Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

I have ordered directly from Ian using the Excel spreadsheet and following his instructions.
Delivery here to NorCal has been within the week.
Ian has been so helpful - a tremendous asset for the diy community and a true gentleman

I have also used Mouser for the caps and Crystek clocks
Two day service as promised

Best with your projects

@sebbyp,

Many thanks for your recent post benchmarking your Ian GB stack against a commercial DAC. Very interesting! One thing I may have missed... what output stage do you use on the DAC? AND as someone who lives in an 'Hi-End Audio desert' with no nearby fellow audiophiles or good shops, reading a quick comparison of gear I use against a well-reviewed and regarded piece is VERY USEFUL! Again, THANKS!

Hey Greg, Great to see you back on the forum, that your safe in these scary times and finding time to enjoy your setups.

Sorry about my slow reply, I put the thread on ignore after my last post, until someone pointed out to me you had asked a question.

It was your interesting comparisons and productive exploration within this and other threads that started me on this journey. Your posts have been very useful and are one of the reasons I take the time out to write my thoughts for the benefit of others who are also on this journey. So I thank you, although my significant other might not be such a fan of you :D

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have good relationships with the local dealers so can often get access to good gear. Although in terms of the Vega, I did actually buy that however quickly returned it after a few days of back-to-back switching.

I am using Bisesik's transformers. I have been finding output stage on my dacs can often be more about personal taste and synergy with the wider system. I haven't really invested in the op-amp stage for any deep comparisons, just OPA1612's and no cap or Rasmussen upgrades. They sounded great with good power though.

I do often have the new-class D ultimate op-amps in my basket, however the transformers just worked for me so well.

Ian

I am enjoying my new FifoPi Q2 Ultimate and hope to also use it in combination with the ConditionerPi I ordered at the same time.

However, Audiophonics was out of the recommended BCAP0010 X01 when I ordered the ConditionerPi (and TransportPi, FIfoPi Q2U and Accusilicon clock) so I found what I thought were the correct Ultracaps on eBay and ordered them from China, figuring that shipping would take a while but I'd get them eventually.

The very next day, I got the notification that the correct Ultracaps were in stock at Audiophonics, so ordered the 8 I needed so I'd have them more quickly.

That was about a month ago. Since then, the Ultracaps from China arrived and I discovered they are not the correct ones.

They are BCAP0010 T01 when you recommend BCAP0010 X01.

It was my mistake from not looking closely enough at the pictures...

They are close to the same size and will fit but have about double the ESR if I'm understanding the datasheets correctly.

And, unfortunately, the Ultracaps from Audiophonics have never arrived, in spite of the "5-10 days worldwide shipping" promise on the site.

Tracking shows the package left France in June and it provides a USPS partner tracking number that has never shown up on the USPS system. In an email, Audiophonics said they were opening an investigation with the shipper a couple weeks ago but aren't responding to my emails inquiring for the past week, unfortunately.

So, first, I'm curious if there's going to be a significant audible difference if I go ahead and solder in the T01 model or if I should just find another source for the correct Ultracaps because...

Second, while I love the products, I question Audiophonics as a partner given my experience with them.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

The only thing is the ESR. It will be up to your application. If it's lower current application (less than 1A), I think you can use those UCs. But for higher current application lower ESR would be better.

Regards,
Ian

I believe it was a big holiday in France last week (Bastille Day?). My shipment that I ordered over the weekend did not ship until near end of week. I got a notice they would be shutdown 2-3 business days beginning of the week. I'm in no rush so it doesn't make much of a difference. But for you it may explain the backlog of e-mails they may have to catch up on.

Good guess about the cat if they were from Northern California, but since the founder is from Southern California it's a boring family / last name. (Photo Attached).

I'm not sure if you are aware but you can order direct from Ian via Group Buys or via the spreadsheet (fill out then e-mail Ian):

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

Just click the download button:

DocumentDownload/OrderFormEmpty.xls at master * iancanada/DocumentDownload * GitHub

I have not gone through the sales order process yet, but you are saving a good amount versus buying from Audiophonics + intl. shipping.

It's a nice alternative if there is no urgency. I think shipping is as low as $6 with no tracking if you just need simple parts which you can risk to lose. Canada Post handoff to USPS is much more straightforward than a package flying over the ocean.

If things work out for your current project, hope to see you in the GB thread. But reminder, this is not Mouser where they are ready to ship out in 15 minutes. It can takes weeks/months to process.

I'm pretty sure this is how it works, but I can't confirm until I go through this whole process.

Thanks, and Audiophonics did get back with me so maybe it was the Bastille Week. We all need time off.

I have ordered directly from Ian using the Excel spreadsheet and following his instructions.
Delivery here to NorCal has been within the week.
Ian has been so helpful - a tremendous asset for the diy community and a true gentleman

I have also used Mouser for the caps and Crystek clocks
Two day service as promised

Best with your projects

Good to know (& thanks to A123 for this insight as well) as I had made the erroneous assumption that I needed to wait for a group buy to make a direct purchase. I'm not very patient that way, haha. And I do know my way around Excel.

