DSP Xover project (part 2)

I'm testing rPI connected to Najda via I2S.
Working very well, and very easy to setup.

Since you already have an rpi at your side, Have you tried this thing with rpi/Najda? It seems to be a very simple USB-over-IP solution with verified RPi compatibility. If this works it would basically allow you to configure the Najda over Network, via the RPi's usb stack. Will test this myself once I can get a hold of a working rpi,

ALSO; Could you please dump the procedure for the i2s on the pi? It's supposedly included in kernel these days, but only for specific codecs? I'm assuming what you did was hack one of the codec drives to leak i2s even if the actual codec isn't present, no?

uhm...my skills with Linux are very limited...so I'm very sorry but I can' t help :sorry:
I'm using Volumio for rPI because it have the I2S capability readily available.
As I know it can work with almost any I2S device. The only limitation is on the rPI hardware that can't generate MCLK, so the device must supply it's own clock.

Last edited:
I'll experiment myself at some point with an external hard drive and a wifi dongle. Only problem: rPi's rev.B are currently out of stock here. They say they will be able to resume shipping end of January.

Because the way USB bus is handled by rPI, having USB hard drive and wifi dongle at the same time is not the best way to use rPI as Music server.
I'm using it with cable LAN and USB HDD and/or the NAS on my network.
With this configuration I never had any problem on the music stream.

Ps: you can check on Amazon. They can ship rPI in 24hrs with free shipment.

Hm, I was hoping to be able to stream music via USB and use the wifi dongle for connecting to a tablet - which would allow me to browse through the content of the hard disk.
Well, if this is not feasible, then I might just stick to my current setup (external HD, laptop and USB/I2S converter).

Well, of course it is possible, but under certain circumstance you can have some "glitch" now and then
It is probably related to which resolution your music is (mp3 or hi-res) and which use you make of the WL.
Some people solved changing the buffer size (it's a Volumio option).
I'm avoiding this potential problem with the LAN connection but I'm still able to control Volumio wirelessly with my tablet.

I believe this is a very simple and effective solution to have a high quality music server without all the hassle of a PC.
Quality wise I can't ear any differences between rPI (with Volumio and I2S out) and a Squeezbox touch I also have here.

I'm thinking to try with a I2S isolator and reclocker, but I don't know which iteration it could have with the Najda resampler...and I don't know if it worth the try or not...

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

did somebody try to connect this DAC http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-nos-192-24-dac-pcm1794-waveio-usb-input.html
to Najda (over i2s of course)? I´m planning to attach 4 of these NOS DAC for having 8 balanced outputs. I´m also planing to built a 8 Channel balanced Hypex (Ucd) amp to drive my Bastanis Atlas open baffle
Bastanis | Atlas
:) Do i understand it correct, the sampling frequency is fixed to 96 kHz?

apoo

You can choose from 48,96 or 192khz sampling frequency, I personally prefer 96k over 192k
(haven't tried 48khz). I'm using the Wave IO without any problems (Najda i2s input).

I'm using the Wave IO without any problems (Najda i2s input).

Hi dahlberg,

As I'm planning to use also the Wave IO card in the same box that the Najda card, could you plase describe how you have proceed ?

-wich type of connectors u.UFL / standard eg. Dupont used on card side
-isolated I2S or not isolated I2S out used
-lenght and type of cable
-power supply by USB or onbard PSU

Best regards,

Sorry about the picture quality. It's soldered at Najda and uf.l's at Wave IO.

samuels0002.jpg

dsp_outp.jpg

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but is it possible to get big numbers on the 2x16 LCD display? For my previous project I made a little library that uses some custom characters in the LCD character map to get the volume displayed over two lines (many such libraries exist already - google BigNum, LCD, Arduino for example). I would love to use the Najda in my system, but it´s important to be able to read the volume from a distance.

If it doesn´t exist - is there any chance you will include it in the software? Alternatively, any way of using an expansion port to output the current volume so that it can be displayed by a row of LEDs, a display (via an interpreter such a an Arduino or similar)?

I believe this is a very simple and effective solution to have a high quality music server without all the hassle of a PC.
Quality wise I can't ear any differences between rPI (with Volumio and I2S out) and a Squeezbox touch I also have here.

