Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Joined 2004
Paid Member
jnorris:

Good advice! I removed every USB connection other than the Daphile thumb drive, rebooted and the motherboard got past Stage 99. Daphile loaded and I then plugged the DAC's USB connection into the server. Interestingly, because I was using a new Daphile installation once everything was configured I had to save Daphile to the thumb drive, necessitating a reboot. The server again stopped at Stage 99. I had to disconnect the DAC's USB connection again before the server could get past Stage 99.

All is well for the moment but, on the advice of the esteemed vdi_nenna (a friend and advisor), I am considering migrating to a commercial product that can withstand the burdens I place on my server (e.g., online 24/7). Using a relatively inexpensive desktop motherboard and RAM may not be appropriate for this application.

In any event, thanks to all for the support and guidance.

Regards,
Scott

Can it run Crysis (Daphile upsample to DSD512)

The config is a s follows ..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5800x (8 cores/16 threads, 3.8ghz / 4.7Ghz)
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus b550 master (superior VRM)
RAM: Gskill 2x8gb ddr4 3200 (could not get 4GB DDR4)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 black (efficient and very quiet)

case: Fractal Design Define R4
PSU: Corsair AX860 (low ripple))
System disk: Kingston A2000 m.2 nvme 128GB
Music Disk: WD RED WD80EFAX 256MB 8TB

Output is AVM PA 8.3 modular preamp, 4 x AVM MA 8.3 monoblocks amplifier, and Gauder Akustik DARC 200 speakers. Sound is a noticeable improvement (upper frequency crisper and better definition, tighter bass) on a Streacom R5 configured with an Intel 9600 through the same system.

Hi @Triplefun, will the Panther Canyon NUC11PAHi5 be able to do DSD512 upsampling?
It is an i5-1135G7, 4 core 8 thread based on 10nm tech.
Thanks for your guidance!

Daphile DSD512/256 upsampling on NUC11PAHi5

The config is a s follows ..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5800x (8 cores/16 threads, 3.8ghz / 4.7Ghz)
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus b550 master (superior VRM)
RAM: Gskill 2x8gb ddr4 3200 (could not get 4GB DDR4)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 black (efficient and very quiet)

case: Fractal Design Define R4
PSU: Corsair AX860 (low ripple))
System disk: Kingston A2000 m.2 nvme 128GB
Music Disk: WD RED WD80EFAX 256MB 8TB

Output is AVM PA 8.3 modular preamp, 4 x AVM MA 8.3 monoblocks amplifier, and Gauder Akustik DARC 200 speakers. Sound is a noticeable improvement (upper frequency crisper and better definition, tighter bass) on a Streacom R5 configured with an Intel 9600 through the same system.
Hi @Triplefun, can the NUC11PAHi5 do DSD 512/256 upsampling? What's your take. I am okay with DSD256 also, but DSD512 will be better.

It is an i5 1135G7 processor with 4 core and 8 threads. Based on 10nm Tech.
Thanks in advance!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
It looks like your bios USB device detection/initialization crashes with your DAC attached. Likely very lousy coding... but unsurprising for bioses.

phofman:

It's been a while -- I hope you are well. Yes, you're right. What's interesting (at least to me) is that this is a new issue on a motherboard which has otherwise operated flawlessly for over 5 years. It seems that motherboard is in slow decline.

Regards,
Scott

I removed every USB connection other than the Daphile thumb drive, rebooted and the motherboard got past Stage 99. Daphile loaded and I then plugged the DAC's USB connection into the server.

I had to disconnect the DAC's USB connection again before the server could get past Stage 99.

