Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

@Clausen.

You missed the FAQ that you claim isn't there.
There are also installation instructions which have a great deal of useful information and explanations.

If you do not understand such basic concepts as plugging a usb cable from a pc to your existing DAC then it does not surprise me you think you need to buy another.

Note that this forum is called DIY-audio.
I'm sure we're all happy to help with questions but do expect people to do a little of their own research too.

If you have a specific question about Daphile installation and use then please ask it.

Just ranting because you don't understand something does little to solve your problems.

Sadly your B&K has no usb inputs however it does have optical inputs so I suggest you use a pc with optical out to install Daphile to.

Daphile does not require a powerful pc and will operate quite happily from older less powerful devices including Thin-clients.

The documents state that a minimum of a single core, 2GB ram and 4GB hard drive will be sufficient. You can even run from a USB stick live os on the pc to test before installing.

Daphile can play through most sound card connection types including optical.

@Clausen.

You missed the FAQ that you claim isn't there.
There are also installation instructions which have a great deal of useful information and explanations.

Oh, wow, you're right. There is a FAQ, and installation instructions, under the downloads tab. Thanks for helping me find that!

Yeah, their website is God awful and stupid.

Is this your website? Is this why you are defending how stupid it is laid out? I mean you just told me to plug in a USB into something that has no USB when I just said "my DAC does not have a USB port?"

@Drone7 I'm not trying to fight. This is all I wanted was the FAQ, the installation instructions, so I could read and figure out if this was even an option. I had already been to their website before I posed anything. I didn't even know where to begin with questions.

Once I read more, I would have asked any questions I had, or just moved on.

I posted in this thread I have a gaming PC I'm thinking of repurposing for this application, and specified it has a Toslink out, no USB.

And since the FAQ and Installations instructions" are under the Download tab, and only because you said it was somewhere, not becasue you told where it was, I said, "Ok, where?" That's the only way I found it.

It's a stupid web setup!

Last edited:
And to confirm how bad this really is, here's the question I have, and the non-answer. From the FAQ section on Daphile.

Q5. Hardware. Is Daphile compatible with ... DAC, wifi adapter, motherboard or any device? A5. In general I can't answer these questions. I have also decided that I will not collect and maintain any hardware compatibility information. I don't want to take responsibility for possibly providing wrong information for anyone's purchase decisions.

The problem with this whole Daphile thing is it all sounds like extreme amature hour.

For example. For this to be a "stand alone OS", it needs chipset drivers. These include North bridge, south bridge drivers, drivers for your sound hardware, your PCI drivers, which include things like your Ethernet connections, wifi wirelss adpaters, ram drivers, SSD drivers, I mean, the list goes on and he can't say whether he supports basic soundcard hardware?

Even if you have a super simple setup, I use a Netbook for my business, for a really simple color retrieval program I need for looking up vehicle paint codes.

The hard drive died, and I had to replace it. I still needed the chipset drivers to make it work properly and be stable!

I don't know. Too little information for sure!

The whole OS makes me shy away big time.

The next non-answer...which is exactly what I was saying in the last post.

Q8. How can I setup a wireless hotspot? A8. First of all Daphile need compatible WiFi adapter. If such is recognized by Daphile, then there should be the settings options at Settings -> Networking, otherwise there aren't any settings for hotspot mode. Some Wifi Realtek adapters seem to establish the hotspot but authentication fails always due to a bug in the kernel driver. Some adapters support concurrent operation both as client and hotspot while other adapters work only in one mode at the time.

In other words, in order to support your wi-fi device and to be recognized, he would have had to write drivers for that device, or adapt drivers to his software!

And he won't even give you a list of supported devices.

Not lookin good.

@Clausen
Oh, wow, you're right. There is a FAQ, and installation instructions, under the downloads tab. Thanks for helping me find that!

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

The Daphile page is less than 700 words with obvious headings and topics.

You are correct in your observation that Daphile is not for you.

There are plenty of other media players and servers out there and I am sure you will find one that suits your temperament. Good luck with that..:)

Last edited:
Clausen. I am not really computer savvy at all either. However, I am extremely glad I took the time to get it working with help from members here, such as Drone7. I purchased a Topping D10 DAC and used an old cast off computer from work plugged into an ethernet cable to try and get going. Worst case I was up for a cheap DAC. I got going on a very basic set up and changed from there. I asked a few questions, which people took the time and effort to help with, read sections of the forum multiple times and finally I even noted things in a journal I can refer back to. WELL worth it when you consider what similar offerings cost to have all your music in one place from services such as Tidal, CD's you can burn to a hard disc, radio function etc... It is DIY but for me that was part of the fun,the fact it performs so well, offers everything I want and is free makes it a home run. Persevere, honestly

@Clausen

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

I really don't know what your deal is, but I made 2 posts before you replied and my posts were detailed and easy to understand, unlike Daphile's website.

First post said, Can I hook up using a Toslink? It was like three sentences.

In the next post, apparently the post you stopped reading after I said the website was "god awful", the first post you obviously didn't read, because you said I couldn't be helped because I didn't know how to hook up a USB to a Toslink connection...anyway the second post was also clear about a bunch of stuff, including the fact that I'm open minded and maybe I didn't understand.

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit."

Here's your first reply to me, when I said, "It says almost nothing about what it actually is, or does. It assumes we already know." Key here is I said it assumes we already know.

And what do you say? "There it is in plain letters right at the top...."

I guess you skipped the sarcasm and went straight to the insult.

Honestly, this little exchange, I think everything I talked about is just over your head, and that's why you acted the way you did.

I don't know whether Daphile is right for me, some people gave some really nice reply's and I haven't decided. But you're a dick and didn't bother to read what you're replying to, so I got distracted rewritting things you didn't read in the first place. Obviously you deserve a reply, when you tell me I can't be helped for not knowing how to hook up a USB, when this whole exchange started with, "my DAC doesn't have a USB."

Honestly, if you were a decent dude, you'd say, "yeah the website is stupid, and I didn't read your first post, sorry."

@Clausen
You are correct in your observation that Daphile is not for you.

There are plenty of other media players and servers out there and I am sure you will find one that suits your temperament. Good luck with that..:)

@DRONE7 : I really admire your patience in this discussion. :up:

@Clausen : I made 1st contact with daphile several months ago. Yes, I did not find all my initial questions answered on their homepage. But nearly all of my questions were answered by friendly people in the forum. Within a few hours of trial and error everything was up and running. Just take on the DIY and community aspect as part of the fun!

Exchanged a very nice couple of PM's with Drone7. It's amazing how, instead of getting mad, how much help you can get when you make peace with someone. I made a big deal publicly because I got a little butt hurt by how I felt Drone7 mistreated me, so I also want to make it public that I reached out to him through PM, and he's been SUPER gracious! In fact so nice, I'm really pleased and excited about the possibility that a PC music server can work for me.

We have arrived at a mutual desire to progress @Clausen's Daphile exploration !.:)
(Thank you @ CallMeMike and AllenB for your kind advice.)

@Clausen...
I have almost an entire unused gaming PC that I'm thinking of using for this. Pretty much the only thing it does not have on the Motherboard is wifi, so I'd be hooking it up wired, which I prefer and I would set it up right next to my router anyway.

That's perfect! My preference is always for wired... not only does it perform more reliably but it is far easier to troubleshoot.

Thanks too to the other posters, @duplex,@vlv81,@Greg Erskine,
and we hope you attend and help us achieve an outcome for Dana.:)

Best,
Bob.