• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DynaKitParts ST-35 power supply mods?

tubes run on maximum dissipation - the box is a closed type with a lot of perforations which are not enough ... tubes are cooking themselves and everything else besides.

Yes, this is why I don't plan to use the cage. My Dynaco ST70 series ii has the same cage construction with solid sheet metal sides, which just traps heat. If I could find the same perforated metal, I could use a Dremel tool to cut out the sides and then JB Weld new perforated metal squares to the inside of each side to fit the new openings. It would look perfectly normal. However, I know of no source for the perforated metal cage material. A lot of companies use it, so maybe I can find it online somewhere.

Given the two reports above from users who estimate up to 5,000 hours for the Sovtek EL84M and the Russian 6P14P-EV, I'm not too concerned about running the tubes hard. I have always changed the tubes in my Dynaco ST70 series ii about every 2,500 hours. Heat buildup, however, always is a concern with tube amps.

I don't like having to reach behind hot amps to turn them off.

Over the course of 30 years, I have mastered the art of turning off the switch on the back of my Dynaco ST-70 series ii while the tube cage is off. However, I have burned my arm on the output tubes countless times. I did see at least one person online who had installed a switch on the front of the ST-35. I'll have to see what the options are. The ideal for me would be a rocker switch on the front panel.

Last edited:
Recently saw some nice perf aluminium from a rain gutter mesh knocked down from my lady's neighbor's house. She was about 100 meters from a tornado center path, so the tornado left the houses and hardwoods but laid all the big pines down pointed due North. The one in Ginny's front yard missed her house and caught the neighbor's roof. The perf looked maybe powder coated and pretty open - maybe half air space?. Waterproof, at least!

All good fortune,
Chris

For last year & a half I run my amp without top & side cover ( U profile like AN closed box amps ). Were I smarter I would do it years ago.

6P14-EV from my experience last long, they were the original choice for this amp with tubes on maximum dissipation - and they for sure lasted more than 5,000 hours ( think way more but not sure since I'm not the first owner ).

Reactions: 1 user
I'm using 6P6P-P's in a modified Magnavox 9303 PP console amp and in a SE amp I built. They sound good. The Sovtek's have been holding up well and I haven't had to adjust the bias yet, but I do plan on getting a quad of the 6P6P-EV's to try in my ST-35. The JJ's are supposed to hold up well and sound good in these amps too.

Attachments

• 20221223_110906.jpg
    20221223_110906.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230205_100800.jpg
    20230205_100800.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 48