What may cause this issue is the fact that your thumb drive and DAC are both USB devices (on the same bus or on different ones). When your systems starts to boot it'll start to see from which devices it can boot. If all USB-devices are seen as storage devices it'll try to start from the 1st one it finds. If that would be your DAC the boot process tries to boot from it, but since it's not a boot device it may hang in this process. Sometimes changing around the devices to other USB-ports may solve this. It may also be necessary to change the USB-config. This is BIOS-version dependant, so I can't advise you what to change, but I would give it a try and see what you can change from a USB-perspective.
BTW, best is to boot from a regular HDD/SSD. It would cause less issues ...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
MSHAVS:

Interesting guidance. Does the BIOS check the USB ports in a particular order? If so, is it reasonable to assume that I could avoid this problem in the future if the Daphile thumb drive is plugged into the "first" USB port?

The Stage 99 problem is a relatively recent phenomenon. For the first 4.5 or 5 years this server has been in operation, I never had to unplug USB connections before rebooting. After so much time, why do you think my motherboard is getting so difficult? It's possible that some tweaking of the USB configuration is called for; when (not if) this problem next arises and I have to dive into the BIOS, I may play around with the USB settings.

Are you sure about installing Daphile on a hard drive? Daphile's installation guidelines clearly encourage the use of a USB thumb drive.

Regards,
Scott

MSHAVS:
Interesting guidance. Does the BIOS check the USB ports in a particular order?
Are you sure about installing Daphile on a hard drive? Daphile's installation guidelines clearly encourage the use of a USB thumb drive.
It will check in serial sequence, but I don't know in which order. I had a similar issue when I plugged in a USB-disk in my PC and during a reboot it did not start until I unplugged the disk. I had to change the boot order, but in my case I used an internal HDD as boot device.

I haven't checked the documentation for a long time (I don't use Daphile anymore myself for quite some time; I have a Docker-container running in linux with Logitech Media Server in that and a Squeezebox Touch as external player), but I think the idea is to install the ISO-file on a USB-thumbdrive and boot from that. This is then to check if you like Daphile and after that you should install on a disk. Usually that would be a SSD or HDD, which I would recomment for stability - especially when the server would be on 24/7. A USB memory stick or equivalent is also possible, but not for continuous usage.

One more thought I just got: I also had an issue with my USB-dac which prevented my system to work correctly. I added a USB-hub in which I plugged the DAC-dac into. After this it worked fine.

Scott, I see you mention..
"a new thumb drive with a fresh Daphile installation"
Can you check that the USB thumbdrive has the boot flag set .. if not then it may not be recognised and the bios will halt boot as no bootable drive is found.

Ah, I see now having re-read that the drive boots but the dac seems to be the stopper. Odd. As Pavel said, a failing power supply perhaps. The suggestion of a powered hub between the board and dac is sensible for checking and perhaps even reflash the original USB thumbdrive and see if that works.

Last edited:
does anyone know if a Netgear A6210 wireless network adapter works with Daphile my initial attempts where not successful but it could have just been me, if someone can confirm it works then i know to persist if it doesn't advice on a cheap one that does work would be appreciated, also could i connect with an Ethernet cable because in my setup that would actually be perfect. Thanks

so if i use Ethernet cable what do i put into my browser for it to connect?

I have umed and arhed about using Daphile for many years and always thought it was out of my comfort zone but i tried it on an old laptop and connected with my PC (opposite of what i want) and not only was the sound just fantastic it actually allowed my MiniMax supreme DAC to do direct DSD256 where as before it was limited to DoP 128 on Windows, so that was a big yes for me>

Depends on your o?s and browser...if they do DNS resolution then simply type
daphile.local and hit go.

otherwise you need the ip address of the connected Daphile..(something like 192.168.1.xx)
If you have an android smartphone then install Fing from the app store and use that to find the Daphile ip address.

i am not sure but at this stage @ $5 it won't hurt to try i use eset and it has a connected devices module that showed the Daphile machine there was 2 actually one with 10.0.0.6 and one with 192 xxxxxxx.1 (cant remember exact numbers) and i tried connecting to bot and nothing. Also the lights where the Ethernet cable connect were orange and not flashing.