• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 Amp - Baby Huey

Sunil,

The boards would be able to use ECL86's but the power requirements for the heaters will not be the same as Marc's PCB's. Mine have been designed to be powered from constant current regulators (300ma) I have built. As Lingwendil has suggested, JLCPCB are very cheap so you could always use the gerber files that Marc has very kindly provided, mine will not be ready for some time. For me it would cost about £10 to get 10 boards shipped to the UK. From JLCPCB to you it should be slightly cheaper plus you'll have some spare boards.

Polycell

Sunil,

The boards would be able to use ECL86's but the power requirements for the heaters will not be the same as Marc's PCB's. Mine have been designed to be powered from constant current regulators (300ma) I have built. As Lingwendil has suggested, JLCPCB are very cheap so you could always use the gerber files that Marc has very kindly provided, mine will not be ready for some time. For me it would cost about £10 to get 10 boards shipped to the UK. From JLCPCB to you it should be slightly cheaper plus you'll have some spare boards.

Polycell

Thanks Polycell.

New PCBs

I've never done this before, so with some help maybe. Need help with some basic questions on the JLCPCB site.

The "attach files" is the same ZIP file from Marcs post - is this right ?
Layers - 2
Dimensions - 101 x 80
Quantity - 10
PCB Tkness - 1.6mm
PCB Color - Yellow (hell, y not !)
Surface Finish - HASL (with Lead)
Copper Weight - 2o.z
Gold Fingers - No
Materials Detail - FR4
Panel by JLPCB - No
Different Design - No​

Could somebody please review this and let me know if anything should be corrected.

It works to < $4 /pcb, so I could distribute the rest if anybody is interested.

Thanks,
Sunil

Should just be the zip. Fill in the correct dimensions, and the rest of the details can be left as default. Once correctly input you can use the Gerber viewer to make sure it looks right.

Worst case, email them for help. They are very helpful.

My flea amplifier prototype PCBs from them are very nice!

Attachments

• IMG_20180613_204406.jpg
    IMG_20180613_204406.jpg
    993.5 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
Hi Lingwendil,

I have made a standard EL84 Baby Huey, but it was not my best PCB :mad: I made two mistakes in the design, even if they were easily corrected, I didn't produce more than 10 boards before moving to the EL34 Baby Huey :) I have added the schema and some pictures to give an idea of the board therefor you can compare with the EL34 version. Today if I had to redesign this PCB I would use the EL34 PCB and replace the octal socket by a 9-pin socket :cool:

In fact it is exactly the same schema as described by gingertube, but I made a much better layout for the octal socket version and it is always possible to use an octal to 9-pin adapter if you want to test some EL84, of course there will be some resistor value to change. I add the schema if you want to try, you can use two of the latest EL34 Baby Huey PCB available from Prasi :D

Regards,
Marc

Attachments

• EL84 avec transfo TU-101 8 kohms.JPG
    EL84 avec transfo TU-101 8 kohms.JPG
    349.3 KB · Views: 756
  • Error on EL84 PCB.JPG
    Error on EL84 PCB.JPG
    597.3 KB · Views: 745
  • Schema EL84 Baby Huey Oct 20, 2017.pdf
    162.5 KB · Views: 195
  • PCB EL84 Rev 2 Oct 2016.png
    PCB EL84 Rev 2 Oct 2016.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 782
I'm ordering these boards but they are nowhere near the $5 for 10 pieces, more like $40, without shipping.

This is not a group buy, sorry, I can't handle the logistics that go with that kind of thing.

Since 10 boards are a minimum, I'd be happy to give the remaining 6 boards if somebody is interested.

OK, I checked again, I go in "PCB Instant quote", I entered the size of 99 mm x 80 mm, I keep all default features except I choose red solder mask instead of green (it's the same price anyway), I accepted the finish from HASL to ENIG (gold finish) by indicated "yes" and I got a price of 5 $ for 10 pieces in 3-4 days ! Shipment for France by E-packet is 10 $...

Try again !
Marc