts that refer to the 3, 5v supplys (I will be 2, 5v supplys if you dont plan to use the USB) and cut the traces just before the big e-lyts (between the original regs (LM317) and the e-lyts).
I don´t have any pics on the underside,but it should be easy to locate it.
Please ask if theres any questions.
Here are 2 pics of the Salas.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/137976-experience-diy-dac-210.html#post2080286

Lundahl specify a 0.1uF cap between SPDIF and trafo Schematic shows a 10nF between trafo and chip.
I'm not using a cap with Newava. Is this OK?
I think the cap is there for blocking DC,but since you can´t get DC trough a transformer,I belive it is not nessesery.
Correct me if I´m wrong.

I think it should be between trafo and DAC-input (between + and -).

Yes I think so to,by looking at CS8416 datasheet.

Last edited:
These Salas regulators you speak of... There's already quite a few threads on this and other forums but it would be nice if some kind soul could explain what version to get and where/how to install these.
As usual pics would be nice.
Thanks

Mike - Just contacted Teddy Pardo and his SuperTeddyRegs are perfect for the job. He uses them in his new DAC.

PCB's and certain parts are avaliable here:

Teddy Pardo home of TeddyCap TeddyXPS power supply for Naim Audio replaces HiCap and XPS

Let me know and I'll help sort out a parts list. Looks like I'll be needing 3!

I'm interested. I'm hoping it's not 3 x $59 though.

No, get the bare PCB's and build them yourself. Go to the DIY page. On the components page there are some hard to find components. The 22uF tantalums are very good but can be substituted with AVX tantalums. SMD caps here are recommended.

I'll send you a 5V BOM later. I just need to check parts needed.

Note that SuperTeddyRegs are not shunt regulators,if thats what you want.
On the other hand the SuperTeddyRegs will work just as well,don´t ask me to explain wich one is "better" or the difference,I´m not skilled to do that..:dunno:

Yeah, I guess the STR's are more 'filter' reg's than shunt regs. Teddy said they are excellent at noise reduction and work superbly in digital circuits. They have an accelerator circuit that accomodates fast digital start up times.

Worth a go I think!

Thanks anyway Ryssen. By the way will connect my Sumlink up this afternoon. I will connect to the top pins of the CS8416

Teddy said they are excellent at noise reduction and work superbly in digital circuits. They have an accelerator circuit that accomodates fast digital start up times.

Worth a go I think!

Thanks anyway Ryssen. By the way will connect my Sumlink up this afternoon. I will connect to the top pins of the CS8416

Looking forward to some building pics,and report on the sound. :)

Will do Ryssen. looking forward to it myself. With the holiday weekend Teddy won't be posting anything untill next week so give it a couple of weeks.

I kind of got the fear regarding the pulse transformer mod. Considering the reciever diagram Ciu posted, should there be a 75 ohm resistor across the secondary's? I can't see how the impedence is maintained on the S/PDIF input.

BOM's sent guys. Hope they're ok.

Teddy is away for the holiday weekend so you might want to wait until next week to order. He lives in Israel! So things take a week or so to arrive. You will probably get yours in the states quicker than the UK.

stc4life - Digikey or Mouser are ideal and cheaper than most. Mouser is brilliant but only do free delivery for orders over a certain amount. So you may need to bulk the order out unless you can piggyback someone else's.