Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

AMD zen 3 has a wide choice of CPU's with a broad range of prices

Yes, as do all other processor families.
Which is why details are nice.

Not 100% sure I am onboard with AMD anyway. I was a loyal user many years ago, then switched to Intel after AMD gave up on powerful processors.
Never knew how many issues I was having with AMD chipsets until I made the switch.

We recently replaced our super computer at work with AMD cores. I was part of the beta-testing before it went live, and use it several times a week now.
Lots of unexpected issues caused by AMD compatibility problems (just like the good 'ol days).

Trouble with Daphile and iPlayer

Hello
I am having trouble with Daphile getting BBC iplayer and iplayer extra, it has worked up to recently but has stopped. Radio 3 live uk works perfectly but iplayer gives: there was an error loading remote feed (error410, gone) and also the same on other stations.
I updated to the latest firmware, 20.08 64, no better so I formatted and did a fresh install and still no good.
Has anyone any ideas what is wrong.
Thanks
thyristor44

Hello
I am having trouble with Daphile getting BBC iplayer and iplayer extra, it has worked up to recently but has stopped. Radio 3 live uk works perfectly but iplayer gives: there was an error loading remote feed (error410, gone) and also the same on other stations.
I updated to the latest firmware, 20.08 64, no better so I formatted and did a fresh install and still no good.
Has anyone any ideas what is wrong.
Thanks

did you try the beta version and update plugns?

sometimes the 3rd party providers change things and the new situation is not yet reflected in the current version. For me that cured the sudden issue that stopped Tidal from streaming properly.

I have also switched to AMD, 5 1600 on a Gigabyte 450 ds3 MB, (for now) 64Gb RAM, 16Gb Intel Optane for the OS, Pink Faun OCXO I2S output.
This rig will SING.

Great to see Daphile allows easy migration of the OS to the Optane, boots perfectly, now only to clean up the mess where my music files are located and figure out a way to play from Optane rather than RAM or SSD.

Optane simply sounds much quieter, cleaner, natural especially with USB disabled SSD powered off (using external PSU)....Would love to be able to auto buffer files (likely not streaming stuff) to the Optane drive!

figure out a way to play from Optane rather than RAM or SSD

With that much RAM all your files will be cached in memory anyway upon first access.

Optane simply sounds much quieter, cleaner, natural especially with USB disabled SSD powered off (using external PSU)....Would love to be able to auto buffer files (likely not streaming stuff) to the Optane drive!

SSD -> RAM -> player

vs.

SSD -> RAM -> Optane NVMe -> RAM -> player

Where is the scope for the different sound?

Hi to all,

I'm new with liquid music and I hope to post in the correct Thread...

I have read many articles about Daphile and now, considering that I have an external DAC (Topping D90 MQA), I decided to buy a MiniPC to install Daphile.
Below some questions that can help me with MiniPC choice and Daphile installation:

- Which type of MiniPc is better for Daphile installiation an AMD Ryzen or an Intel?
- How much RAM i need? My idea is 16Gb (because I want to leave open the possibility to use the MiniPC with Windows if I don't like Daphile) Is it ok?
- What's the differences between "64-bit x86" and "64-bit x86 with realtime kernel"
- I have read that if the music files are entirely loaded on RAM Daphile sounds better. Is it true? In case, what's the settings that allow this?

Many thanks in advance
Andrea

Hello,
- Which type of MiniPc is better for Daphile installiation an AMD Ryzen or an Intel?
- How much RAM i need? My idea is 16Gb (because I want to leave open the possibility to use the MiniPC with Windows if I don't like Daphile) Is it ok?
- What's the differences between "64-bit x86" and "64-bit x86 with realtime kernel"
- I have read that if the music files are entirely loaded on RAM Daphile sounds better. Is it true? In case, what's the settings that allow this?

I am a Daphile fan since end of 2013 and except a correct USB cable, I haven't change my config since the beginning.
My Daphile is on a GIGABYTE BRIX CELERON N2807 with 4 Go RAM and a small 64 Go SSD with a USB connection to a Teac UD-501 DAC.
I never suffered any trouble from the weak Intel celeron. I tried to torture it playing dsf files while reconstructing the database (about 150k files) and it didn't bring any trouble.
As the PC is in my music room the most important is to have a silencious machine so, passive cooling is the way to go.
For the rest (realtime kernel and playing from memory) the best is to test by yourself. It's fun a allows you to listen more carefully (if possible) than on a daily basis.

