• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Easy DIY tube amp

Actually I already owned a tube system as a child: a Telefunken Opus 6.
Funny enough it boosted an EL84 push pull!
Pretty damn loud with its 6 speakers for my small ears back then!

Attachments

• Telefunken-Opus-6-Schematic-2.pdf
    267.4 KB · Views: 152
  • opus_6_93433.jpg
    opus_6_93433.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 109
  • opus_6_usa_45359.jpg
    opus_6_usa_45359.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 113
Since you listen in the near field you will want the lowest noise possible from the amp. On my builds there was a bit of hum until I replaced the 150 ohm, 5 watt resistor in the power supply with a Hammond 156R choke. They were dead quiet with the choke. Noticeably much more quiet than some of my significantly more expensive commercial amps.

S.

My preference when it comes to resistors (inset large grain of salt if you wish) is to use carbon film for 1 watt or lower duties except if 1% tolerance is required then I use metal film. For over 1 watt I'll use metal film if at all possible. Some people like to steer clear of metal oxide types in audio applications as much as possible. When wattage requirements necessitate wirewound resistors try to use ones with the lowest inductance possible, though the lower inductance types generally cost more. I don't get bent out of shape about wirewound inductance if it's used in a power supply. There a little inductance might do some good. I'm fairly agnostic when it comes to resistor types in audio circuits though I'm a bit fussier in the front end of a phono stage where injudicious selection can have noise consequences.

The 1650F worked very well for me in this application. The Hammond 272JX works well for power duties but the slightly less expensive 272HX should be fine too. I don't know if you've been following along but I recommend using a choke in the power supply. It killed the last bit of hum in the output and the Hammond 156R only costs abut 15 bucks.

Fist part of build series here: https://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/amplification/diy-el84-amp-update/

I have gone through all the documents from Wall of Sound for the 'SPP'. For section 4 'Power Switch Wiring' I created the following illustration.
I hope I understood everything correctly! Maybe the experts could take a look.

Another question: Is there anything special to consider when arranging the transformers?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• SPP_Power.png
    SPP_Power.png
    607.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Part-4-Attachment-3.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 161