Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Guys, I need some basic advice.

I have 2 ASUS VM40B Mini PCs (Intel® Celeron® 1007U Processor with Intel® HM70 Chipset). VivoPC VM40B | Mini PCs | ASUS India

I had earlier upgraded these machines to 8GB (2 x 4GB DDR3) and 6TB.

Can I install and run Install and run Daphile on these machines?

The idea to load my music (about 3000CDs/1.5 TB of FLAC) as well as use this box to stream from Tidal, Spotify etc.

My other option was to build something using Allo's USBridge Signature / DigiOne Signature but would that box be capable of reading my music files from a 4TB USB drive such as the La Cie D2 Professional? d2 Desktop Drives | LaCie US

I propose to get a simple DAC like a Topping D50s or D70s or Gustard X16 to convert digital to analog.

Thanks.

P.S. Basically I am looking for the best quality audio streamer/server (music player) for under say $500 (max $700).

Guys, I need some basic advice.

I have 2 ASUS VM40B Mini PCs (Intel[emoji2400] Celeron[emoji2400] 1007U Processor with Intel[emoji2400] HM70 Chipset). VivoPC VM40B | Mini PCs | ASUS India

I had earlier upgraded these machines to 8GB (2 x 4GB DDR3) and 6TB.

Can I install and run Install and run Daphile on these machines?

The idea to load my music (about 3000CDs/1.5 TB of FLAC) as well as use this box to stream from Tidal, Spotify etc.

My other option was to build something using Allo's USBridge Signature / DigiOne Signature but would that box be capable of reading my music files from a 4TB USB drive such as the La Cie D2 Professional? d2 Desktop Drives | LaCie US

I propose to get a simple DAC like a Topping D50s or D70s or Gustard X16 to convert digital to analog.

Thanks.

P.S. Basically I am looking for the best quality audio streamer/server (music player) for under say $500 (max $700).

It should be fine, anyway you can load daphile to a pe drive to do testing without messing with your current configuration. You can just use the analog out for testing as you want to test how the hardware behaves. Sound quality wise if you add a Dac you would be able to deliver bit perfect to it.

It should be fine, anyway you can load daphile to a pe drive to do testing without messing with your current configuration. You can just use the analog out for testing as you want to test how the hardware behaves. Sound quality wise if you add a Dac you would be able to deliver bit perfect to it.

Thanks. What is a "PE" drive?

Another option I was considering was this mini PC.
Buy Odyssey Blue J4105 Windows 10 Mini PC Onliine in India | Fab.to.Lab

It has a bit more horsepower so much so that one can even run Plex on it (with 4k transcoding)
Cheap and powerfull Plex Media Server!: Odyssey x86J4105 REVIEW (4K transcoding!) - YouTube

Or use it as a NAS
FreeNAS on Odyssey X86 SBC - YouTube

It also has a Raspberry Pi compatible GPIO so all RPi HATs should work too such as the DigiOne SPDIF out from Allo or a HifiBerry DAC
DigiOne Signature Clean Power SPDIF Out
HiFiBerry DAC2 HD | HiFiBerry

Last edited:
Thanks. What is a "PE" drive?

Another option I was considering was this mini PC.
Buy Odyssey Blue J4105 Windows 10 Mini PC Onliine in India | Fab.to.Lab

It has a bit more horsepower so much so that one can even run Plex on it (with 4k transcoding)
Cheap and powerfull Plex Media Server!: Odyssey x86J4105 REVIEW (4K transcoding!) - YouTube

Or use it as a NAS
FreeNAS on Odyssey X86 SBC - YouTube

It also has a Raspberry Pi compatible GPIO so all RPi HATs should work too such as the DigiOne SPDIF out from Allo or a HifiBerry DAC
DigiOne Signature Clean Power SPDIF Out
HiFiBerry DAC2 HD | HiFiBerry

Sorry, “pendrive” !

Daphile for music reproduction uses very little horsepower and ram. Only if you use transcoding to dsd or equalization for example you need a little more, I would try the Celerons.

Hi guys, sorry if there is the answer elsewhere on the thread, but +400 pages!

Well I have a RADXA Rock PI X and use Daphile with it, perfect.

