Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I have had Daphile up and running on my NAS for several years without issue. I have now realised the software is well out of date being version

16.07x86_64-rt.

My first question is "will updating it to the latest version improve sound quality"?

If yes, then where might I find simple instructions on how to do this?

Thanks
Chris

Use the Settings tab and then open the Firmware tab and 'Check'

If a new version is offered then accept the download and once installed you will be prompted to reboot.

Sounds far too simple :)

My music server is standalone and has never been connected to the internet. It has its own Wi Fi to allow me to select music tracks from the internal SSD from my i pad.

It does however have USB sockets, so if I connect it to my main PC using a USB cable should I be to update the firmware as you suggest.

The music server and it's power supply is on the top shelf

Attachments

• System Feb 2021.jpg
    System Feb 2021.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Without an internet connection, updating Daphile will require a rather sophisticated knowledge of Linux and its command line. Not recommended for the faint of heart. Meanwhile, updating an internet connected machine is a total no-brainer - even the plugins update automatically.

That said, I too have been using Daphile for years and have updated religiously as they become available. To date, I have not noticed a difference in stability or sound quality from any update.

By the way, them's some wacky speakers. DIY? Open baffle?

Thanks. One has to ask then, what do the authors achieve by upgrading?

Yes, they are open baffles using vintage alnico magnet drivers with paper cones namely 15" Altecs 416B , 8" Supravox and 4" Saba. The circular assembly around the midrange allows me to rapidly switch between some alternative 8" drivers I have, like vintage Saba Greencones and modern alnico SEAS Exotics. All are silver wired with very simple crossovers (no resistors). Overall efficiency seems to be about 95dB

When I decide on the best midrange I will lock it all down :)

Many times they update to keep the core components and libraries current. Sometimes there are arcane issues that are addressed - issues that I've never run into, but others have. The only issue I have is that adding a photo cover to the metadata on an OPUS file renders the file unplayable on Daphile, while other players have no issues. I've worked around it by not adding the cover to the files but saving it as a JPG in the folder.

About the speakers...no tweeter?

The 4" Sabas do a reasonable job of frequencies up to 15Khz. Above that my hearing is not good (age related), although I may go back to some Faital Pro HF102 super tweeters I tried some time ago. They did add some additional air to the sound firing upwards at the speaker rear with voice coil centred on the Saba 4". Their efficiency matches the other drivers which I find is important.

I am running Daphile on a headess mini pc with the music taken from a share on my NAS.
Is it possible to set the playlists location to be on the NAS as well?
I have a couple of different music systems and have, for ages edited my playlists by hand to match the file paths of each system.
For instance I use Music Bee to create my playlists in the first place as it's much quicker that using LMS.

It would be great if I could point them all at one playlist location and they play them without the need for editing.
I think there is a setting to do this but be darned if I can find it.
Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Without an internet connection, updating Daphile will require a rather sophisticated knowledge of Linux and its command line. Not recommended for the faint of heart. Meanwhile, updating an internet connected machine is a total no-brainer - even the plugins update automatically.

That said, I too have been using Daphile for years and have updated religiously as they become available. To date, I have not noticed a difference in stability or sound quality from any update.

By the way, them's some wacky speakers. DIY? Open baffle?

You can always download the latest version (or beta from Index of /firmware/beta) to a pc, copy to bootable USB stick using rufus, and do a fresh install. There have been significant improvements in all areas including Linux processing efficiency. If you are up sampling your music you will notice an improvement in sound.

Last edited:
Try it and see if you notice a difference / improvement. The folks at hqplayer seem to be having a lot of fun at great cost! Roon has also implemented up sampling to the delight of a lot of its customer base

i have. Non difference in double blind tests. I am sure people hear a difference in sighted tests just because they believe some of the audiophile propaganda.

Well I noticed an improvement as have 1000s of others. It's like adding a 'better' cartridge to your turntable. Note your pc needs to have the processing capacity to handle the additional load. Also the rest of your sound system to highlight the nuances. Finally delta sigma dacs upsample pcm internally using built in algorithms with limited capacity. Upsampling on the pc adds a much greater range of more powerful options (see the hqplayer list of filters) and results in a bit streams that can be natively processed internally by the dac.

Well I noticed an improvement as have 1000s of others. It's like adding a 'better' cartridge to your turntable. Note your pc needs to have the processing capacity to handle the additional load. Also the rest of your sound system to highlight the nuances. Finally delta sigma dacs upsample pcm internally using built in algorithms with limited capacity. Upsampling on the pc adds a much greater range of more powerful options (see the hqplayer list of filters) and results in a bit streams that can be natively processed internally by the dac.

Upsampling before the DAC to minimize the DAC's internal processing is a popular game. But the actual measured (not sighted-hearing) results are not universal

Look at this https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equ...-oversampling-filter-issue-5.html#post6659176 . External upsampling from 192kHz to 384kHz causes AK4490/93 DAC chips to skip any internal upsampling, resulting in a horrible output waveform for the same-frequency signal. Only a very complex analog filter could filter out that huge 384kHz component properly, certainly not available in vast majority of DAC devices. These DAC chips are used in many commercial DACs which boast 384kHz or even 768kHz suport. Yet I have never seen a similar measurement being posted online. I would assume that would be the first thing to check when playing the upsampling game.

That thread also measured the very popular DAC ES9038Q2M in synchronous mode (i.e. no internal ASRC). In this mode the chip always oversamples 128xFS, no matter what the input samplerate is. No internal resampling is skipped when feeding it with an oversampled signal. Even at 768kHz the oversampling 128xFS + the brickwall filter (one of several filters offered by the chip) resample flawlessly https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equ...-oversampling-filter-issue-8.html#post6661524

In ASRC mode the resampled side runs at a fixed samplerate (the more typical operation mode as it allows a much simpler implementation by using fixed master clock for any incoming samplerate, typically the max 100MHz). I do not think asynchronous/adaptive resampling from e.g. 384kHz to 100MHz will fetch better results than adaptive resampling from 48kHz again to 100MHz.

Sure, there are situations when upsampling in the PC allows skipping some oversampling stages in the DAC while keeping the oversampling active. But it requires checking and measuring that the desired outcome has really been reached. I may not be far from truth that nobody of those 1000s clearly hearing the improvement have ever done it.

Last edited:
Hi,

Im new to Daphile. Just created a boot sd drive for my 2014 mac mini. When i power up the mac mini the screen just stops on blank. Does any of you know what is happening? Ive tested the sd card booting on my 2015 macbook pro and the daphile boot sd boot disk came up and it was working. Please help.

Also when i dont have wifi on the mac mini, will it configure internet automatically using the ethernet? I really need in depth guidance, am trying to compare this vs the beta version of audirvana studio running on my mac mini. I will be using upnp protocol to my network renderer/endpoint. Looking fwd to hear back from you guys! Thanks

I am running Daphile on a headess mini pc with the music taken from a share on my NAS.
Is it possible to set the playlists location to be on the NAS as well?
I have a couple of different music systems and have, for ages edited my playlists by hand to match the file paths of each system.
For instance I use Music Bee to create my playlists in the first place as it's much quicker that using LMS.

It would be great if I could point them all at one playlist location and they play them without the need for editing.
I think there is a setting to do this but be darned if I can find it.
Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Sorry to bump my question guys but I really am struggling with this.
On LMS you can easily change the location of your playlists in the gui. But it seems you can't do it so easily in Daphile. I have the beta running socan ssh into it. There must be a file I can edit to achieve the same result. Can anyone help or tell me where I might find the help I need please?