Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I recently purchased an Asus U7, in hopes of trying out crossovers in PC software. I connected it to Daphille and imported the same convolution filters I was using on my other DAC, an Aune T1 V1. (The filters de-characterize my FR speakers onto a flatter measured response)

I didnt like the sound, so the project stops there, assuming it's just how the U7 sounds.

While playing around, I noticed Daphille automatically makes available 3 selections for output routing; I tried all 3, finding one selected the SPDIF output as per the U7s indicator light.

None of the selections, I assume, outputs a stereo signal simultaneously on multiple outputs of this SC. If that were true, I'd assume it'd be easy to accommodate a convolution filter file for each output, as each channel of the stereo signal gets its own filter file upload (Being new at this, I just upload the same one for each channel).

Any chance a feature such as simultaneous multiple outputs of stereo audio, each with its own convolution filter, in the future? Or is this super hard and if possible, would have been done already? Thanks for any comments -

Last edited:
I found an ASUS AC56 lying around which works.

However, when I'm tweaking the system I may have to reboot a few times. More often than not the network, whether wired or wireless, refuses to reconnect, and makes the entire thing inoperable.

Am I doing something wrong, is this an known issue with known fix ?

I am using an ASRock J3455M mobo. Maybe I should try with a regular i5 or something ? But that would mean a fan. And noise.

Thanks, Pete

I found an ASUS AC56 lying around which works.

However, when I'm tweaking the system I may have to reboot a few times. More often than not the network, whether wired or wireless, refuses to reconnect, and makes the entire thing inoperable.

Am I doing something wrong, is this an known issue with known fix ?

I am using an ASRock J3455M mobo. Maybe I should try with a regular i5 or something ? But that would mean a fan. And noise.

Thanks, Pete
Your problem is not related to cpu power, the system uses very few resources.

I have had a couple of similar problems and if not other thing works a clean install solves them.
You could try configuring a fix ip adress also.

I tried with a fixed IP but no go. I think there's simply something wrong with the implementation of the J3455 board. I dug out an old i5 3570 on an H77 (also ASRock) and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately it has a fan and the power connectors are on the 'wrong' side of the board. So I can't use that.

I think I have a Streacom case with heatpipes I could try. That might work.

Pete

I took a look at Daphile out of curiosity and I wondered what it is using underneath the nice interface. I found the "credits" button after a bit of searching. The information presented there is very nicely presented and it was obviously quite some work to collect all license agreements etc. Well done!
However it wasn't that easy to find the list. I had to download Daphile, run it, connect with a browser and find my way through the interface. I think it would be great if this information was also available on the project website. That wouldn't need to be as complete, just the list of included software and a pointer to the credits page would be enough I think.

I took a look at Daphile out of curiosity and I wondered what it is using underneath the nice interface. I found the "credits" button after a bit of searching. The information presented there is very nicely presented and it was obviously quite some work to collect all license agreements etc. Well done!
However it wasn't that easy to find the list. I had to download Daphile, run it, connect with a browser and find my way through the interface. I think it would be great if this information was also available on the project website. That wouldn't need to be as complete, just the list of included software and a pointer to the credits page would be enough I think.
if you would like to see things changed/altered/added or would like to comment on Daphile, please go to Daphile – Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles and write to down there. Kipeta (creator of Daphile) can be contacted through that page.

I tried with a fixed IP but no go. I think there's simply something wrong with the implementation of the J3455 board. I dug out an old i5 3570 on an H77 (also ASRock) and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately it has a fan and the power connectors are on the 'wrong' side of the board. So I can't use that.

Pete
Im using an asrock j4205 mboard without any trouble, should be similar to yours

Pete

I built one out of spares in the form of an H77 itx board and a Streacom 8 case with heatpipes. It's a bit of a faff, as the pico supply fits only just under the heatpipes, I'm short a USB controller so it's either the two front ports or the Streacom infrared.
But it works fine, and I even have the Synology access and the wireless USB (ASUS AC-56) working. I'm now going to see if I can detune the i5-3570 so it produces less heat.

