DIY F2 clone

Nelson Pass said:
Here's an example of two copies of an F2 circuit, but with two
different gain devices.

Mr. Pass, there looks to be about 80+% less distortion from the original circuit with this new gain device. Now that's also very appealing to the other F amps using the 240 mosfet. Is this device easily obtainable for us simple folks?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
what's wrong with these ?

:devilr:

Attachments

• vt4cunitedelectronics.jpg
    vt4cunitedelectronics.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,220
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Nothin ZM,
I heard a push-pull 845 11 years ago that was to die for.
Course back then using such high voltage was discouraged, at least for those of us who were not great DIYers.

I think these days, building a similiar creature would put me back some serious coin in iron. But I still think about it.

fff0 said:

Is the Mystery part, Lovoltech LU1014D?

So is the replacement part supose to be more superior compared to Lovoltech?

Can be interesting. I cannot find any transconductance figure published in the datasheet. Reading the Id-Vgs graph, I might say that the transconductance at 3V Vgs is about 35 - which is high.

I believe the search of the device should focus on finding a "Flat" transconductance behavior vs Vgs around the bias point. In the current F2, it is about 2.5A Drain current. Then a high transconductance figure will help to minimize the Vgs swing, so hopefully bring more linearity to the system. Certainly if we can reduce the bias current without harm to the performance, I would love to - energy saving is certainly a good thing. A new device might provide a chance to look at the bias point again.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The mystery part is from SemiSouth, the SJEP120R125.

1200 volts, 136 watts, 13 amps.

Already history, being replaced by something even more expensive.

I have an F2a article using it nearly ready for publication, and three
other prototype amplifier designs under test.

:cool: