DSP Xover project (part 2)

If you are interested you should read an article in volume 4 of John Walton about sonic performance of different regulators!
I am interested but can only find a few measurements and talk about the history of the superreg circuit at that link. Do you know of anywhere with less science and hard fact and more of the rumor and hearsay we audio people thrive on? Somewhere with listening impressions of various PSU circuits for example.

I have done a few quick searches for something better than the traditional LM317/337 for audio but had trouble finding good information on the impact of any more modern or discrete alternative. Good to see the superreg board on the diyaudio store though- that's a solid recommendataion in itself.

I have done a few quick searches for something better than the traditional LM317/337 for audio but had trouble finding good information on the impact of any more modern or discrete alternative.

You can find information in the recent article (2012) about measurements comparing many regulator designs with listening tests by Jack Walton in Linear Audio Vol 4. The most important of the comparisons are on www.linearaudio.netunder Articles (look for ‘Color graphs for Jack Walton's regulator article in Vol 4’).

Cheers

Sigi

Sound quality of NAJDA

Hello Mike,
We compared the NAJDA against the 20 years old professional Sony SRP F 700.
The Sony is still really good! But NAJDA is more open and flexible.
We compared against DEQX MKII. NAJDA ist much better in bass and mids.
We compared against very hi tuned Beringer DCX 2493. I like the NAJDA a little bit more.
But the NAJDA is tuned with a very expensive Sjöström PSU as Signitz discribed.
Cheers
Ulf

I'm looking at designing a front board that would support all the bits required to operate the Najda: buttons, leds, IR sensor, rotary encoder and display.

If there's interest for such a board, we can discuss the details here.
As usual when we design something for more than one person, we need to make compromises - that's the hard thing about it.

I've attached a sketch of what this PCB could look like. Don't pay too much attention to the details, it's just a sketch.

FrontBoard.png

Leds would be the standard type 3mm pitch.
Buttons would also be standard 10mm x 10mm.
Only one encoder type would be supported (Bourns, with optional center button for Mute).
IR sensor to be decided.
2 display pinouts could be supported in order to cater various types of displays.
The board would come with all the required cables if necessary.

In the sketch, the PCB is 40 mm high so that it can fit in a 1U case. I could even make it a little shorter, about 35 mm, so that it fits in those 1U cases that have less space available inside. This however forces us to use a regular size display (the larger ones don't fit in a 1U case).

Thoughts? :)

Nick

Hello Mike,
We compared the NAJDA against the 20 years old professional Sony SRP F 700.
The Sony is still really good! But NAJDA is more open and flexible.
We compared against DEQX MKII. NAJDA ist much better in bass and mids.
We compared against very hi tuned Beringer DCX 2493. I like the NAJDA a little bit more.
But the NAJDA is tuned with a very expensive Sjöström PSU as Signitz discribed.
Cheers
Ulf

Hello, Ulf! Thanks for your reply! What is the name of Sjöström PSU? I checked the web page, but there are many regulators and PSU.

Nick, give me one! I'll pay immediately! May be you will able to send it together with Najda board?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your enthusiasm :)

The front board is only in a pre-development stage, it's time to discuss about what it should look like (in particular whether we want it to fit in a 1U case). I don't believe this is going to be ready before July unless we quickly find a consensus (which is not likely ;) ).

Your Najda has already shipped, please see your mailbox for the tracking number.

All the best,

Nick

In the sketch, the PCB is 40 mm high so that it can fit in a 1U case. I could even make it a little shorter, about 35 mm, so that it fits in those 1U cases that have less space available inside. This however forces us to use a regular size display (the larger ones don't fit in a 1U case).

Thoughts? :)

Nick

Hi Nick,
This was interesting :)
How about making some weak Points so we can break it in two or Three?

best,
Paal

Can i do testing with lcd/buttons with the Najda with only the 5V connected, or will that damage something?

No, that's a bad idea. You should supply all power lines when you switch on the Najda.

How about making some weak Points so we can break it in two or Three?

Yes, this is a good idea! I need to see if this can be done though.

You forgot...

Hello! I just ordered Najda DSP and I would like to know if someone was able to compare the sound quality of Najda vs pfofessional DSP processors like Xilica, XTA etc.
Mike

Lake. I had Lake and XTA dp226 (not the 448). How do they compare? We will find out when I order and get my Najda!

XTA dp226 was ok but not that great, I am talking sound quality. Lake was almost great. Najda, we will see...

Some progress on the front board:
- It's now 36 mm high so it should easily fit in any 1U case. 36 mm is actually the height of standard displays.
- Compatible with 2 types of displays (the ones that have the connector on top 80 x 36 mm, and the ones that have the connector on the side 85 x 36 mm).
- The led section can be separated

FrontBoard1.png

I think I have now a front board layout that could be final.

I've seen rotary encoders that have a central push-button, could be used as a mute switch. If such an encoder is used, then the original mute switch in the lower right corner is redundant and should be left unmounted.

View attachment 419132

Great idea - save all that point to point wiring.