Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Ok, I actually got further with the Dell. There was a bios setting for multimedia keys, so F1 did not respond because of that. It's now up an running with an IP shown in the screen, but I now have trouble connecting to it via web browser (crome). I tried the IP and the http's in the manual, but no luck.

I got it running on the Dell now. Using a USB stick as boot drive, so I can go back to Win7 & Foobar if I want.

I just have to figure out how to set up the power on/off if I hide the Dell laptop running Daphile.
The power up of the amp is controlled by usb (usb 5V via opto to mains relay), and it would be neat to be able to turn everything on and off without actually having to get to the power button on the Dell. Especially if I want to hide it somewhere.

I had an old Asus travel laptop which was useless and slow on Win 8, and now I got that one working with Daphile. Seems to work pretty smoothly for this application. Need to get in to the settings etc now to get everything as I want it.
Have to sleep on the power on problem :)

Thank you for the support!

OK, I admit I am network challenged. I am setting up music server for a friend. I tried searching for answer but came up empty.

I have Daphile on old PC, works great, have 2TB of music in it. It is connected to modem/router via Cat5 for future updates. I can connect to Daphile using laptop connected to my wifi network. Daphile server is in basement. Squeezebox Touch upstairs finds it wireless and sends music to pre amp, life is good.

If I want to use an android app, I cannot connect android app to Daphile. So I connect my phone to Daphile hotspot and enter password, phone app works but Squeezebox Touch does not send the music I selected to pre amp.

It seems for me to use android app I must connect Daphile music server direct to my USB DAC and cannot use Squeezebox Touch? I have tried connecting Daphile to my home wifi, phone app still inop. I typed in IP address of Daphile server, can't find it.

Or am I missing something???

Appreciate any help with my ignorance.

Last edited:
OK, I admit I am network challenged. I am setting up music server for a friend. I tried searching for answer but came up empty.

I have Daphile on old PC, works great, have 2TB of music in it. It is connected to modem/router via Cat5 for future updates. I can connect to Daphile using laptop connected to my wifi network. Daphile server is in basement. Squeezebox Touch upstairs finds it wireless and sends music to pre amp, life is good.

If I want to use an android app, I cannot connect android app to Daphile. So I connect my phone to Daphile hotspot and enter password, phone app works but Squeezebox Touch does not send the music I selected to pre amp.

It seems for me to use android app I must connect Daphile music server direct to my USB DAC and cannot use Squeezebox Touch? I have tried connecting Daphile to my home wifi, phone app still inop. I typed in IP address of Daphile server, can't find it.

Or am I missing something???

Appreciate any help with my ignorance.

try to use a browser (Chrome or other) on your phone and see if that works, go to: http://<IP-address of Daphile>:9000

this should present the Daphile page from which you can select the SB-Touch and then play music, just in the same way you would do from your PC.

If this works then the Android App is not configured in the right way.

BTW, if you add the Plugin "Material" in Daphile/LMS in the Settings page (Plugins-tab) you don't need the App at all: this is a great skin you can use via a browser on any phone. I do this myself and works very well.

hello there,
I've started using Daphile after having used LMS with a RPi 4 & PiCorePlayer. So far the move is very pleasant, i retrieved the LMS interface and main features. I've often rely on key actors (archimago, soundcheck...) to configure my RPi & LMS in order to get the best experience, and now i come to you to know what settings need to be activated/stopped in order to get the best of Daphile.
such as disabling BIOS Audio setting, graphic drivers, ...
My Nuc I3 is connected to an EMOTIVA XMC2 via USB.
Is there any best settings list somewhere?
Should i switch to HDMI or stay with USB?
Thanks in advance !

Hello,

I hope someone is able to Help me. Is there and possibility to run an .exe or .py program on auto start from Daphile? I wanted to connect an Arduino with TFT Screen as HID. Also is there any way to read the metadata of the currently playing song with python or similar. Has someone else already tried this?

Thanks in advance and with best regards

DosenZorn

You could try to boot a computer equipped with the interface from a usb stick, and see if the interface is supported?

I have been playing around with Daphile a bit now, and I think there is some improvement in sound quality. I think it is mainly with mp3-format, some old mp3's with not so great bitrate sound a bit better for some reason. On the FLAC's I can't tell any difference.
There is some lag in the control (change songs etc) and loading menus, but but not more than I can live with.
I did have a problem trying to copy a folder with a lot of music from external drive to the hard disk though. The Daphile computer crashed after a long time of copying, and no files were copied.

Daphile's website is god awful. It says almost nothing about what it actually is, or does. It assumes we already know.

