diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

Ok, thanks for the advice! And what is the amp in the photo?

Though I will be using 16ohm speakers, I don't want to be limited to that in the future.

Is there any reason why I couldn't just add a couple pairs (or more) of output transistors to the HB design? I have room on the heatsinks and could just wire the ballast resistors etc. off-board.

Assuming that is acceptable, what determines the practical limit of number of output pairs? Is the primarily the power supply/heatsink limitations or would the driver circuit need to be modified at some point?

Does the negative feedback or anything else need to be scaled when adding output transistor pairs?

Thanks very much for the help.

OK, thanks for the tips! and what is that amp in the photo? :)

I will be using 16ohm speakers, but would like to be able to change that in the future.

Is there anything preventing me from adding a couple (or more) output transistors to the HB? I have plenty of room on the heatsinks and could just wire the ballast resistors etc. off-board.

If not, what limits the practical number of output pairs? Is it just the power supply/heatsink, or does the driver circuit need to be modified at some point?

Does the amount of negative feedback or anything else need to be considered when adding output pairs?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Ok, thanks for the advice! And what is the amp in the photo?

Though I will be using 16ohm speakers, I don't want to be limited to that in the future.

Is there any reason why I couldn't just add a couple pairs (or more) of output transistors to the HB design? I have room on the heatsinks and could just wire the ballast resistors etc. off-board.

Assuming that is acceptable, what determines the practical limit of number of output pairs? Is the primarily the power supply/heatsink limitations or would the driver circuit need to be modified at some point?

Does the negative feedback or anything else need to be scaled when adding output transistor pairs?

Thanks very much for the help.

that is my 9 pair output honey badgers with the board redesigned to fit a particular heatsink and fabricated in china.....and no, i do not sell boards....;)

yes, it is possible to just add pairs externally to the board in your honey badger....it can be done as long as you do it right...

I have been thinking of the same thing.... plan to build a 5ch..... badger.. 60ish Vdc rails... 300mm heatsinks.. thinking 2 Xtra pairs pr Board and........... .

AudioSan, sounds familiar

Sure seemed logical (even 8rails?) to me last year but in after thought the lesson I learned (the hard way' too) was
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID ! One can always expand multiples of a good design/proven build, even dream exponentially.

But, by the time one collects all that is required and gains the knowledge and discipline to do it, your mind will have changed many times.

The odds are, Confusion shows you beauty is simplicity.
I had to follow Pete's old trail.. back to ole fav, Leach (via pair of Heath AA-1800) to clear my 'overamp-bition'

Charles

Oscillation noise issue

Hello, I posted about an oscillation noise hiss i was getting a while ago.
I tried everything you can think of to get rid of it and ruled out a huge amount of things.
Ive learnt alot fixing this amp board.
I was getting an oscillation which was an audible hiss from the output, all the way through the power bias circuit, to the collector of Q1, then up the gain stages forming the loop.
One thing i tried tonight was adding a 100uf across D3 to see if the zener was making noise.
It made it worse. So i took C6 out all together.
This broke the loop and ceased the oscillation in all parts of the amp circuit.
Has anyone else had this oscillation issue.
It was quite loud and rendered the amp useless for a long time.
Ive only just fixed it tonight.
Hopefully this post helps someone if they have a similar issue

(This Honey Badger had the oscillation from since i first built it)

Last edited:
Also i could not have learnt enough, or be pointed in the right direction without the awesome help of my Mentor ClassC.
I'm a mechanic by trade and am fully self taught in electronics.
Its great to have someone as good and understanding as ClassC to give me so much of his time. I could not have progressed so far without his help.

Also i could not have learnt enough, or be pointed in the right direction without the awesome help of my Mentor ClassC.
I'm a mechanic by trade and am fully self taught in electronics.
Its great to have someone as good and understanding as ClassC to give me so much of his time. I could not have progressed so far without his help.

Youre welcome. Glad my input helped you with a positive result .. :D