DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

Mouser just delayed my order two more months, so estimated delivery is march 2024!:( Ordered start September 2023...
I've searched their site and found the same parts or similar and emailed them with my changes to the order.
Estimated delivery is now dec2023 if all turns out well. Only backorder is the Chemi-Con KNZ 1000uf/100V witch I decided to give a try, and I'll leave them in my basket and wait for these.
I've heard that Santa bringes me a new soldering iron for this build, so march is just to far away:)

Anyway...... :)

Reactions: 1 users
I have a ERSA RDS80 soldering station and the last two years I've been very pleased with the performance for my use as a hobby diy'er. Only problem is the cable to the iron witch is quite heavy and with a plastic feel, makes the iron "heavy" to work with. Now it has a loose connection at the iron and the automatic temperature control not functioning correctly thereby, Google suggest this isn't uncommon with the standard iron that comes with the RDS80.
I've got a better ion on its way with silicone wire and a new tip... Hopefully making some nice soldering without issues:)

Iron: https://www.ersa-shop.com/ersa-lötkolben-basic-tool-p-2267.html

Tip: https://www.ersa-shop.com/ersa-ersadur-lötspitze-gerade-bleistiftspitz-p-2150.html

@hcpower: I have a RDS80, as well as a Weller WSD80. I prefer the Weller, partially due to its extremely flexible silicone cable. I couldn't live with the stiff and heavy cable on the RDS so I found something more flexible and replaced it. Now it's a lot more usable and not annoying in use. Only problem was the strain relief but I made it work and it looks almost factory.

Reactions: 1 user
#1 lesson I've learned from my build. Don't go cheap on a soldering iron. Having a good one will save you a lot of trouble.
Always a clean tip and a decent temperature is my preferred method for good soldering. I'm not that picky about the tool itself if it works for the job at hand, but more expensive solutions often makes things a tad easier as you mention. I've started with the cheapest soldering iron a few years ago bought at the local store and it really isn't worth it...
Hopefully everything arrives around Christmas giving me some free time in the holidays for testing and fingers crossed starting this amp project👌

Regards

Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ Going to need a bit more information to be helpful in any way.

How about starting with telling the group what you've already looked at and ruled out. i.e. are there any parts that you can't get that rule out certain options?

Otherwise, why not build the biggest, baddest one? 71V rails and pick any recommended parts that get you across the finish line. They all perform amazingly well.