DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

Really well made. For a noob like me, I was expecting more trouble with the initial power-up. Fingers crossed it will stay like this.
I have used rev 27 version, not sure if anything changed since then.
One minor typo- step 15, part E, TP-2 DMM should be DMM - instead of +.
And, as for the values- can explicitly state that they are for full rail voltages.

Reactions: 1 user
I have soldered prasi CRC power supply which is going to be used for powering up W. Can I ask questions here re connections and wiring or I d better going to the power supply thread (which I think is a bit of a mess due to the large number of different circuits designs in there) ?

Hi Guy's, has everyone received there boards now and were they received in good condition?

There are a few boards left if anyone is interested.
Please contact @jjs is your in the USA
@fireanimal if your in Canada
Or myself if you anywhere else.
Yes I received mine few weeks ago and all was very well packed! So all boards arrived in very good condition. I must say, as stated by other before the pcb's are of very good quality! Also received PSU boards from the diy store and also those are very high quality.
Now I need to find time to start the project. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Same here. Boards were well received and they are of very good quality. It is also clear to me that a lot of thinking went into this layout. For those who prefer to design their own pcb layout I would say, go ahead, have fun, learn a lot, but you probably end up buying those beautiful boards anyway. At least I did and I don't regret it (yet).

Reactions: 3 users
Yes I have received mine few days ago. I had a huge delay the boards took five months but finally got here undamaged not even a single scratch. Big thanks to you Mr Stuart for your undying support throughout this long five months.
Hi Guy's, has everyone received there boards now and were they received in good condition?

There are a few boards left if anyone is interested.
Please contact @jjs is your in the USA
@fireanimal if your in Canada
Or myself if you anywhere else.

Attachments

• IMG_8515.jpeg
    IMG_8515.jpeg
    886.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_8507.jpeg
    IMG_8507.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 110
Joined 2023
Paid Member
PSU boards + some PSU questions,

Hello gents....a few boards have arrived the last couple of weeks. I'm planning to use the Prasi boards with the dual channel fet LT4320 daughter boards and if that doesn't work for whatever reason I will use the standard fullwave bridges.
I've got way too many boards and some boards still need to arrive. I could spare a few.
The CRC-PSU boards from Prai on the picture is with 1 oz copper. The ones yet to arrive have 2 oz copper.

As for the questions. Well thats about the ground and ground breaker positioning points in the chassis. Does it really matter as long as I keep one of the main rules in mind to have one and only one central ground?

thx in advance

w.

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-12 at 08.39.47.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-12 at 08.43.24.jpeg

The boards arrived safely and well-packed. At this point I am gathering parts to populate the boards and have arranged a trade with a helpful member who has a question about rail voltage. I am a novice builder but I think now would be the time to set some parameters. My goal is a high-power, high-current amp to power Magnepans. I am aware of their tortuous impedance dip. Experience shows that the Maggies crave current and high damping factor. My thinking was that I should choose the highest rail voltage allowable but my reading of the build guide contradicts this. The problem seems to be heat dissipation and SOA of the outputs. I will employ the EF3-4 boards. Due to budget constraints I initially had plans to utilize some components on-hand but since I have taken the advice to stick to the plan as closely as possible, choosing parameters and components that will best suit my application. What I seek at this point is advice on rail voltage and output devices as well as power supply recommendations. Any suggestions would be well-received and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Well with you current speakers, and taking into account what your looking at for replacements, my recommendation would be for the EF3-4;

Linear PSU - 70V rails 600Va/channel
SMPS - 63V - Microaudio Cobra S2 for example

Outputs would be in both instances - MJL4281/4302

Note from what I can find your future speakers, I am seeing as low as 2 ohm load.

Reactions: 1 users