DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

I switched from a Class-D amp and the change is incredible. The sound is more transparent, the stage is bigger and deeper, and the instruments are more clearly distributed. Before, the sound was also transparent but it was sometimes more exhausting to listen to music. I can now listen relaxed quiet and very loud without it feeling tiring. The bass also fills more defined and the treble not so sharp. All in all, the amplifier has been more than worth it. If one hesitates to tackle the project I can only say it's worth it.

EDIT: I'll make pictures later when I have time.

Reactions: 5 users
Here are a few pictures as promised.
In the rear plate are unfortunately two holes too many. I have only later read that the inputs should be close to each other. There are maybe 1-2 things that could be improved. But I am also as I said 100% satisfied.
IMG_20230507_150239.jpg
IMG_20230507_150209.jpg
IMG_20230507_150157.jpg
IMG_20230507_150036.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
I don't know if I'm allowed to post the picture. It is on page 63 in "How to wire an Audio Amplifier". I didn't do it that way either, but I had the option to do it later.

On page 38 it says: The left and right RCA receptacles on the source and receiving equipment will bemounted next to eachother–again, in the interests of minimizing the inter-channel loop area. The signal grounds of the RCAinput sockets are BONDED TOGETHER. The sockets are insulated from the chassis to prevent an internalground loop

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if I'm allowed to post the picture. It is on page 63 in "How to wire an Audio Amplifier". I didn't do it that way either, but I had the option to do it later.

On page 38 it says: The left and right RCA receptacles on the source and receiving equipment will bemounted next to eachother–again, in the interests of minimizing the inter-channel loop area. The signal grounds of the RCAinput sockets are BONDED TOGETHER. The sockets are insulated from the chassis to prevent an internalground loop
And: use one ground-connection only, one "ground-wire" only.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Interesting. I was planning on repurposing this Modushop chassis.
Is it worth it to have a new backplate built, or not something that'll likely crop up as audible ground hum?
In my opinion, No.
Use your backplate as is, especially if your building an amp with a dual mono power supply. I haven’t had any issues with input sockets that are not next to each other.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2023
Paid Member
I've started pretty much from scratch and have spent around 2k euroos I think. But maybe not a 100% representative. Chassis around 350. Transformers a few hundred depending on size and quality. The electronic components from the BOM,.. I think 350. Cables, posts, switches and stuff depending on what already have I reckon an additional 100.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2018
Paid Member
dual mono power supply
Connect your dual mono power supplies. And listen;-)
I plan on using the T-GND Lift board alongside a MicroAudio Cobra SMPS. While it may not be as ideal as a dual mono, I know Cresnet said that he's never had anyone report any issues with crosstalk/interference using a single Cobra to power two channels.

Using the T-GND as the central point in a star config., sending the RCA ground and the SMPS ground both to the T-GND should be ideal in my case, right?
I guess I just hadn't thought of the potential for ground loops between the jacks if I connect them both to the T-GND.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thanks again Dan!

Now that you mention that, I do recall seeing some details on that in the build guide.
It's been about a month since I've skimmed through that guide. I'll be giving it a read before I start here in earnest soon.

I'm looking forward to it. : )

Reactions: 1 users
So I had a controlled power-up using a bench power supply at 0.3 A, approximately 29V. Both boards behaved well, no magic smoke. All adjustments within defined values, except part G: both channels, when measured between TP 105 and + rail, and TP 106 to negative rail show approximately 1.47 V, although I use KSC3503 and KSA1381 for Q101 and Q102 respectively.
Is that mean I did something wrong or is it because my power supply is set at 29V +- ?