I upgraded my gaming PC a few months back, and I have not gotten around to selling the old parts. Which consist of a MoBo, 8 core processor with liquid cooling, memory and I even have a 500 gig M2 hard drive that I can use. Including a high end PSU I'm not using. (Mind you, this is also all gaming gear just older gaming gear.)

I want to use my TV since that's part of my main listening setup as a PC monitor, so all I need is a Graphics card, and I have a dedicated pretty high-end music server that can do anything I want it to do!

I really want a compact PC case for my gear since I'm running out of room, and the last thing I need is a PC tower.

It seems like this whole "music server" thing is way under utilized in it's incredible possibilities, especially for someone like me, who's a techie, a tradesman, and an audiophile.

My thinking is, if you are using your PC as I am thinking, it is going to simply be a "music transport" in the way a CD transport is. So I'm wondering what if anything in your gear will actually matter when it comes to sound, with the exception of software, which also open's up upgraded firmware possibilities!

Like you said, with FLAC you could not tell a difference but with older MP3's you could. That seems to suggest to me, there is a possibility to improve sound with software.

This idea which the Daphile website seems to suggest that it's the USB digital "CABLE" because that's all it is, is somehow the "
brain" of their software, I don't know, I find it unbelievable, but I'm open minded, so who knows. I will say this, when it comes to digital recordings, my thinking is, it's always going to be in how well it's interpreted by the software, and how good the hardware that handles that end, which is always going to be in the DAC!

The whole idea of a CD transport and a dedicated DAC, is the transport was how good the laser was, and the DAC was how good the "conversion" was.

So I'm not sure what Daphile is offering other than a iTunes like audio organization program. All the important processing is done at the DAC!

I know that is a lot to unpack. :)

To understand and appreciate better daphile, you have to first know Logitec Media Server and Squeezzebox architecture and logic.

There are many advantages to use daphile as dedicated OS fine tuned to only rip, serve and play music. As a dedicated OS, you do not have many background tasks nor anti-viruses, firewall... Just a small pc/laptop is enough to run all the needed stuff.

Based on LMS you can serve and dispatch your music from the server to multiple player devices lighter.

As a server, it is better to have it running all the UP time to not ruin startup time in re-scanning library. If you have CD to rip you have the software to do it !

Then comes the player part. You can reuse full server/player software or just attach player to the main server (the way i use it).

You can use the server big box or you can use smaller nuc pc attached to the server. You can even use other distribution like picore player on rpi..

Remotely you can control from the server all the players using web ui, android app like Zqueezer, Pc App like SquezzliteX...

Like you said, with FLAC you could not tell a difference but with older MP3's you could. That seems to suggest to me, there is a possibility to improve sound with software.

Yes and no. MP3 is a lossy encoding, and different encoders and decoders do a better or worse job in recreating the sound. FLAC is lossless - as long as the software works correctly, the signal that comes out is exactly what went in.

That can be verified, and has been, many, many times. By measurements and by proper, double-blind listening tests.

@Clausen
Daphile's website is god awful. It says almost nothing about what it actually is, or does. It assumes we already know.

There it is in plain letters right at the top....
Daphile is an audiophile class music server & player OS – targeted to dedicated headless PC.

Followed by a list of features and screenshots.
There is even a big picture of where what and how it is connected and used...

What part of that do you think is "god awful" ??:confused:

Last edited:
So I'm not sure what Daphile is offering
Daphile is a very frugal system that plays nearly all encoded music files from the lossy mp3 to the audiophile DSD files and a lot of online services via plugins.
It is a server so it can deliver music to different devices through your house.

But its main advantage, that all good servers should have, is "install and forget". I know, not ideal for techies but a pleasure for audiophiles... ;)

Last edited:
@Clausen

There it is in plain letters right at the top....

Followed by a list of features and screenshots.
There is even a big picture of where what and how it is connected and used...

What part of that do you think is "god awful" ??:confused:

"Daphile is an audiophile class music server & player OS – targeted to dedicated headless PC"

Like I said it assumes you already know what this means. I had to look up "headless PC"...which I did just now. Also, in the "picture" it shows you hooking it up to a USB DAC. I have a perfectly good Audiophile DAC in my B&K Ref 30 Pre/Pro. I'm not interested in a separate USB DAC.

I have no idea what "player OS" means. And I'm pretty damn sure they use the word "audiophile" very loosly!

So if there were for example a FAQ, on their website, I probably wouldn't even be posting here! If they had, basic hookup drawings like you get in EVERY manual, not boxes with names and lines going to those boxes, I probably would not be posting here.

You quote me saying, "They assume I already know what this means." And then you assume I should know what it means! Which I'm pretty sure is why Daphile's website is "God awful" because people like you made it!

Last edited: