• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"

Would you like a through hole version of the D3?

• Yes

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Maybe, depends on the performance

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks Ryan. I couldn’t have done it without you...literally, the SMD stuff would have been too much for me I think. I’m so glad to be relaxing and enjoying music right now...going through every genre from jazz ensembles to rock to orchestral I am very happy right now.

@Nilton...I missed your question on the open baffles. They are Tang Band W8-1808 up top with Acoustic Elegance Dipole 15 below. Frequencies are handled by a First Watt B5 with my DIY F2J mono blocks driving the Tang Bands and some Rotel HT amps bridged driving the AE 15s. I have a Jamo Sub that fills in the very bottom end a little as well.

Thanks Ryan. I couldn’t have done it without you...literally, the SMD stuff would have been too much for me I think. I’m so glad to be relaxing and enjoying music right now...going through every genre from jazz ensembles to rock to orchestral I am very happy right now.

@Nilton...I missed your question on the open baffles. They are Tang Band W8-1808 up top with Acoustic Elegance Dipole 15 below. Frequencies are handled by a First Watt B5 with my DIY F2J mono blocks driving the Tang Bands and some Rotel HT amps bridged driving the AE 15s. I have a Jamo Sub that fills in the very bottom end a little as well.

Tks @Chromenuts!

It is beautiful and appears to sounds great too!

Rgds

Hi @Ben Mah

Tks for reply. Understood... But in your opinion, what should be the best solution?

Maybe 2 individual power supplies, a dual choke inout power supply for I/V stage with a bridge rectifier with DC closest to voltage operation of 6N2P and a single psu for the DAC inputs?

Tks!

For the 6N2P i am using a setup like this :
http://lampizator.eu/lampizator/references/SATCH/IMG_5501.jpg
It sounds very nice. I use one power supply for the high voltage and another psu with two independent windings for the 6.3V heaters with some kind of soft-start and lm317 regulation. Its based on this design : Tube DC heater PSU with soft start - iAMP - DIY way to build Your own amplifier

Attachments

• IMG_5739.jpg
    IMG_5739.jpg
    925 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
You're welcone, glad it's all worked out for you. :)

Dear Ryan,

As you mentioned that D3 boards are developed in cooperation with Mr John from EC Designs, so Im curious if boards design was influenced by John´s Direct Interpolation concept...

I have 2 TDA1541A S1 single crown, in your opinion, what should be the best configuration for using both chips in the DAC? I also would like to get a I/V tube stage with 6N2P as per Lampizators project already shown in a previous post.

Also, what kind of inputs are suitable for this DAC? Are possible multiple inputs, like USB, SPDIF and I2S and also a bluetooth receiver? Concerning I2S, what type of connector is recommended? Converter board to SIM is required only for I2S?

Sorry for too many questions, we can chat by MP?

Tks!
Nilton

Attachments

• Lampizator I_V 6N2P.jpg
    Lampizator I_V 6N2P.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 249
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi @Ben Mah

Tks for reply. Understood... But in your opinion, what should be the best solution?

Maybe 2 individual power supplies, a dual choke inout power supply for I/V stage with a bridge rectifier with DC closest to voltage operation of 6N2P and a single psu for the DAC inputs?

Tks!

There is no best solution since "best" is determined by the individual. We all have our tastes and preferences.

I used to have tube IV output stage, tube preamp, and tube amplifiers. Now I have IV resistor into a single ended Sony VFET preamp and single ended Tokin SIT mono block amplifiers (all solid state).

I have enough gain in my system in conjunction with my high sensitivity horn speakers that an IV resistor (hand wound, approximately 65 Ohms if I remember correctly) is enough. No need for an additional gain stage between the IV resistor and preamp.

After experiencing solid state with VFETs and SITs - they have similar properties to triodes - I would not go back to noise and hiss of tubes.

As for D3 board and tube IV, definitely keep the supplies separate. One has low voltage requirements and the other has high voltage requirements.

Choice of power supply for the tubes is up to you. There are plenty of examples out there and many opinions on what is best, whether tube or solid state rectifiers, choke input or capacitor input, low DCR or high DCR chokes, electrolytic or film capacitors, etc. Definitely though, I would not provide so much voltage that excess voltage needs to be dropped. PSUDII is a good power supply simulation program that may be used to come up with a power supply that provides the B+ that you need.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks Vunce

@Ben

You’re already enjoying the view from where I have been climbing toward. I haven’t pulled out my tube equipment in a long while even with just my DCB1/F2J combination.

