DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

DC Power is supposed to be connected between the rails and ground, not to the output. Voltage is not measured in ohms. Did your short the output back then when you where connecting the speakers? Usually doing so will produce a spark, a sound, and possible a mark on the connecting part.

Are both sides of your GWInstek switched on, and wired as they should? What are the current limiter and output voltage set to? Are the fuse's of the amp still ok?
I just checked the steps describing measurements with output transistors installed. My assembly instruction version probably was superseded, nonetheless, the steps required to measure resistance between V+ to ground, V- to ground, Output to Ground etc.
I did check the output bias as required, my power supply was in series, and cables were connected as required. I set the voltage to max (30V) and current to .8A but as you can see in the image - PCB did not draw much at all and the negative rail was at 0 V at all times. Fuses are fine.
To be honest I don't remember what happened, I think the board went dark after I connected the speakers, but am not too sure as it was a long time ago.

Sorry, I don't follow Stuarts guide neither do I work with a GWInstek lab supply. You did observe polarity while measuring the resistance between output and neg. rail, and also disconnected the power supply, did you? As there are diodes between rails ground and output, changing polarity will give you a different reading. If neg. rail is really low resistance to the output I would start with checking the isolation between the output transistors and the heat-sink.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it is a DIY site, but I am so busy these days that my intermittent approach to troubleshooting might take a very long time. I know it is against the spirit of everything we do here, but considering the circumstances does anyone know someone willing to help me to sort out the amplifier?
I am feeling uneasy even contemplating this, I hope you ll understand :)

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hello, fellow Wolverine enthusiasts!

We're thrilled to announce that our 4th group buy is now open for registrations. :)
This is a golden opportunity for all DIYAudio community members who are passionate about High-fidelity Audio and
looking to enhance their sound systems with our Wolverine boards to join our group buy.

Click here to register your interest in the 4th Group Buy

After the success of the 2nd group buy the Wolverine Team has spent a significant amount of time trying to optimize the
layout of Wolverine boards a little further. We have built and tested a number of prototypes. Our findings were enlightening to say the least.
We found that our current layout actually delivers the best all round performance. However, we did make a few minor improvements to enhance the
assembly process.

So apart from fixing up a few minor layout issues, we are super happy with what we are offering the DiyAudio community.

In summary.
1. The IPS boards will be the same as the 2nd Group buy.​
2. The EF3-3 & EF3-4 boards will have a few minor improvements to the layout to aid in assembly.​
a. The feedback trace has be finalized.​
b. The pre-driver heatsink is also pinned for extra stability​
c. On the EF3-3 (J102) has been moved slightly to the left to increase clearance to the heatsink.​
This journey wouldn’t have been possible without our dedicated Wolverine team, and I would like to extend
my personal gratitude to each member for their hard work over the past year.

A very special shout-out to Andy (@fireanimal), who has gone above and beyond in building and testing all of the
prototypes, ensuring we only offer the best to the DiyAudio community.

Please take a few moments to post your thoughts on your Wolverine build and thank Andy for his commitment to this project.

I look forward to receiving your orders over the coming weeks.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 11 users