DSP Xover project (part 2)

Hi Nick

Just finished building the Najda, got the board last week, it works, only very often one of the analog outputs clips, although signal is normal , there are sudden red (clipping) moments, and they are very audible, never had that with the CDX2496, I already adjusted the gain, does not seem to do the trick, what to do?

If you are not using it, try to disable the tone control section and see if that helps.

Hi

I just adjusted gain down further, now it seems ok, only the recordings that are very aggressive (like Muse) seem to have problems, they show clipping in the DCX2496 too, but are not so obvious to hear....in the Najda it gives nasty sharp sounds.

Bjorn is right: you need to lower the input gain. Keep mind that transients require a bit of extra headroom. Indeed, the frequency response plot is only valid for steady-state content.

Maybe you'd want to send me your setup file, I can have a quick look at it and I'll let you know if we can optimize it.

BTW, congrats for your build! ;) Would you post a pic?

tojoko Nadja

Hi Nick

Here a few pics, of the functional, but not yet finished, Najda DSP and my DIY dipole (& ripole) set-up, sounds very good now with the Najda not clipping anymore....

Tojoko

Attachments

• DSC00166.JPG
    DSC00166.JPG
    622.5 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC00170.JPG
    DSC00170.JPG
    761.8 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC00175.JPG
    DSC00175.JPG
    615 KB · Views: 409
Hi Nick

BTW i am Tom, aka tojoko, I use 2 18 inch woofers in a ripole design subwoofer, push-push configuration, and 2 way satellite so i use 6 channels, sub as sum, the people who heard the set up were pleasantly surprised how well it sounded, I agree!
It is driven by 2 old, but totally done up, Kenwood Basic M2's and a Behringer A500, also a bit tweeked, before the Najda I used a totally upgraded DCX2496, with build in 6 channel preamp based on the PGA2311 (3 X) this worked very well, i just wanted to try something newer and hopefully better.... till now all is well.

tojoko.

digital only version possible ?

Hi all,
Has the idea of the same board but ONLY digital been discussed with Chapark (analog components and mixed signal section (adcs and dacs) section unpopulated) . By doing so could the price be reduced a bit ?
Or could you put up a smaller version board same but only DIGITAL section kept (with only the DSP and the digital input and outputs) ?
thanks for reply

Jcga made himself a fully balanced najda
Start reading here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/215379-dsp-xover-project-part-2-a-136.html#post3545662

Really you don't want to convert from single ended to balanced. Instead IIRC the outputs of najda's DACs are balanced, before they go into the opamps, so you want to pick up from there

Chris, I looked at Jcga´s boards, and they seem very similar to what I linked to. If the DACs have balanced outputs, then I suppose that the signal is converted to SE before the CS chip, so that there is no way to use the analogue volume control in the Najda if I extract the balanced outputs.

Is there diagram from the DACs to the terminals on the Najda? That would clear things up a bit.

Last edited:
Is that the Neo8 in the middle acting as a tweeter? How are you crossing/EQing it?

Hi

Yes the NEO 8 S, improved version, lower distortion, heavier magnets (thicker)
I use them from 800 hz upwards, 24 DB L-R, with only slight EQ at 1500 hz (bump) and a bit more at 10000 hz, the frequency rises a bit at that point, then it gradually drops of to 20000 hz, i did not try to extend at that point, my hearing stops at 14000 hz......too much motorbiking and too old (55)

tojoko

Hi all,
Has the idea of the same board but ONLY digital been discussed with Chapark (analog components and mixed signal section (adcs and dacs) section unpopulated) . By doing so could the price be reduced a bit ?
Or could you put up a smaller version board same but only DIGITAL section kept (with only the DSP and the digital input and outputs) ?

The board exists potentially without the volume chip - which is the expensive bit.
Otherwise no plan to make a purely digital board, sorry.

Is there diagram from the DACs to the terminals on the Najda? That would clear things up a bit.

No there's no such diagram but if you need information don't hesitate to ask.

Possible: yes. Convenient: no. The logic behind this is that the volume chip is SE. This basically means that if you extract the differential signals of the DACs, then you loose the volume feature (you would need a pair of CS3318 for controlling the volume of 8 differential outs).
If you require differential outs, then I think the best way is either to convert from SE (you keep the volume control) or you plug your own DACs via SPDIF or I2S.

Bjorn is right: you need to lower the input gain. Keep mind that transients require a bit of extra headroom. Indeed, the frequency response plot is only valid for steady-state content.

Maybe you'd want to send me your setup file, I can have a quick look at it and I'll let you know if we can optimize it.

BTW, congrats for your build! ;) Would you post a pic?

Hi Nick

Could you have a look at the file, it is my third try, just want to know if i am adjusting the correct settings....

Tojoko

Well, I have now a Raspberry Pi Rev. 2 at home, along with a wifi dongle, a tablet and a USB hard-disk. When I find some time, I'll try to build a music server that connects via I2S to Expansion Port 1 and I'll let you know how it goes.
(@Michele, if you read this, what version of Volumio have you used for your own setup?)

Raspberry Pi over I2S

This will be exactly my setup either with piCorePlayer or with squeezelite in the background of a media player (RaspBMC) because I have a running Logitech media server. At the moment I run a HifiBerry DAC on top of the I2S of a Raspberry Pi. Excellent simple solution with native sample rates up to 192khz. Maybe you ask this people if you need support with the I2S driver of the pi.

I had a quick look at this PSU - well that's really cheap! Seems OK, but there might be one problem, which is the minimum load. According to the specs, the 5V line must deliver 0.5A and the 12V line must deliver 0.1A. In either case you should check the voltage on each line when there's nothing connected, because Najda draws very little in StandBy - and actually less than 0.5A from the 5V line in normal operation. So what you must make sure is that voltages don't drift too far away from the nominal values when there's no current drawn (and otherwise add a dummy load)
I've got the cheap PSU yesterday. It runs open loop with +-11.1V and 5.1V. I think that should be OK for a test. I will have a raspberry Pi at the 5V line too so there will be about 0.6A drawn from the Pi.

Hi,
I use a raspberry with volumio 1.1 toghether with najda. It's not my main setup but it works. I had to add hifiberry module and not switch on i2s drivers on volumio settings page.

In my case I discovered that using the hifiberry module (snd-soc-hifiberry-dac.ko) sucked. Seems to be using the wrong i2s parameters for interfacing with Najda, because I had an insane jitter and only mono sound. instead I ended up using the slightly different snd-soc-rpi-dac.ko module. That worked flawlessly.