I have been a busy hoarding greedy boy. Although I’ve collected several amps that I want to build I’d say the SONY VFET and SissySIT have moved to the top of my list...along with the Iron Pumpkin pre.

My horns getting damaged have been a set back, but I’m working on a plan to build something that will have even higher sensitivity and imaging that won’t have my head in a vise.

I wanted to know if you wound your iv resistors yourself? John from EC mentioned wire wound was the way to go with iv resistors. If so, any resources you can point to on the process?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here is how I wound my resistors:

DIY_Copper_Wire_Resitors

I used Isotan Constantin wire (or something similar) that I purchased on ebay.

The wire is available in various resistances. The wire diameter is very small, so taking the insulation off the ends and keeping the wires from tangling was challenging.

Here is a picture of my diy resistors. Each channel has a 15R and 50R resistor in series. In previous incarnations of my TDA1541A dac, I had used 50R and 15R resistors separately in conjunction with a 5842 tube gain stage.

I cover the later resistors with epoxy to protect the delicate wires from accidental breakage.

Fittingly, the D3 is also the third edition of my TDA dac. The first was point to point wired and the second was on diy copper foil board (as suggested by Thorsten Loesch in the big TDA1541A thread).

Attachments

• D3 IV resistors.jpg
    D3 IV resistors.jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 323
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Ben
Go try a Shinkoh 2w for Tda I/V

Cheers

No changes for me. I am very happy with the sound of my system.

Besides, perhaps my diy resistors are just as good or even better than the Shinkohs. :D

Fellow diyAudio members have also done their own diy Isotan and Manganin IV resistors and have really liked the results. So you never know.

Uriah
Followed your suggestion for winding Manganin. Worked perfectly once I learned how to deal with wire I really can hardly see!
I built 2 x 60r resistors for I/V stage of my 1541a DAC. Went with bifilar winding to make it simple for first shot. I used a short piece of round wood (end of a disposable chop stick) covered with 2 sided tape. I drilled a small hole through each end to attach firmly copper lead out wires. This step is important as the 46 gauge wire is so thin it is easy to break, so you want the leads to be completely firm so the Manganin sees no stress if the leads move. I had tried many different commercial resistors. My Manganin resistors replaced Caddock TF020.

Immediate success. They dropped the sound floor resulting in much more micro info to appear. Yet another step forward in quest for natural relaxed but detailed sound. A lot of noise between instruments disappears. Bass extended. Sound stage on some recordings much wider.

Each resistor took about 6" of wire, so I have used 1 foot of my 100 foot roll. That means my resistors cost 20 cents each. Given your finding that they leave naked foil behind, and my experience that they dust best Caddock, Amtrans etc then I expect they are in the league of Rohpoint advocated by ThorstenL and OliverMei. Big difference in price however. I believe when I asked for a quote, they were in the range of $35 each.

I suspect that resistors of this quality have the biggest impact with tiny signals early in the chain. So my I/V is a big impact. I do not use a preamp or any other resistive device in the direct signal path. Passive linestage is now based on Dave Slagle's amazing autoformers. I am now intrigued to build resistors for the key locations of my amps.

I am writing after listening for about 2 hours. There is no other item that has not developed and opened up during the first 100 hrs so there may be more to come.

It's good to see you putting the thin Manganin wire to good use - there's a bit of a 'knack' to it and once you get used to it ....

I have found that the Rhopoint resistors are actually a slightly 'better sound' than our hand made ones - perhaps it's the lower noise or something, but the low level details seemed a bit clearer - not that much in it actually.

I use their Econister range ones and they're about $6 ea, but the small quantity surcharge is about $30, I think - I didn't find any difference in the sound with the 0.01% tolerance ones.

I also found that using the Isotan wire (also known as Constantan) to make diy resistors ended up quite similar to the sound of the 'Naked' Vishays (TC 2575s) - surprise, surprise.

The English Manganin has a slightly different sound also (a bit brighter, up top freqs) and nearly died with the prices - same thing with Shore's in the States.

If I win Tattslotto, I'll lash out and see about a couple of Dave Slagle's valve copper resistors - I tried winding copper Rs here with #32 enamelled transformer wire but mixed success - a bit dull and slow sound - (a not very precise description, sorry)

It's all good interesting diy stuff, eh!