To summarize, with Daphile you don't need to spend a lot of money to have a lot of fun ;)

Hello,

I am a Daphile fan since end of 2013 and except a correct USB cable, I haven't change my config since the beginning.
My Daphile is on a GIGABYTE BRIX CELERON N2807 with 4 Go RAM and a small 64 Go SSD with a USB connection to a Teac UD-501 DAC.
I never suffered any trouble from the weak Intel celeron. I tried to torture it playing dsf files while reconstructing the database (about 150k files) and it didn't bring any trouble.
As the PC is in my music room the most important is to have a silencious machine so, passive cooling is the way to go.
For the rest (realtime kernel and playing from memory) the best is to test by yourself. It's fun a allows you to listen more carefully (if possible) than on a daily basis.

To summarize, with Daphile you don't need to spend a lot of money to have a lot of fun ;)

Thank you Lionel,

I have read that Is important to use an audiophile USB cable in order to allow a continouous data transfer.
About the fan noise, it's not a problem for me; considering that I play music "not at low volume"!!;):D

Would you mind sharing the details of the build?

Thanks,
-Josh

The config is a s follows ..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5800x (8 cores/16 threads, 3.8ghz / 4.7Ghz)
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus b550 master (superior VRM)
RAM: Gskill 2x8gb ddr4 3200 (could not get 4GB DDR4)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 black (efficient and very quiet)

case: Fractal Design Define R4
PSU: Corsair AX860 (low ripple))
System disk: Kingston A2000 m.2 nvme 128GB
Music Disk: WD RED WD80EFAX 256MB 8TB

Output is AVM PA 8.3 modular preamp, 4 x AVM MA 8.3 monoblocks amplifier, and Gauder Akustik DARC 200 speakers. Sound is a noticeable improvement (upper frequency crisper and better definition, tighter bass) on a Streacom R5 configured with an Intel 9600 through the same system.

Last edited:
figure out a way to play from Optane rather than RAM or SSD.

I use an external NAS, and playing from RAM is much worse on my rig.
Which is one of the main reasons I am interested in replacing my rig.
My rig was built to be a workstation working with large data. When I built it, I was more concerned with high quality ethernet than USB (USB is slow...). I expect I would get much better sound if I down graded substantially to a Celeron.

On another note, I recently invested in a OpticalRendu.
This was a huge improvement in sound quality, and keeps all but the last bit of the signal in nice ethernet cable or fiber, and my USB cable never gets near a computer.

Output is AVM PA 8.3 modular preamp, 4 x AVM MA 8.3 monoblocks amplifier, and Gauder Akustik DARC 200 speakers. Sound is a noticeable improvement (upper frequency crisper and better definition, tighter bass) on a Streacom R5 configured with an Intel 9600 through the same system.
Thanks, I really appreciate you posting the full details.

-Josh

Do you use this PC for anything else but Daphile? Also what sort of power does it take.

Goodevening,

MiniPC and audio USB cable bought!
Now I'm waiting the delivery and in the meantime I'm trying to understand how I have to install Daphile.
But I have some questions unsolved:

- Before the installation on the Mini-PC internal hard drive, the HD needs to be formatted or if it has already a windows installation on it the Daphile installation process will erease the HD partition by itself and installs daphile? If I need to make a manual HD formatting wich format is the correct one (ExFAT, FAT32, NTFS)?

- Considering that the Mini-PC HD has a 512Gb capacity and that the Daphile Operating System has a dimension of 1Gb, the remaining capacity is automatically allocated for data? If not, how I can indicate the amount that I desire for data files? (because I read that is better to allocate a good amount of disk space for library indexing) Or the space that Daphile reserve to library indexing is the same where I can put music files? If I need to allocate space for library indexing, I need to do it on installation process or I can do after by in app settings?

Many thanks and merry Christmas
Andrea

- Before the installation on the Mini-PC internal hard drive, the HD needs to be formatted or if it has already a windows installation on it the Daphile installation process will erease the HD partition by itself and installs daphile? If I need to make a manual HD formatting wich format is the correct one (ExFAT, FAT32, NTFS)?

