Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I've an EMOTIVA XMC2 connected via USB to a Daphile NUC i3, it works well except when i try to play DSD or want to apply any resampling option such as BruteFIR.
My Daphile is on a Celeron based Mini-PC, connected via USB to a Rotel RC-1570 Preamp (pure stereo).

BruteFIR works smoothlessly, while DSD playback is the only feature I could not get to work properly. The Rotel itself can't process DSD, so Daphile should convert to PCM, but no setting I tried did work.

My current workaround is converting DSD files to 88.2 PCM FLAC, which works fine and hardly costs more than a minute per album. So there's not much pressure to find a solution on this issue.

Learning how to copy OS image onto a flash drive, how to configure bios to boot from usb etc. does not seem a bad investment of time.

On a different subject @phofman.
You once gave me a link to a TPA3116 amp that could be modified for balanced input for noise. Have you seen any of the current ones that could be modded, I can't find one, or your mod, although I do remember how to do the mod.
Thanks
thyristor44

Hello,

I hope someone is able to Help me. Is there and possibility to run an .exe or .py program on auto start from Daphile? I wanted to connect an Arduino with TFT Screen as HID. Also is there any way to read the metadata of the currently playing song with python or similar. Has someone else already tried this?

Thanks in advance and with best regards

DosenZorn

Since I didn't get any reactions I would like to ask again. Did anyone tried something similar, like writing a like program to support arduino/TFT screen interaction? I don't have any trouble to write arduino programs and set the circuit up to simulate a PC Keyboard with it.
So on Daphile I'm also able to use these simulated keyboard commands on the shortcuts settings to play/pause etc.

What I'd like to do additionally is to show the currently playing Songtitle on the screen. Therefore I'd like to write a python programme which I'm able to convert into an .exe type.
I'm also able to send information via serial connection to my arduino. What I'm not able yet is to read currently playing song metadata in python and auto run .exe files on daphile OS.

Does anyone have some tips on how to do this?

Thanks in advance again

- DosenZorn

On a different subject @phofman.
You once gave me a link to a TPA3116 amp that could be modified for balanced input for noise.

Adding an Amp into Thin-Client PC

Have you seen any of the current ones that could be modded, I can't find one, or your mod, although I do remember how to do the mod.

These amps are discussed in detail in this huge thread TPA3116D2 Amp . I try to keep an eye on it, IMO the most recommended board currently is https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp-1149.html#post6235660 . Since it has all four input caps in THT make, it should be trivial to convert the board to balanced input.

Just my general experiences form the last couple of days:

I tried with a couple of sound cards/dac's, and they were all supported:
Focusrite Scalett solo G3
SMSL Sanskrit
Asus Xonar X7(?)
Cambridge Audio (small USB interface)
Some Chinese usb DAC, can't remember the name.

I tried it on several laptops, and one was 32bit, so I had to download the other iso file. The other thing I had a problem with was the wifi adapter on one, but after running it via cable, it seemed to download a driver(?), and it started working after that.

Also an issue can be that some wifi adapters don't work as hot-spots, so I needed a cable to connect the first time. For some reason I never for any of them to connect to my wifi when starting from the USB setup drive. I always had to search for the wifi in Settings first, and then connect to it.

Hello,

After power down, my Daphile device wake up before the router, and it looks like that Daphile became DHCP server and start giving IP addresses (192.168.128.x) to other devices in the net.

Is there a way to disable Daphile to act as DHCP server?

-Roei

You could disable the hotspot in the network tap
IMG_2635.png

DSD Settings

What are the correct Daphile settings for playing DSD files? I just did fresh installs of version 21.01 for both 64 Bit and RT. Prior to the update when I played DSD (DSF or DFF) files on either version of Daphile the display on my DAC would indicate "DSD" and I believe it showed a sample rate of "1". After the new install it shows PCM and 44. The DAC is an EVO DAC 2 and it handles native DSD.

Last edited:
Since I didn't get any reactions I would like to ask again. Did anyone tried something similar, like writing a like program to support arduino/TFT screen interaction? I don't have any trouble to write arduino programs and set the circuit up to simulate a PC Keyboard with it.
So on Daphile I'm also able to use these simulated keyboard commands on the shortcuts settings to play/pause etc.

What I'd like to do additionally is to show the currently playing Songtitle on the screen. Therefore I'd like to write a python programme which I'm able to convert into an .exe type.
I'm also able to send information via serial connection to my arduino. What I'm not able yet is to read currently playing song metadata in python and auto run .exe files on daphile OS.

Does anyone have some tips on how to do this?

Thanks in advance again

- DosenZorn

Rather than focusing on Daphile, you may want to look into Logitech Media Server (LMS) itself.

Daphile is just repackaging LMS this along with an OS and it's own awesome tweaks.
You can see that here https://daphile.com/firmware/stable/CHANGES

I believe LMS has REST API's or you might be able to use CLI/Telnet commands.

I highly suggest you visit the LMS forums, look around & ask questions.
Squeezebox : Community : Forums

If anyone else thinks they know why I'm not getting DSD to the DAC, please let me know.

The DSD format is not officially handled by the USB-audio specs and audio devices cannot report its capability in a standard way. As a result USB IDs of devices known to support DSD are hard-coded in the linux USB-audio driver, in method linux/quirks.c at master * torvalds/linux * GitHub . If your device USB IDs are not handled by the method yet, it must be reported to the alsa-devel mailing list so that they are added to the kernel driver.

It will take a while (several months minimum) for the change to propagate into the new kernel release and for daphile to pick the new kernel.