Hi SoundBrazil,

Dear Ryan,
As you mentioned that D3 boards are developed in cooperation with Mr John from EC Designs, so Im curious if boards design was influenced by John´s Direct Interpolation concept...

All of Johns work and sharing has influenced me, its amazing how much he has given diyers

I have 2 TDA1541A S1 single crown, in your opinion, what should be the best configuration for using both chips in the DAC? I also would like to get a I/V tube stage with 6N2P as per Lampizators project already shown in a previous post.

You could go balanced and use a good quality transformer for iv conversion?

Also, what kind of inputs are suitable for this DAC? Are possible multiple inputs, like USB, SPDIF and I2S and also a bluetooth receiver? Concerning I2S, what type of connector is recommended? Converter board to SIM is required only for I2S?

TDA1541A accepts I2S, Simultaneous, and multiplexed offset binary. Most diyers have come to the conclusion that simultaneous sounds the best by far - this is what I use and recommend.
Both the I2StoSIM and the D3 PCBs use u.fl connectors.

Sorry for too many questions, we can chat by MP?

Yeah no problem, also good to chat here so we can all help each other.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
@Ben

Thanks for the link with DIY resistor information. I had searched the subject more than once and never come across that particular source.

Can I ask what gauge wire you chose?

I’m on the fence about pursuing making my own resistors. I’m wondering if I can successfully do a better job than what is available commercially at a reasonable price.

John from EC seemed very enthusiastic about the Welwyn wire wound resistors which can be had for a couple bucks each from Mouser.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have two sizes:

-0.15mm dia. (34.6 AWG equivalent), 27.7 Ohm/m of Constantin/Isotan

-0.07mm dia., 53.2 Ohm/m, I can't remember whether it is Constantin/Isotan or Manganin, as it was not written.

Both wires were purchase years ago from sellers on ebay. My purchase history for those years are no longer available so I cannot verify the composition of the smaller diameter wire.

The 0.15mm diameter was quite manageable to work with, but the 0.07mm diameter wire was as finer than hair and more difficult to handle, but still doable.

When I bought the wires years ago, they were readily available in small quantities at very reasonable prices so the cost was low compared to the very expensive resistors that some diyers were trying.

Finally!!!...It’s Alive!!

I stumbled a little trying to adjust the offset, but then realized that I needed to connect the input side of the D3 boards and everything went perfectly.

The CMx supplies are swinging between 25.5V and 26.5V as observed so far. Not sure if I want to try and nudge it up a little for the lower output supply yet or not. It is working and does swing up to low 26.xxV region.

They are wired up in dual/mono configuration.

Using only some parallel Caddock MK132 on the output as iv resistors creating a 110 Ohm load.

It really sounds wonderful. As sweet and natural as I remember my Rotel 855...even better.

It’s taken forever it seems for me to pull this together, but I am really happy with the results.

I am finally using the gain potential of my system. My DCB1 Hypnotize based preamp has Jensen iron on the outputs giving me about 6dB. I am turning my pots up to 50-75% to get ”satisfying...enthusiastic” levels.

I am currently using my experimental open baffles as my horns were knocked over and damaged recently. The horn system is more efficient.

The sound is open with these baffles (LOL)...the stage not as restricted as the horns are more directional in my space which is a bit small for them. Just overall a natural analog like quality to the sound.

I am finally enjoying the work I’ve put into having a digital front end.

Very nice setup Chrome!!! Good job on getting it going!

Mark K.

Hi Ryan,

Hi SoundBrazil,

All of Johns work and sharing has influenced me, its amazing how much he has given diyers

So, could you consider D3 design as a Direct Interpolation DAC?

You could go balanced and use a good quality transformer for iv conversion?
Only output transformers instead of tubes? I really like to try a Lampizator 6N2P tube stage... Have you ever tried this?

TDA1541A accepts I2S, Simultaneous, and multiplexed offset binary. Most diyers have come to the conclusion that simultaneous sounds the best by far - this is what I use and recommend.
Both the I2StoSIM and the D3 PCBs use u.fl connectors.
I did not find so many players/transport units with i2s outputs, and I need a versatile dac so that I can switch it from transport/streamer to TV, to PC and also to my cell phone by bluetooth. Is it possible to have I2S, SPDIF, USB and Bluetooth inputs? If it is possible, SIM would be used only when I2S input is selected?

Tks for all your help and patience with a newbie...
Nilton