ES9038Q2M Board

kozard,

You aren't the first person to measure the stock board. I keep trying to make sure people know IMHO it really needs to be modded to useable. That said, some people have said its fine as-is, others have said its not too bad. I guess there must be more variation in human perception than intuition suggests.

EDIT: Board performance can be fixed pretty well, but I keep trying to tell people its a LOT of work to do it. IME all of the individual measured distortion spurs can get down to or below -120dBFS. IMHO to get all spurs down at or below -130dBFS would require staring over with at least a 4-layer PCB. Other things can be improved too.

Last edited:
I have never understood the urge to buy cheap chinese stuff and then tweak them to death. If what you measure is real there is no reasonable way to turn this into something that even closely resembles datasheet performance.

So does anyone have public/shared/orderable gerber files for a well done DIY ES9038Q2M board? Maybe I can transfer the ES9038Q2M chip?

kozard,

You aren't the first person to measure the stock board. I keep trying to make sure people know IMHO it really needs to be modded to useable. That said, some people have said its fine as-is, others have said its not too bad. I guess there must be more variation in human perception than intuition suggests.

Any chance you know which post has measurements attached?

I have tried several searches but I guess I am not very good at finding it on this thread.

The board you got is exactly what you payed for; (...) Myself, I would not bother hacking such an ES9038 board

I have never understood the urge to buy cheap chinese stuff and then tweak them to death. If what you measure is real there is no reasonable way to turn this into something that even closely resembles datasheet performance.

Strike two :D. Who recommended this board?

Last edited:
^^^
Myself, I would not bother hacking such an ES9038 board, I'd rather collect information and design my own (which is what I'm currently doing, but from an instrumentation application perspective). Could be a simpler, quicker and even cheaper way to performance, more educative, and certainly as much fun. But then, everybody is free to choose his own challenges, good luck!

Are you planning on making the gerber files available for the DIY community?

Are you using the ES9038Q2M QFN?

Or it is not possible due to the instrumentation application perspective?

Last edited:
eziitis,

What was your total cost for everything by the time you finished the project?

EDIT: Regarding 'any decent dac,' seems to me different people have different ideas about what constitutes 'decent.' The ones in my laptop and cell phone are both useable, with the cell phone probably being a little better. However, I wouldn't prefer to have either one in my hi-fi.

Last edited:
But they don't sound the same. I don't know how much is due to power supplies, op-amps, drivers, filters, jitter, etc. But they don't sound the same. Also none are on the level of AK4396 or ES9038Q2M. However the EMU 1820 and R24 are respectable. ...But the EMU 1820 does not even sound like the 1820m which has mastering grade or studio grade converters.
That "etc." is what you need to look into. For example, placebo effect, room mode and expectation bias. Audible DAC jitter is a thing of the past and no need to worry anymore these days. Only the shills and salesman still bring this up.

If you compare DACs in subjective way (opposite of what I outlined on post #6590), the results are all over the place. You can listen to the same DAC in such way and perceive a difference. Think about that.

Are you planning on making the gerber files available for the DIY community?

Are you using the ES9038Q2M QFN?

Or it is not possible due to the instrumentation application perspective?

No, using ES9038PRO dual. I will eventually make everything available for free, but bear in mind this is not intended for a standard XMOS or Amanero audio interface. Don't hold your breath, it's a very slow process, ADC is done, DAC boards (first version) are about to be sent to JLCPCB (after the Chinese New Year). Right now the boards have slave I2S interfaces, not sure yet how to interface with the target PC running the measurement software.

For the record, here's the whole exchange.

And it ended there. Now, please quote the exact point:

- Where I insulted you. You can use the "insult" definition in the Oxford or Merriam-Webster dictionaries.

- Why was my statement "that had not been fully researched to confirm whether it was correct" unwise and incorrect. You seem to invoke above the negative proof concept, which is a known logical fallacy.

- Where was my understanding "wanting".

- Why would "humility" be required in #6438, quoted above. I even acknowledged "some truth" in your statement, although totally unrelated to the topic under discussion.

- "For someone in their early 60's you are indeed remarkably childish and petty." Is this what you call an insult? Did I make anywhere comments regarding your age and character?

- And because you seem to miss the topic in this exchange, please provide evidence that loading a linear regulator with a dummy load may improve the sound, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. You have above a reasonable explanation regarding the alleged origin of this (yet another) audio fetish.

Have it your way then. No hard feelings I hope. I'm afraid i don't have time for this right now. My mum has just this minute found out she has COVID.

John

Hi, did some DPLL test again..
Must say that sound is way much better with settings to 1 than default 5.
USB works fine with 1, but still problems with optical.
Can’t still with optical get lock with default 5, but 9 works.
But if i ignore the click and half a second mute every 6 seconds the sound is just fine with optical with DPLL at 1 :)
Anyone have some ideas if some register that can fix a lock problem? Lock speed? Igonre valid flag?

BR // Daniel

Kozard,
Trying to remember who posted that measurement result. It will probably come to me eventually.

Daniel,
The problem is most likely jitter from your source and or your optical cable. Can't fix that in the dac without going to a FIFO or maybe a better ASRC in the dac design. FIFO is best quality but has a time delay. ES9038Q2M has in internal ASRC, but there are better ones that can be implemented externally. SRC4392 is one very good one. So is AK4137 but those aren't available right now. Iancanada has a presence at diyaudio and sells a pretty good FIFO, adds to cost though.

Last edited:
Does anyone have distortion measurements on their ES9038Q2M (the recommended board in this thread) that they can please post?

I would like to know if my board is defective or whether other samples of this board really start out with such high distortion.

2.5 years ago:

ES9038Q2M Board

and the mods:

ES9038Q2M Board

AVCC = Vref(TL431)-LPF(10K/100uF)-ErrAmp(5532)-PassTr(BD139)
I/V=OP1622 implemented like Vicnic proposed: Chinese ES9018K2M I2S DAC

Last edited:
Thank you for the old measurements.

They don't look like my spectrum with the huge 200Hz & 15.6kHz spikes/spurs. No sign of that mess in your spectrum.

So I wonder if I have a defective board or ES9038Q2M chip?

Attachments

• SB0490 to ES9038Q2M 8kHz -9 dBFS What Is That COAX Shunt Regulated Supply Plus Reg 9p6 for LM780.png
    SB0490 to ES9038Q2M 8kHz -9 dBFS What Is That COAX Shunt Regulated Supply Plus Reg 9p6 for LM780.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 200
there were several iterations, but the estimate would be about 300€, without enclosure. using included components would be a half of that...

Right. I went back and read over some of the old posts from a couple of years ago. We were trying to find a way to make a good sounding, low-cost dac. There were not any on the market at that time that we felt were good enough, while also low enough cost. What I found out in the end appears to be about what you found out, which is to get a dac we thought was good enough for what we wanted it wasn't low-cost as we had hoped. 300€ or so for you, probably mine ended up higher by the time a lot of different variations were tried (but I only did one like that). So, today I say there are pretty good dacs one can buy starting around $250 or so, but to get a really good one which I would like then someone should expect it to be expensive. That's just the reality for the class of dacs I like. Yet, I know there are people that are perfectly happy with an un-modded ES9038Q2M board like we started out with in this thread. Problem is who has what preferences, when they ask what's a good dac?

Last edited: