DIY F2 clone

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is not another Lovoltech. I think that SemiSouth is potentially
destined for big success. They've got lots of patents, apparently their
own fab equipment, and Silicon Carbide process that makes for better
switching in converters for solar cell arrays and electric cars.

It is a coincidence that it makes for such a good audio part.

The SJEP120R063 samples for around $60.

:cool:

SiC-MOSFET

:devilr:

Attachments

• sic.jpg
    sic.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,587
Another direction

Another direction that I have tried in the last 2 days was to look at smaller devices. It appears that these devices might have a better chance to have a "flat" transconductance vs Drain current characteristics. For example, I found that for IRF9610, the gm curve is rather flat between -1.2A to -1.8A (Max rating), giving us a +/-0.3A swing possibility.

Assuming I need 5W into 8 Ohm for my F2, the current swing will be +/-1.2A. If I can parallel 4 IRF9610, I will be able to get this swing. Of course, there are many other things to be thought through - like reliability of IRF9610 biased to such a high current (1.5A), total dissipation, input capacitance etc.... Still a lot to think about...

But these device are much cheaper and more readily available. Hope after some more digging, something pops up.

Nelson Pass said:
This is not another Lovoltech. I think that SemiSouth is potentially
destined for big success. They've got lots of patents, apparently their
own fab equipment, and Silicon Carbide process that makes for better
switching in converters for solar cell arrays and electric cars.

It is a coincidence that it makes for such a good audio part.

The SJEP120R063 samples for around $60.

:cool:

They won't make any inroads into either industry as those prices.

:)

Will F2's be upgradeable to the new version?

Dear Mr. Pass,

I know it is not likely but my curiosity got the best of me.

Will cloning be encouraged for the new version? Offering these new JFET's to the DIY'ers could help absorb some of that minimum order (or we can only hope such might be helpful).

I can see this device being used in multiples for the PASS line, also. Even then, if matching was required maybe we could help absorb some of the devices that do not make the grade?

Nothing more desirable than unobtanium!

Thanks for keeping the hobby EXCITING!!!

Rick McInnis

Can this be an interesting alternative?

I found BUZ905 rather interesting.

A P-channel MOSFET, with fairly stable transconductance. If biased at 2.5A and expecting a +/- 1A swing, the transconductance seems to vary from ~0.97 to ~1.2. Power and current handling are OK as a direct drop-in to F2. Linearity looks much better than IRF.

Certainly some changes needed as this is a P-device. The N-channel complementary BUZ900 is good but not as good as the P-one.

F2 question

Hi,

Could someone please answer this question:
From the F2 schematic, it looks like the Source of Q2 (the current source device)
is connected to the Drain of Q1 (the gain device) . Is that correct?

I want to make sure that this is the case because in the orginal Zen amp, the drain
of Q2 was connected to the drain of Q1.

Thanks