So far so good.

Ok, new problem. I have 2 wireless networks, let's call them net5 for the 5 GHz wireless, and net2 for the 2.4GHz.
After installation with a UTP I can configure and use net5 without problems. Since the player is located on another floor and I have a rebarred concrete floor, 5 GHz isn't working and I would like to use the 2.4 (which I know does carry that far). Daphile is NOT seeing net2, no matter what I do or where I put it. Close, far, middle, top floor, ground floor, no net 2. UTP andt net5, no issues.
Is this a known 'bug' or am I doing something wrong ? Again ?

Thanks, Pete

FLIRC & Daphile - I got it working

Further to my request for getting a FLIRC remote control working in Daphile, well I got it working.

Here are some notes. The short version is that I configured LIRC in Daphile to listen to the commands from my remote and then trigger CURL commands to execute basic functions on the player. The stuff below worked for me and I am posting in case it is helpful to someone else. Some adjustments are very likely to be needed.

I followed the lirc guide here LIRC - Linux Infrared Remote Control

I programmed the FLIRC on my windows machine using the FLIRC software - this is by assigning key presses on the remote to media keys

I had to use a beta release of Daphile because i needed to SSH in.

SSH as root to daphile machine

FLIRC is in /dev/input

look in by-id - could give a clue - on my machine FLIRC was in event 2

test with
ir-keytable -t -d /dev/input/event2 - prints keys on keypresses​

edit /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf to include
driver = devinput
device = /dev/input/event2
test with
/etc/init.d/lircd start
irw
-> should see keypresses

Now need to bind keypresses to commands to control player - this is done via irexec

edit /etc/lirc/irexec.lircrc to add commands like the following - player id will be different - get this from the Daphile logs
begin
prog = irexec
button = KEY_PLAYPAUSE
config = curl -X GET "http://localhost:9000/status.html?player=5a:0d:d4:44:55:29&p0=pause" > /dev/null 2>&1
end

begin
prog = irexec
button = KEY_REWIND
config = curl -X GET "http://localhost:9000/status.html?player=5a:0d:d4:44:55:29&p0=playlist&p1=jump&p2=-0" > /dev/null 2>&1
end

begin
prog = irexec
button = KEY_FASTFORWARD
config = curl -X GET "http://localhost:9000/status.html?player=5a:0d:d4:44:55:29&p0=playlist&p1=jump&p2=%2b1" > /dev/null 2>&1
end

begin
prog = irexec
button = KEY_STOPCD
config = curl -X GET "http://localhost:9000/status.html?player=5a:0d:d4:44:55:29&p0=stop" > /dev/null 2>&1
end

begin
prog = irexec
button = KEY_PREVIOUSSONG
config = curl -X GET "http://localhost:9000/status.html?player=5a:0d:d4:44:55:29&p0=playlist&p1=jump&p2=-1" > /dev/null 2>&1
end

begin
prog = irexec
button = KEY_NEXTSONG
config = curl -X GET "http://localhost:9000/status.html?player=5a:0d:d4:44:55:29&p0=playlist&p1=jump&p2=%2b1" > /dev/null 2>&1
end
now edit /etc/init.d irexec to add - this uses the /etc/lirc/irexec.lircrc file edited above as the options for irexec
: ${IREXEC_OPTS:=/etc/lirc/irexec.lircrc}​

Now add lircd and irexec to the default runlevel so they start when the machine boots
rc-update add lircd default
rc-update add irexec-flirc default

Once I did all this I have got play/pause, stop, rewind, prev track and next track on my remote to Daphile via FLIRC. It is very handy - I don't have to fumble about for the computer to stop playback if the phone rings etc now.

The only slight annoyance is that firstly I will need to do this update every time I upgrade (not too bad because I can do it in about 10 mins now I have the process) and secondly I am stuck on beta releases now because I need the SSH access.

Anyway hope this helps someone.