The rPi's are now back in stock at my distributor so I'm going to give it a try. I'll post my findings about the glitches here.

did somebody try to connect this DAC http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-nos-192-24-dac-pcm1794-waveio-usb-input.html
to Najda (over i2s of course)? I´m planning to attach 4 of these NOS DAC for having 8 balanced outputs. I´m also planing to built a 8 Channel balanced Hypex (Ucd) amp to drive my Bastanis Atlas open baffle
Bastanis | Atlas
:) Do i understand it correct, the sampling frequency is fixed to 96 kHz?

Currently Najda supports only 6 I2S outputs. I should be able to expand this to up to 10 channels, I'll look at that soon.

Otherwise, as Bengt wrote, the user sets the internal sample rate (one of 48, 96 and 192 kHz).

As I'm planning to use also the Wave IO card in the same box that the Najda card, could you plase describe how you have proceed ?

-wich type of connectors u.UFL / standard eg. Dupont used on card side
-isolated I2S or not isolated I2S out used
-lenght and type of cable
-power supply by USB or onbard PSU

Not much to say here, just keep the cable length as short as possible and, most importantly, don't power the WaveIO from Najda's expansion port. The WaveIO draws more current (500 mA) than what the expansion port supply can handle.
When I did my tests with the WaveIO, I used its isolated I2S port. It's there, so why wouldn't you use it? :)
You may also find this earlier post useful.

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but is it possible to get big numbers on the 2x16 LCD display? For my previous project I made a little library that uses some custom characters in the LCD character map to get the volume displayed over two lines (many such libraries exist already - google BigNum, LCD, Arduino for example). I would love to use the Najda in my system, but it´s important to be able to read the volume from a distance.

If it doesn´t exist - is there any chance you will include it in the software? Alternatively, any way of using an expansion port to output the current volume so that it can be displayed by a row of LEDs, a display (via an interpreter such a an Arduino or similar)?

Hmm no, the numbers for the volume are standard size, but there's also a bar showing what the volume is.

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words:

VolOnLCD.jpg

We could imagine eliminating the bar and replacing this screen with big numbers. Anyone?

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words:

View attachment 394390

We could imagine eliminating the bar and replacing this screen with big numbers. Anyone?

That looks fine! Thanks.

Another one: Can I use the full functionality without physical buttons? (remote only) I would love to get a clean, kids-safe front panel, with LCD and remote sensor protected behind an acrylic window. I suppose only the stand-by button would need to be there in case music is at full blast and we can´t find the remote. "Panic button" :)

Is that an OLED or VFD display? Would be nice with VFD, but they seem quite fragile (and create some electrical noise?)

That looks fine! Thanks.

Another one: Can I use the full functionality without physical buttons? (remote only) I would love to get a clean, kids-safe front panel, with LCD and remote sensor protected behind an acrylic window. I suppose only the stand-by button would need to be there in case music is at full blast and we can´t find the remote. "Panic button" :)

You don't need to have the buttons on the case - and you could use the Mute instead of the StandBy as a "panic button", so that your kids can't even turn on the device ;)
However, you'll need a keypad for running the IR learn procedure and for adjusting the LCD contrast. So you could build such a keypad on a stripboard and keep it in the box when you need to make changes (new IR controller for example).

Is that an OLED or VFD display? Would be nice with VFD, but they seem quite fragile (and create some electrical noise?)

Actually that's just a common 5-bucks LCD. VFDs are very expensive (I got in touch with the importer in Europe: EUR 55-75 + VAT). OLEDs are currently not supported, but I'll look at supporting one driver model.

Fir rephase and nuc

Hi all,
I recently purchased a board.
I'm very happy with it and with Software control (V.1.0.4)
Yesterday I tried a FIR filter created with rephase but no success.
I can see the input bars move but nothing on the output in NUC.
Then I tried to load a file with only a 1 trying to get a passthrough, same issue.
Probably I'm wrong in some step?

Thankyou in advance,
V.

Hi all,
I recently purchased a board.
I'm very happy with it and with Software control (V.1.0.4)
Yesterday I tried a FIR filter created with rephase but no success.
I can see the input bars move but nothing on the output in NUC.
Then I tried to load a file with only a 1 trying to get a passthrough, same issue.
Probably I'm wrong in some step?

Thankyou in advance,
V.

Hi Vince,
Did you also add a file with a "1" in the input section. As far as I can remember I had to add this also.

/Paal