On the other side I build some things like that with Orange Pi cards ect... Using GPIOs and I2C to control the LCD.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So I would like to program into Daphile the LCD management with python3 + requests (allready in Daphile) but I need gain to GPIOs I2C. Someone has an idea? My goal is to replace the Orange Pi Zero 2 full Linux using squeezelite with the Rock Pi using Daphile.

Is it possible to contact the author of Daphile?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Navin: As mentioned Daphile needs very little horsepower....and you can run it from a USB drive or your internal HD/SSD.....

Just set the boot device to USB after you have made a bootable USB stick with the Daphile image on it.....if you like it then config it to run on your internal drive. I know zero about Linux but the instructions spell it out pretty well.

Daphile runs on a Linux image so you don't need any windows OS......

Hi,

I seldom use my Daphile now cos

1. Playing Spotify via Daphile sounds inferior to that via Chromebook playing YouTube Music.
2. Daphile converts Spotify music format to Org before playing
3. Daphile does not have Youtube Music feature.
4. Installing the YOutube feature in Daphile is cumbersome tried a few times and failed.

Currently, use Chromebook to play as my music streamer.

Daphile for music reproduction uses very little horsepower and ram. Only if you use transcoding to dsd or equalization for example you need a little more, I would try the Celerons.

I will be streaming MQA and maybe DSD.

Navin: As mentioned Daphile needs very little horsepower....and you can run it from a USB drive or your internal HD/SSD..
Daphile runs on a Linux image so you don't need any windows OS......

Thanks. Has anyone compared it to Volumio? A friend suggested Volumio. I am not PC literate so was confused.

1. Playing Spotify via Daphile sounds inferior to that via Chromebook playing YouTube Music.
2. Daphile converts Spotify music format to Org before playing
3. Daphile does not have Youtube Music feature.
4. Installing the YOutube feature in Daphile is cumbersome tried a few times and failed.

I will also be using Spotify and Tidal.

By YouTube, do you mean YouTube has an audio-only (no video) music channel? I did not know. I have paid for YouTube Premium but it was mostly to kill the adverts.

By YouTube, do you mean YouTube has an audio-only (no video) music channel? I did not know. I have paid for YouTube Premium but it was mostly to kill the adverts.

Yes, you can just get Music streaming, called Youtube Music from Youtube Premium. On YT webpage, look at the Left-Hand column you see Youtube Music click that, and search for the music you like to listen to.
It sounds better then Spotify I am thinking of stopping Spotify soon once my student subscription runs out. YT subscription offers better value you get so many features and services.

Can anyone point me to a walk through to install drivers in Daphile?
I have a Xilinx Solarflare network adapter I want to use ( as it uses fiber optic modules) to feed network to my audio PC running Daphile, as a complete Linux noob I have no clue...
you can't, period. Daphile is a read-only closed image in which you can't add drivers yourself. If you want to use a non-standard adapter you should build your own linux-system based on e.g. Debian, add the driver of the adapter and install Logitech Media Server (you basically will have the same as Daphile exept for the nice interface). When you say you're a linux-noob I would advise you not to try this yourself. I would advise to go for Windows, install LMS and add the network adapter in there. (which usually is quite a lot easier, in this case).

Can anyone point me to a walk through to install drivers in Daphile?
I have a Xilinx Solarflare network adapter I want to use ( as it uses fiber optic modules) to feed network to my audio PC running Daphile, as a complete Linux noob I have no clue...

What Solarflare device do you have? linux/Kconfig at fcadab740480e0e0e9fa9bd272acd409884d431a * torvalds/linux * GitHub or linux/Kconfig at fcadab740480e0e0e9fa9bd272acd409884d431a * torvalds/linux * GitHub ?

Both are compiled as modules in daphile and IMO the support is standard linux plug&play:

Code:
find . -name "*sfc*"
./5.4.87-daphile/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/sfc
./5.4.87-daphile/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/sfc/falcon/sfc-falcon.ko
./5.4.87-daphile/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/sfc/sfc.ko

The solarflare 8522 but am not clear what exact version (only relevant for ultra low latency software license).

I had the card in the computer a while ago and I think I saw the temperature in Daphile but no connection. May have to try again now having a new MB/CPU (AMD R7 3700x on Aorus x570 Elite)...it would be great if it is supported!

Last edited: