Edge Coating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did the surrounds on some Beyma 5P200Fe last night. They have a dip around 1000hz and also a peak in the impedance around that point. The peak in the impedance is now reduced to almost flat after adding Anita's Tacky Glue to the surround, but I haven't measured the frequency response yet...

I have treated many, many drivers, using more “doping” than you would use on a surround, surround, measuring them before and after, and unless you really work at it (like 10 coats on a 12” woofer) any T/S parameter changes are less than the factory variation in parameters and the differences that one gets with changes in the weather (mostly air pressure & temperature).

dave

Stuff like this is gold.

Actual measurements that essentially say "dude, don't worry so much".

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Did the surrounds on some Beyma 5P200Fe last night. They have a dip around 1000hz and also a peak in the impedance around that point. The peak in the impedance is now reduced to almost flat after adding Anita's Tacky Glue to the surround, but I haven't measured the frequency response yet...
Hi,

Interested in your results, you managed to do the measurements yet?

Oon

I have done exactly that with Al cones that tend to have annoying ring. It works.

the toobs Mk 1

Depending on the driver some experimentation will be needed. On a typical Al cone, the modpodeg is removable (isoproponol and lots of q-tips).

dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. Do I have to dilute the Modge podge or could I use it as it is?

How many coats did you typically need to use?

Oon

@Scott: indeed a bit to rush. Where in his blog does Dan describe the procedure? I only managed to find the measurements.

He makes a few comments on application with some of the blogs comments under the graphs, also he comments further when asked in the Q&A of the link I provided.

Altogether it's Aleene's on the surround with a few coatings: presumably a thin coat and then let it dry, repeat that process until you get the desired result. He also mentioned using some yellow glue in the cone-surround transition at one point (same application process). I believe he also tried Aleene's on the whole cone in one of the experiments.

Same basic thing for the Modpodge.. though only on the cone surface (and maybe the dustcap???), but it took much longer between dry-cycles for application.

Totally an experimental thing, and results will depend greatly on the driver. Note that some manufacturer's do the surround coating for some of their drivers (..and they usually cost more than other similar drivers because of the labor: application + dry-time + application + dry-time, etc..).

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My W5-2143 has the wet look on the edge of the surround and cone and surround and frame. It is a smooth driver that is not too expensive for how good it is. The tacky wet look rubber collects dust, lint, and sawdust pretty badly . I just discovered that a microfiber cloth moistened with water removes the lint from the wet look pretty good. Be careful not to get the paper cone wet though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.