Edge Coating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SB Acoustics did add a narrow coating strip on their MR16-8 midranges. In the Troels article mentioned in this thread, go to the heading "SBAcoustics MR16P-8and -4 midrange driver" about 2/3rd's down the article. The one with two pictures side by side. Look closely at the one showing the back of the MR16-8 midrange. On the back of the cone, about 1/4" from the edge you will see a shiny bead of elastomer.

see, they added it to the surround because the driver needed it, so no cost spared, and that is my point :)

Troel's edge treatment of the Satori MR16 was more desirable, smoothing most of the 3 - 4 dB swing (with dip) at 1200 Hz. Where as, the SB Acoustics edge treatment reduced a peak at 4 kHz by about 3 dB also. Though a resonance peak at 4kHz can be irritating, peaks being more noticeable than dips.

Last edited:
Be that as it may, the point is not that SB has significantly cut costs on surround material per se. They've used what they needed in order to achieve a given set of general mechanical characteristics. However, in doing so, they have accepted a compromise in terms of controlling the cone edge-resonance. Which is what is being referred to here.

yes, and that is what i have tried to say all the long, they did not exclude surround coating for cost reasons, they did it because the did not wanted it there :)

They could in principle address that without significantly impacting the desired qualities, but to do so would result in a higher unit cost. Edge damping is one method of achieving this (as Troels has demonstrated), asymmetric surround profiles are another potential means, but neither come cheaply for various reasons, some of which are referred to above.

but as some said in a post above, sba are using surround coating for their midrange driver. see, sb uses the coating where it is needed not only where there is a budget :)

see, they added it to the surround because the driver needed it, so no cost spared, and that is my point :)

Which is incorrect because

a/ It's not on the surround / cone interface. It's added to the rear of the cone only, which is a different (and much cheaper) set of conditions, and

b/ It doesn't address the cone edge-resonance under discussion (as you can see in the measurements), which they would have had to expend much more time, effort and money to do. If you honestly think SB's Satori range are cost-no-object drivers with zero engineering compromises, then you are, bluntly, wrong. I can't think of any other way to put it.

Last edited:
If you honestly think SB's Satori range are cost-no-object drivers with zero engineering compromises, then you are, bluntly, wrong. I can't think of any other way to put it.

i have not said nor have i thought that satori are cost-no-object drivers, just listen to them and it is obvious they are not, mine are pretty much useless! but what i trying to say for the tenth time is that i think they choose not to coat the surround because that will make some other parameters of the performance worse and not just the cost. if cost would have been an issue then i hope they hade excluded that decorative and very silly rubber ring on the magnet structure :)

Troel's edge treatment of the Satori MR16 was more desirable, smoothing most of the 3 - 4 dB swing (with dip) at 1200 Hz. Where as, the SB Acoustics edge treatment reduced a peak at 4 kHz by about 3 dB also. Though a resonance peak at 4kHz can be irritating, peaks being more noticeable than dips.

yes, peaks in the response curve viewed in a waterfall plot always show some sort of decay or ringing, dips not so, so dips are better then peaks :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hi,

Does it change the Qm of the surround ?
Does it work with rubber surrounds as well ?

These tacky glues are still heavy and thick if you take the glues for surrounds . Are they no change the weight of the cone too much - Qts- ?

I'm lost when I read some coat the outside cone, some the inner, some the inner surround.

Is it always usefull ? I have some old paper woofers in sealed, aperiodic loads, should I shellac, paint, glue the inner cone surfaces ? ... knowing the ears are not sensible too mch in the bass and upper bass dpt ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have treated many, many drivers, using more “doping” than you would use on a surround, surround, measuring them before and after, and unless you really work at it (like 10 coats on a 12” woofer) any T/S parameter changes are less than the factory variation in parameters and the differences that one gets with changes in the weather (mostly air pressure & temperature).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is it always usefull ? I have some old paper woofers in sealed, aperiodic loads, should I shellac, paint, glue the inner cone surfaces ?

I have treated paper cones since the late ‘70s. Almost universally an improvement — most notably an increase in DDR due to the coating tieing the fibres that make up paper from moving and producing what i call cone “self-noise”. One can ruin a driver by being over generous with the coating or using anything that stiffens the cone — i have improved some cones with careful application of stuff that stiffens a cone (damar, lovely smell that), but it need sto be carefully applied and used in a specific very driver specific pattern.

Like this (from before i learned about EnABL so clearer to see). the pattern is damar, then a thinned coat of ModPodge. (aside: also shows how careful joinery with bamboo plywood makes it look like one did a whack more work than in reality — the pattern around the edge that looks like marquetry).

bambooPAWO-collage.jpg

The tacky glue i use (Zig), does not add very much mass.

We are moving into cone treatments here. Zig on the back at teh surround interface may have alos improved ths driver (as did EnABL) but thes ewere long NLA before i discovered that trick.

dave

Except for maybe bass drivers, preferred by me, no bump up to scrw up what is coming off the edge of the cone.

dave

That's an interesting and moot point, I had considered that the protruding outwards roll surround may be beneficial in terminating energy.

However my BBC/Rogers mid/woofers have an inverted roll surround.

Also it is generally true that a much greater termination of energy is required with harder cones, especially pistonic, which tend to use rubber.

Self damping cones often have foam because they need less terminating damping.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thank you Dave for the inputs.

What would you consider for coating the rear of a 8" bass paper cone in a sealed load please ? I assume it's about to make it both more pistonic and more linear (damping some peaks)... though I usually have low XOs with woofers : around 200/30 hz.

Edit : you firered before this post :) ... Thanks.

Last edited:
I think this is a big time improvement. This impacts the sensitive-to-the-ear 'presence' range of 1,000 to 3,000 Hz. Troels didn't mention that the 2nd harmonic distortion peak of 10 to 15 dB in the 1,500 Hz range commonly found on paper and polypropylene cones, at the surround resonance, should also be greatly diminished, or raised in frequency. Results should show on the impedance curves too, reducing the blip at the same frequencies. This should clean up this range, allowing more seamless crossovers to the tweeter. People made a big deal of the SB Acoustic NAC and NBAC woofer aluminum woofers with the radial ribs that cleaned up this area. Now some are waiting for the SB Textreme woofers with hopefully some similar characteristics, at great expense.

You typically have loudspeaker resonances with paper & poly cones:

Spider suspension : ~ 250 Hz
Cone bell mouth : 800 - 950
Surround reflection: 1,000 - 2,000 Hz

But at the high range end of a mid/woofer, the cone effectively becomes the suspension for the more central part of the driver - the VC and a little more of the cone. Surely then, the energy to which you refer does not extend to the outer part, the surround, because that is a large and damped mass unable to respond to those frequencies..

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What would you consider for coating the rear of a 8" bass paper cone in a sealed load please ?

Front is more important IMO, but with a woofer, and if you are careful, both sides would give you a quasi sandwich which probably be a good thing. And if you add too much with a sealed box, it will just go a little lower but reduce the sensitiveity (maybe) enuff to be a worry if you are using a passive XO.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.