Dual membrane planar magnetic (both active driven)

Decent bass!

If you make lower resonance frequency, the electrical damping and arteficial (intended, for example fabric on the magnets) mechanical damping increases, because the membrane velocity proportional 1/f, if the SPL is constant. But the part of mechanical damping, which caused by acoustical radiation, proportional the frequency. At your setup is dominant the arteficial damping. At lower res. frequ. will enough the fabric (IMO).

Decent bass!

If you make lower resonance frequency, the electrical damping and arteficial (intended, for example fabric on the magnets) mechanical damping increases, because the membrane velocity proportional 1/f, if the SPL is constant. But the part of mechanical damping, which caused by acoustical radiation, proportional the frequency. At your setup is dominant the arteficial damping. At lower res. frequ. will enough the fabric (IMO).
i am not sure what you mean i am afraid :( could you explain more ?

The drums are realistic, and are fast enough. Isn't "one note bass".

I think, if you could put the two panels side by side, the resonance point could decrease, and the Qts too. The bigger surface causes bigger coupled air mass (per panel, of course), and better acoustical coupling with air. This factor alone can reduce the Qms (resistive component of radiation impedance) - plus the lower res. point "activates" the electrical and arteficial damping better.

I wrote with "grandmother's style" for the better digestibility.

could you explain more ?
Another important thing: there isn't hole in upper bass region. This range must be represented in tonal impression, because it gives the most of bass information and the total soundstage's pillars. The one of ESL57's secrets is the well filled upper bass region (sinergised the mirage of midrange, and covered the missing bottom octaves).

Pardon! I misunderstood your question! I think, the "decent" was the question...:confused:

The resonance frequency determines its possibility of damping, more exactly: the kind of damping and its effectivity.

Example (at monopole radiation): For same SPL at 50Hz must be twice membrane velocity, than 100Hz, because the acoustical radiation impedance contains a virtual shunt inductance. At small surface and relatively big membrane mass (conventional dynamic cone) the velocity profile is "automatically" created by the
B*l=m*v*2pi*f equation* (at its linear range), which equation describe the harmonic oscillation's force requirement vs frequency, if we neglect the effect of resonance around a resonance point (and the motor is not overdamped). It referred "linear" range of speaker. At the planar, which has relatively low membrane mass, the velocity profile controlled by acoustical load (far to res point, of course), but this profile will same as conventional, but caused by other reason. This reason is the above-mentioned acoustical shunt inductivity.

* F=m*a
F=B*l
a=v*2pi*f
F: force at at oscillation's dead points
m: membrane mass
a: acceleration of membrane
B: air gap induction
l: length of conductor
v: max. instantaneous membrane velocity
f: frequency (2pi*f: angular velocity)

to be continued

The effectiveness of damping depends on the speed of the membrane. This is true at the electromagnetic damping (of course), and is true at the mesh on magnets too. Same electromagnetic motor and mesh (fabric) on magnets can generate stronger damping, if the frequency decreases, because the membrane velocity will bigger (at same SPL). The stronger damping gives flatter and broader resonance peak.

Another damping mechanism is also at work: the radiation impedance (resistance) itself. It can cause a relevant effect (see the big horns, by acoustical transformation, and the panels, if the total surface well huge). This kind of damping will gradually better, if the frequency higher.

(Note: If we put side by side a lot of conventional dynamic driver, the efficiency will higher. If we put lightweighted planars, or statics side by side, the efficiency still remain same, but the membrane excursion will reduce by tighter acoustical coupling. The max. SPL improvement will same as dynamic drivers, 6dB/number of panel's doubling)

Reactions: 1 user