The drive needs to be Unformatted to install Daphile.
Daphile will automatically set up and format it's required partitions. (any other O/S or data on the drive will be erased..)

When you first start Daphile from a live USB stick and have a keyboard and screen attached (for install only) it will ask you to select various settings.(Press F1)..one of which is to clear the target drive that Daphile will be installed to...do this and then when the live Daphile boots and you access it from another device you will find the settings for install will show the target drive.
If the drive is not cleared (and made unformatted) then it will be unable to be selected.

Read the instructions and FAQ
https://www.daphile.com/download/DaphileInstallation.pdf
https://www.daphile.com/download/FAQ.txt

Last edited:
Hello dear!
I just started getting to know Daphile and I am having problems:
image.jpg

"Clipping detected (56036 samples)."
log file:
PHP:
[14:20:39.087943] stream_thread:176 headers: len: 487
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Logitech Media Server (8.0.0 - git24882c8)
Connection: close
Content-Type: audio/x-wav
Set-Cookie: Squeezebox-albumView=; path=/
Set-Cookie: Squeezebox-expandPlayerControl=; path=/
Set-Cookie: Squeezebox-expanded-MY_MUSIC=1; path=/
Set-Cookie: Squeezebox-expanded-FAVORITES=1; path=/
Set-Cookie: Squeezebox-expanded-PLUGINS=; path=/
Set-Cookie: Squeezebox-expanded-PLUGIN_MY_APPS_MODULE_NAME=1; path=/
Set-Cookie: Squeezebox-expanded-RADIO=0; path=/

[14:20:41.082236] _check_header:77 WAVE
[14:20:41.082299] _check_header:101 header: fmt  len: 40
[14:20:41.082321] _check_header:134 pcm size: 3 rate: 48000 chan: 2 bigendian: 0
[14:20:41.082342] _check_header:101 header: fact len: 4
[14:20:41.082361] _check_header:101 header: data len: 79856640
[14:20:41.082382] _check_header:111 audio size: 79856640
[14:20:41.082403] pcm_decode:203 setting track_start
[14:20:41.082424] resample_newstream:231 disable resampling - rates match
[14:20:41.082444] process_newstream:123 processing: inactive
[14:20:41.118979] _output_frames:61 start buffer frames: 155634
[14:20:41.119040] _output_frames:146 track start sample rate: 48000 replay_gain: 0
[14:21:28.659803] decode_flush:228 decode flush
[14:21:28.659856] output_flush:423 flush output buffer

Please help me set up Daphile and sort out these errors.

Thank you for the answer.

But the target drive need to have only the partition created and not formatted or Daphile installation process will erease the operating sistem already on the target drive (in my case Windows 10)?

Yes, it will erase the current OS if you don't have a separate partition.

To clarify things a bit, drives come pre-formatted. Daphile will re-format the drive.

This whole topic can be a huge can of worms, with many correct solutions depending on your knowledge and what you are willing to put up with in terms of hassle.

I will make a few points for consideration:
Keeping a copy of Windows handy might be good. You can run an alternate software like HQPlayer to compare quality and ease of use. You also paid good money for Windows...
Daphile will require rebooting often during set up and experimentation. So, it would be nice if your PC booted directly into Daphile or defaulted into Daphile if you dual boot. When I last looked into this, I found that Daphile needed to be installed first.

I opted to install Daphile and Windows on separate physical drives in my rig, and then simply swap the drives when I change OS's. This is actually easier and faster on my rig than changing the BIOS settings. I actually have a small stack of drives with different set ups.

If the vendor that sold you your mini-PC gave you the Windows activation code, I suggest just letting Daphile format your drive to it's liking, and then worry about getting Windows working later. The activation code does not care what drive it gets used or re-used on. It registers the motherboard and CPU combination, and will only fail to work when used on a different rig altogether. Even then, you can ask MS for a key if you opt to use Windows on a different rig. The copy of Win10 on my HTPC started as Win98, and has seen no less than 4 full rebuilds.

If you don't have the key, then get a new drive or clone the drive on a spare.

If you decide Daphile is not to your liking, just move on to your next option. Drives are really cheap these days, and are easy to swap even if you have to take things apart a bit.