Dumb Biasing Mod, applicable to F6 and other Papa Amps. Possibly My Dumbest Idea Yet

1)

2) The blue LEDs are soldered in series, which will give about 6V total. The two series connected LEDs replace a single zener diode as the voltage reference. Since the zeners are used in their reverse conduction mode, their arrow points 'backwards' to the flow of current, making the tip of the arrow the + terminal and the shaft the – terminal. The long lead of each LED is the + side, so that end will be soldered into the hole for the + terminal of the zener.
3) At the end of the day, an LED is a light source, and may certainly be used to replace any color as you wish.

I am currently using 3x green Leds (LTL4231N) to replace the zener in the F6.
Will the 3Led lit up during operation? Mine didn't, maybe i have connected them the wrong way round?

Apologize for newby question.
I would like to make sure this LED works.

Attachments

• IMG_1590747868474.jpg
    IMG_1590747868474.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 618
F4 Biasing Mods

I thought I would do 2 more that could be used on F4 type circuit. This is the first dumb one. The second one is less dumb (I had to use my 2.5 brain cells), I will show that one later.

In this circuit we use a TLV431 device which has a 1.24V reference which will allow us to use 4 Green leds as well as some adjustment.

The regular TL431 won't allow us to use 4 leds with the voltage adjustment we might like to have cause it has a 2.5V reference.

I haven't tested it yet, but it will perform in a similar manner to the F6 circuit.
I hope to test this tomorrow.

Attachments

• F4 Biasing Circuit with Temp Compensation.png
    F4 Biasing Circuit with Temp Compensation.png
    24 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
Less Dumb F4 Biasing Circuit

Using it like this (see circuit) gives this Voltage vs Temperature curve (using the data from the measured Resistance Curve above)

Even though this one has more adjustments, it requires more brain cells. I like using less brain cells, and I like LEDs cause you know if it is operating, so I am kind of "biased" toward the LED one above.
Pun not initially intended, but I will go with the flow.

Attachments

• NTC Adjusted TL431 Bias Circuit.png
    NTC Adjusted TL431 Bias Circuit.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 376
  • Voltage vs Temperture Curve.png
    Voltage vs Temperture Curve.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Not sure how I got hooked on this thread, because I only understand about half of it. But it is still very enjoyable to read. I think it has something to do with a recent aquiring more than a life time supply of diodes, lots of zeners, and tons of LEDs giving me hope that I'll be able to do something with. I also enjoy all the dumb references from so many non "dummies":Popworm: