DSP Xover project (part 2)

Anybody had problems with the spdif input? My started to sound bad and had drop outs, it got worse and worse until it stopped working completely. Perhaps some static electricity killed it, or some currents from my htpc where responsible, don't know. I'm using the toslink now but would be nice (if possible) to be able to fix the spdif input. I haven't opened the box up for a inspection. Suspect there are some components that has died on me.
Are you referring to the Coax SPdif?
I only ever use the optical in these days.
Have you tried that?

I mostly use I2S Exp1.

Hi !
Sorry for this slightly off topic question, but I'm putting in a box my Najda, and I can't find small plastic caps to put on pushbuttons switches of Najda's frontplate PCB...

I need to pass through a hifi2000 slimline 10mm faceplate and I don't really understand how the cap is hanged up nor the height I must choose :(

You can find this sort of Push Button Cap on AliExpress or Ebay

6x6mm Panel PCB Momentary Tactile Tact Mini Push Button Switch DIP 4pin 6x6x4.3/5/6/7.3 25 MM 6*6*4.3MM 5MM 6MM 7MM 8MM 25MM|Switches| - AliExpress

They are long enough to go through the panel. It will look a bit ordinary though. Once the board is set up with a remote most of the functionality can be used with a remote and the switches aren't needed. I cut my front panel board up and had the switch part as a separate component that I could plug in if I ever wanted to change the parts that only the switches could do.

To make a better job the rear of the front panel needs to be recessed to have the pcb mount and sit inside it, easy for modushop to do if you have a CAD Drawing for it but quite expensive. I still have mine somewhere if it would be useful to you.

Anybody had problems with the spdif input? My started to sound bad and had drop outs, it got worse and worse until it stopped working completely. Perhaps some static electricity killed it, or some currents from my htpc where responsible, don't know. I'm using the toslink now but would be nice (if possible) to be able to fix the spdif input. I haven't opened the box up for a inspection. Suspect there are some components that has died on me.

Yes. I had. Input chip died on my board. But actually I could feel voltage between grounds of both devices with my hands while connecting spdif cable.
chaparK fixed it for reasonable fee (sipping mostly if I remember).
I was planning to add some galvanic separation with transformers but actually so far I only switched to toslink connection.

Thanks, I guess using toslink will have to do.
Thinking of getting a usb i2s card, WaveIO seems to be a popular choice for Najda, But it seems to be a kind of old design to me. How long will it be supported, with drivers?
Are there other ones out there that can be used?
I2SoverUSB perhaps.

Najda under control (software). I did put it on my homepage, if anyone has another solution that's fine by me and I guess I'm missing two drivers....

http://www.dahlbergaudiodesign.se/Najda_NUC_1.1.1_1.1.2_1.1.5.zip

Lets hope for Nick to be back soon so that there will be no need for this.

Edit: It's a .zip download of driver 1.1.1-1.1.2 and 1.1.5

Thanks for hosting the files, Dahlberg, you saved my life after a PC crash: files were properly backuped but not the apps !

Best
Jean-Louis

You're welcome :)

I belive all documentation is available at page 340 if anyone else needs it.

Today, I have a moving thought for Nicolas. I completed the integration of my najda (Purchased in 2018 :))

mme7NV6.jpg

rQ4oGex.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Also FIR works with Najda

Many may not have tried to use FIR filters. I also thought that it would be a problem as there is not so much calculating power.
Calculating power is however needed in the low end but not so much in the upper end. So if you plan ahead then you can still get it to work for you.

I have a three-way setup. So I did measure hi, mid and bass drivers with REW. Then I calculated with REW filtering for hi and mid driver. These filters and measurement were then imported one at a time to rePhase. See the guide on rePhase homepage.

In rePhase set (see box: Impulse settings) taps for each drive to 1000. When you save you get a red curve which shows how close the saved 1000taps FIR filter is to what you did try to get.
You get very close with the hi driver. Mid not so but probably good enough. With the base, don't try to do anything but set the low and possible hi-pass in "linear phase" tab filter setting.

The saved FIR filters for each driver can be directly imported into Najda

If you only want to use rePhase then just set hi- and low pass Linear-Phase filters and save them with 1000 taps.

Ok so you are not able to do room EQ with Najda. But this can be done if you use a computer in your playback chain.
FIR DRC (digital room correction) filters can also be produced with REW+rePahse or only rePhase but doing it with REW makes it easier.

But I have finally come to the conclusion that room correction filter design is very complex compared to speaker filter setup. So I have been using DRCDesigner (freeware) that can produce very complex DRC filters.
There is very little to be found on the internet on how to use DRCDesigner.
Here is the only tutorial I can find.

I use jRiver for playback and FIR filter convolution.

Reactions: 1 user
Some years ago I dabbled with Najda's FIR filters for room EQ purposes; I also used rePhase then. I came up against same restrictions mentioned above. I could get it slightly better by reducing sampling rate to 48kHz.

The one feature that Nick promised and in the end never delivered on was decimation, which I had hoped would give Najda better low frequency processing capabilities.

I think Nic reliced that the processing capasity is to low and that DRC was and is therfore a dead end.

But I don’t think my solution (see my last post) is that bad as I was able to buy a Lenovo M92p i5 prosessor 8Gb ram Win10 pro and did install a SSD 500Gb for 120€ +50€(ssd). These can be found on ebay or elswere.
This is much more DSP calculation capacity than any miniDSP or such.
And I can manage the computer toples from my iPad over VNC.

What I would have wanted from Nic is to be able to acces all 8 channals separatly ower usb from the PC. Then separate base and sub channals could be equalised in the PC.

One feature that I also think could have been easy to do is to be able to change witch saved filter settings is used when changing betwen different inputs; analog/toschlink/usb.