• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

Anybody have some insights? The big man Soekris himself maybe?

There are plenty of published 5V points, just add your favorite 3.3V lin regulator.... I assume you will connect the LVDS receiver to the 2nd I2S port, that connector have 5V.

You can't take 3.3V from the USB receiver, it's on the other side of the isolation....

Last edited:
I have the same problem with the I2S input.
It was just the other way round. NO sound in DOP mode.
Signal was not locked.
Income stream was locked when I use native but the sound output has lots of static.

Who has good experiences with DSD on the DAM1941?

When I send in native DSD over I2S to my DAM1941 it does not lock on the stream and no sound can be heard.

Wen I send in DSD over PCM (DoP) then I occasionally see the DAM recognizing a DSD64 stream for example, but audio remains silent. Other times it also does not lock on the incoming stream.

I yet need to test over USB, this is tested over the additional I2S input.

Input device is a IanCanada FifoPi that can be configured to output either DoP or Native DSD. I can see that it processes DSD by a blue led lighting up.

Any experiences with the DAM1941?

If you have made all the effort with the other feeds why stumble at the end - get it an own 3,3V.. I did for my 1121 builds and their Toslink receiver.

//

I have come to this conclusion also.
But I'm also pondering if I should dismantle, retire or sell my dedicated pi streamer box and make a streamer/dac with the dam and have one box. That way I would not need the extra 3.3 for the LVDS i²s.

Dumb question maybe, I know the DAM1941 can drive about anything as is and even better when enabling parallel mode. But I was wondering if connecting it to a 100k stepped shunt attenuator I have lying around might work to connect it to a poweramp. Before anyone starts about the digital volume being great and all i understand. But I like analog volume control and I might want to hook a phono stage up as well without a buffer between the volume and the power amp.

FWIW I have an unbalanced dam1121 connected to a 50K stepped attenuator, feeding into a 1M preamp / headphone amp. Impedance of the dam1941 is about the same so I don't see why not. Damping factor is fine too, if you believe that matters at all.

What's damping factor got to do with a dac or a preamp?

Not that i understand why anyone would use a stepped attenuator given the quality of the inbuilt digital attenuator. There is also no need to use 50, or god forbid, a 100k instead of 5 or 10k. It's just asking for problems.

Did Cney and myself not dress up our posts enough to not get into such discussions? Which is why I'll refrain from answering. The setup will likely work fine and that answers the man's question.

While you dressed it enough, Cney didn’t. Hi didn’t say where the pot will be located and what is the impedance of the amp.

Lot of animosity for a question I asked because I want to learn and check things before instead of haphazardly connect things. 100K was for my integrated amp, a Harman Kardon PM665. Manual says "Main in" 0,8V/22k Ohms impedance. It didn't physically fit, so I maybe wanted to try and put it within the dac enclosure and connect that to the power amp section negating the preamp because the amp has that ability. I thought that if the volume control on the amp was 100K this would be pretty similar in this situation.

I also think it's kind of bizarre that I explained that I knew about the digital volume control and why I wanted to try an analog control (because I might want to make a complete preamp out of it that can also have a phono stage connected to it. so I might also add a buffer or not.) but still had to read about the volume control being good and sufficient.

100k is an extremely poor choice for a volume control that is not integrated within the power amp. Yes, it will work, nothing will blow up.

This sounded kind of passive aggressive to me but was helpful thank you.

I don't get why people have to be so rude and/or annoyed by a question from somebody that doesn't have the knowledge about a certain thing and tries to get some knowledge by asking it in a forum that has people that can enlighten them. I thought this was kind of the point of a forum.

@soekis thanks for your fast shipping.

If i way to replace those 1000uF capacitor with same values one.
What is the preferable temperature for solder iron (i am using hakko fx888d). thanks

Why would you replace those ? They are already high quality very low ESR polymer types.

Soldering temperature should match the solder used, the dam1941 are soldered with lead-fee solder.

oh, let me revise my question. I want to know is there a preferable temperature for de-soldering.

This is planned to test the capacitor difference when change to Audionote-Kaiser-Non-polar series.

@soekis for a dump question, does change the capacitor make the dam1941 degrade from manufacture specifications? such as S/N ratio.

Dear Soekris /folks,
As referred to 'dam1941_fileset.pdf', there is an 'Inductor 10uH 1.0A R150 (part no.: RLB0712-100KL)' used in 'Buffer Board buf1961'.

Since this it is out of stock on Digikey, may I know is there an alternative I can use for?
Is any inductor with exactly Inductance and larger than 1.0A is OKay?

Thanks all.