DML PA systems

Compression drivers are usually massively efficient, easily over 98db/w@1m due to horn loading. DML drivers will really battle to get close to that.
And a 15" PA speaker will be similarly efficient.
I think the Tectonic panels did mention a sensitivity of 101db/w somewhere, but I somehow doubt that figure. They might have measured that at 50cm or something.
Have you done any sensitivity measurements?
I'm gonna try to do some calibrated tests, finally got a dB meter and clamp meter. But in practice my plates does seem very effective when I look at how much amplifier power I needed to keep up with the subs. Of course a typical 1m on axis test does not actually tell you the total efficiency, but even so I think that figure will be decent on EPS plates.

Compression drivers are usually massively efficient, easily over 98db/w@1m due to horn loading. DML drivers will really battle to get close to that.
And a 15" PA speaker will be similarly efficient.
I think the Tectonic panels did mention a sensitivity of 101db/w somewhere, but I somehow doubt that figure. They might have measured that at 50cm or something.
Tectonic gives 91 db(/w at 1m ? not mentioned) on their spec sheet for the DML 500. That seems more realistic. But the DML has also output from the back, that energy is not accounted for.
https://www.tectonicaudiolabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Tectonic_SpecSheets_DML500_FINAL.pdf

Have you done any sensitivity measurements?
I'm gonna try to do some calibrated tests, finally got a dB meter and clamp meter. But in practice my plates does seem very effective when I look at how much amplifier power I needed to keep up with the subs. Of course a typical 1m on axis test does not actually tell you the total efficiency, but even so I think that figure will be decent on EPS plates.
No I have not had the opportunity yet to do absolute sensitivity/SPL measurements. I still need a 'scope and a calibrated SPL meter for that.

But I have done relative measurements against a pair of 12" Wharfedale PA cabs that I've been using for many years. The cabs are specified as 98db/w@1m, and they are indeed much louder, subjectively, than polycarb twinwall panels even with 4 x 25HFE's on them. Comparative measurements are difficult because the cabs are very much brighter due to compression drivers for the HF, and the DMLs are flatter overall.
As you say, PA cabs only work in the forward direction, and panels are omni. It's a very difficult comparison.

Hello everyone,

I have now read some of the thread "A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker" as well as this thread. I am currently planning to equip a room with a 7.2 DML system. I am currently planning to use DAEX30HESF-4 exciters for this. The AMP will be a Sony STR-DN1080.

Unfortunately, I am very new to the whole subject. What do you recommend as exciter material? I have often read that either EPS or a canvas covered with plywood is highly recommended.

Would you recommend anything else?

Designed som grills to give the fragile GPS some protection, and also made a version for the back side that will hold the exciters in a similar way to Andres design. Not the prettiest perhaps...it is a bit tricky since I have to split the print in four parts to fit on the print surface but looks acceptable I think.

Started printing parts for the back side, and will take pictures of that and do measurements when I have a complete speaker assembled.

PXL_20240207_213413084.MP.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I will make photos when I completed a plate, some more printing to do first. But here is a pic or the central part of the back that will be surrounded by grill, same as in the front:
PXL_20240208_094000915.MP.jpg

The white material is TPU which is a bit flexible and that holds the exciters in place very gently.
I have been trying to soften up the suspension on some X32-4's by playing a low sine for many hours, and I do think they seem fine unsupported and it is what the manufacturer recommends, but I'm quite confident that this support solution is precise enough not put any strain on the exciters.

Reactions: 1 users
@Leob
Hey man, will you allow some questions re the PA application and something that I have been searching for. Asking you due to your hands-on experience. I need a pair of speakers for my application where I want equal sound stage at the front and back of the stereo pair. One side facing a seating area and the other the dance floor and sound desk. Would you feel that a DML system would be worth investigating? I am trying to stay full range assisted with a sub

Thanks for that. My CNC working area is 300mm x 180 mm x 40mm. This would be the max size for each frame or plate for frameless. Would you please recommend a setup in regard to max power density and exciter units to get me started?

Being in a regional area, my shopping options are limited and AliExpress is my most economical shipping option. I am also weary of the Dayton brand. I just received a Dayton Reference passive radiator that has all gluing off concentric by almost 5mm

I think I will stay my reservations re the Dayton brand and order one pair of DAEX30HESF-4 units to get started with instead of unknowns from Ali. Your results inspire enough confidence to give them a go

I might have missed this, can the back of the driver be attached to a stand and the panel free air? Or would such a setup try to vibrate the stand too?

I think 300x1800mm is too small to get a good response. I ended up with 4x40w exciters on a plate to get maximum power densitity, with plate size of 330x500.

I cannot recommend the DAEX30HESF-4 since they seems to have a tendency to start distorting after prolonged usage.
I really think you should try to get some Xcite X32-4 delivered. They are cheaper, sound better and seems more reliable.

I have not really tried using an exciter that is fixed, and not so sure it is a good idea. The exciter should be as free as possible I think to mimimize the vertical strain from weight of the exciter or plate, so I just lightly suspend them as in my picture above to avoid sagging. As you can see the Xcite does not have any way of mounting it at the back, unlike the Daytons. But according to Dayton that is not the intended usage anyway.

I got some of these that can be mounted on stand, or pole on the sub (if making an adapter): https://www.thomann.de/se/stageworx_ts_100_pro_cross_bar.htm
Then hang the framed plates from those.