Hi Chris,

The only thing is the ESR. It will be up to your application. If it's lower current application (less than 1A), I think you can use those UCs. But for higher current application lower ESR would be better.

Regards,
Ian

Thanks for the feedback, Ian. I'm guessing a Raspberry Pi 4 (4 GB) running Volumio qualifies as "high current" in this context.

Maybe I can find an alternate purpose for these T01 Ultracaps, though I imagine they'll be tricky to keep charged and balanced properly as a set of 8 unless used in a ConditionerPi....

But maybe in pairs helping PS a bit on the (lower current need) TDA1387 DACs I'm building for my MiniSharc multiamp project... need a little R&D to see. So far it's pure LifePo4 for them.

Last edited:
I have been waiting for the supercapacitor connector I purchased, and today I have the opportunity to test the 3.3V UcConditioner. As a result, I think I should get a defective product.

I just turned on the power, and the indicator of UcConditioner showed that it was FULL...

But I didn’t give up immediately. I let him energize for 1 hour, but the output terminal could not measure the voltage, and the supercapacitor did not measure directly.

It's really disappointing. Since Ian's new product has no effect, it is even defective.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Hi yunyun,

Try measuring directly on the terminal where the wires are inserted. I tried measuring on the top of the green connnectors and I couldn’t get a reading. I thought it was defective as well but i got a reading when i measured directly in the terminals.

Hope this helps

I have been waiting for the supercapacitor connector I purchased, and today I have the opportunity to test the 3.3V UcConditioner. As a result, I think I should get a defective product.

I just turned on the power, and the indicator of UcConditioner showed that it was FULL...

But I didn’t give up immediately. I let him energize for 1 hour, but the output terminal could not measure the voltage, and the supercapacitor did not measure directly.

It's really disappointing. Since Ian's new product has no effect, it is even defective.

View attachment 865187

View attachment 865188

@yunyun

I'm sorry for my late reply. I was in a cottage for Canadian Civic day vacation.

Please no worry, all UcConditioners were fully tested so shouldn't be any problem unless you didn't use them properly.

1. If your ultra capacitors was charged full very quick, it means either you didn't connect them correctly or your ultra capacitors were defective or don't have enough capacitance. What kind of ultra capacitors your are using? What's the brand name and specifications? Why you don't use the recommended P/N? Can you post how did you connect your external ultra capacitors?

2. There will be voltage higher than 3V at output as long as Power Good LED D9 is lit. Please connect your load to the output before you measure the terminal blocks. There could be no voltage at screws if the wires are not installed tightly to the terminal blocks.

I have been using my UcConditoners for more than 3 months on my system. I'm really happy with them and never had a problem.

UcConditioner is a great product. The huge improvement to the power supply can be measured. I don't know why you feel differently than other community members. If it is possible, please find the UcConditioner user's manual from here:
DocumentDownload/UltraCapacitorPowerSupply/UcConditioner at master * iancanada/DocumentDownload * GitHub

Regards,
Ian

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@yunyun

I'm sorry for my late reply. I was in a cottage for Canadian Civic day vacation.

Please no worry, all UcConditioners were fully tested so shouldn't be any problem unless you didn't use them properly.

1. If your ultra capacitors was charged full very quick, it means either you didn't connect them correctly or your ultra capacitors were defective or don't have enough capacitance. What kind of ultra capacitors your are using? What's the brand name and specifications? Why you don't use the recommended P/N? Can you post how did you connect your external ultra capacitors?

2. There will be voltage higher than 3V at output as long as Power Good LED D9 is lit. Please connect your load to the output before you measure the terminal blocks. There could be no voltage at screws if the wires are not installed tightly to the terminal blocks.

I have been using my UcConditoners for more than 3 months on my system. I'm really happy with them and never had a problem.

UcConditioner is a great product. The huge improvement to the power supply can be measured. I don't know why you feel differently than other community members. If it is possible, please find the UcConditioner user's manual from here:

Regards,
Ian

He seems to be able to work, and after charging for an hour, the full indicator lights up. This may be because I didn't connect them correctly before.

However, when the full indicator light is on, the output terminal still cannot measure the output voltage, but when the voltage of the super capacitor is measured separately, it can be measured to 1.65V. It seems that the charging function is normal, but the current and voltage cannot be output. Must be connected to load to have current output?

My super capacitor is LS Mtron Ultracapacitor 3000f. The ESR value of 3000F is lower, which is my reason.

S__9134082.jpg

I claim that it is ConditionerPi that does not have any effect. As for whether UcConditioner has any effect, I still don't know, because UcConditioner can't output voltage at all, even after charging is completed.

Last edited:
10v UC conditioner power supply

Hi,

This is my breadboard 10v UC conditionded power supply.

I use a transformer with 2 secondairy windings, two 5v linear regulators and have tied the output to each other to get to the 10v.

It is charging now. One thing I have noticed is that while charging you can hear a high frequency noise. Is this normal?

