DIY phono preamp - cheap and simple!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
mouser or digikey

are good sources. you have to search for .0033uF though. that's the trouble i found. some are listed as 3.3nF. some are 3300pf and some are .0033uF. there are 1% values stocked of the 10nF, but the 3.3nF you have to get 2% ones, and hand match them. it is pretty easy w/ a decent hand-held dvm that reads capacitance. the absolute value might not be on, but you should be able to get closely matched pairs. i bought 10 caps, and matched out pairs rather easily. not sure which brands were which...but if you search mouser for the .0033uF 2% you should find them. same w/ .01uF and 1%.

hope this helps. i'm actually building another of richard's designs that uses the same cap values ;)

ahhhh, thank you!

Is this OK?

Mouser Part #: 140-PF2A332F Page 508
Mfr. Part #: 140-PF2A332F Data Sheet
Mfr: Xicon
Category: Polyester Film Capacitors
Description: Xicon 2% Radial Polyester Film Capacitors CAP 100V .0033uF

I know he calls for polypropylene...

The other cap is:

Mouser Part #: 594-2222-460-41003
Mfr. Part #: 222246041003
Mfr: Vishay/BC Components
Category: Film Capacitors
Description: Vishay/BC Components Film Capacitors .01UF 63V 1%

Joined 2004
Paid Member
those are the exact ones i bought. i bought a number of different kinds, and think i got some from digikey as well. i went to check the amp...and i ended up using some 400v jobbers from bc components. might be that they were polypropolene, and the others were polyester. sorry...can't remember as it has been a while. maybe check digikey too. they might have been lower tolerance, but as i said...i matched them here. they were cheap enough that buying 10 didn't break the bank ;)

Geek said:
According to the specs, MM.

I am not saying your wrong but where on that page does it say its MM? just curious as I looked at pages like that before I asked. Maybe the "Samarium Cobalt magnet" bit?

ebijma said:
The vsps is should work fine with a Stanton 500.
Nice homepage by the way.
You did a good job on your gainclone.
Thank you :)

ebijma said:
Sorry to see you destroyed the looks of you turntable.

LOL! I bought it when I was 14, stickers were cool back then:clown:

maxw said:
I am not saying your wrong but where on that page does it say its MM? just curious as I looked at pages like that before I asked. Maybe the "Samarium Cobalt magnet" bit?

The output impedance and output level. 47K ohms and 4.7mV is indigenous to a MM cartridge. An MC wouldda said like 120 ohms impedance (or something low thereabouts) and perhaps 500uV output. Though there are some high-output MC carts.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.