Regards,

Attachments

• 5A046C25-C60F-4A15-9C7C-161549F18DC0.jpeg
    5A046C25-C60F-4A15-9C7C-161549F18DC0.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 571
Hi Ian,

After my package was stuck at customs for more than a month it finally arrived last week!
I ordered 4x UcConditioner and 4x UcHybrid

2 of the UcConditioners will charge in approx 15min and are working fine, one is connected to an USBridge Sig after a Shanti power supply (so the ripple must be completely vanished on this ps line :D). I will let it run for a couple of days before testing the audible differences.

But there is also a problem: 2 of the UcConditioners are stuck on 3.95v after charging for more than 3 hours.
I have changed the input voltage of one device to 5.20v and now it charges up to 4.19v
They seem to be broken.

What should I do?

Hi,

This is my breadboard 10v UC conditionded power supply.

I use a transformer with 2 secondairy windings, two 5v linear regulators and have tied the output to each other to get to the 10v.

It is charging now. One thing I have noticed is that while charging you can hear a high frequency noise. Is this normal?

Regards,

Hi Supersurfer,

No worry. It's normal if the sound comes from the instructor during pre-charging stage. Once it turns into conditioning stage (with the conditioning LED lit), the pre-charger will be 100% disabled and it will be complete silence.

Regards,
Ian

Last edited:
Hi Ian,

But there is also a problem: 2 of the UcConditioners are stuck on 3.95v after charging for more than 3 hours.
I have changed the input voltage of one device to 5.20v and now it charges up to 4.19v
They seem to be broken.

What should I do?

How was the Conditioning LED? What are the UCs you use on it? How did you measure the voltage?

What's the power supply. Can you post a picture?

Ian

Last edited:
Today I finally tested the super capacitor power supply. I really feel very disappointed. Under the power of UcConditioner, only the low-frequency volume becomes louder, but this may be caused by additional low-frequency noise, but this low-frequency noise cannot be identified. After listening for a while, I started to feel dizzy. At the same time, the rhythm of the sound was slowed down, and there was some noise. This may be easier to hear the middle and high frequency noise.

If someone only hears the low-frequency volume increase, then they think the ultra capacitor power supply is great. In fact, you only hear the sudden increase in low-frequency noise. Even if the hearing is not very sensitive, you will start to feel uncomfortable after listening for a long time.

The conclusion is that Ian's recent new products, from LiFePO4 battery power supply to ultra capacitor power supply, have only negative effects, especially LiFePO4. It is recommended to refer to the products of esoteric, a major audio manufacturer, who uses supercapacitors in the power supply before launching his own products. I don't deny the effect of super capacitors, but according to the actual test results, Ian's ultra capacitor power supply fails.

unnamed (2).jpg

Today I finally tested the super capacitor power supply. I really feel very disappointed. Under the power of UcConditioner, only the low-frequency volume becomes louder, but this may be caused by additional low-frequency noise, but this low-frequency noise cannot be identified. After listening for a while, I started to feel dizzy. At the same time, the rhythm of the sound was slowed down, and there was some noise. This may be easier to hear the middle and high frequency noise.

If someone only hears the low-frequency volume increase, then they think the ultra capacitor power supply is great. In fact, you only hear the sudden increase in low-frequency noise. Even if the hearing is not very sensitive, you will start to feel uncomfortable after listening for a long time.

The conclusion is that Ian's recent new products, from LiFePO4 battery power supply to ultra capacitor power supply, have only negative effects, especially LiFePO4. It is recommended to refer to the products of esoteric, a major audio manufacturer, who uses supercapacitors in the power supply before launching his own products. I don't deny the effect of super capacitors, but according to the actual test results, Ian's ultra capacitor power supply fails.

View attachment 866493

This thread (and his brothers) is very singular: on the one hand there are the fundamentalist followers and on the other the extremist detractors.

Yunyun, what did you expect when you bought this devices? Did you expect SOTA devices?
If so then you were wrong.
Ian sells honest devices at affordable prices, I could say his devices have optimal quality-price ratio.

Think a while to his FIFO buffer (from the first version to FifoPi), it takes years of development to design these devices.
So the price is a bargain.

But if you are looking to SOTA audio devices, well, these are audio toys, very enjoyable toys, but always toys.

State of the art audio is another thing, and mostly another price level.

The FIFO buffer is a honest device that do its good job within the limits of its architecture.
You can't improve it to make it a state of the art device, but you can get it and enjoy for little money.

I think you are a little confused about: you have claimed that the Accusilicon are very good oscillators, and yes, you got them with a few bucks.
But you were absolutely wrong, the Accusilicon oscillators are very bad devices, and this is the reason you paid so little for them.

In comparison Ian's devices are far better than the Accusilicon you like so much.
If you are looking for a quality similar to the Accusilicon oscillators, you should thank Ian to offer better devices at honest prices.
But if you are looking for the best audio devices you have to spend much more.

So, back to the beginning, I think you have bought good devices for the price you paid, but don't expect to buy SOTA audio devices, it's not possible, they start a different price level, much higher than Ian's prices.