• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

I have a project in mind.
The soekris 1941 dam in parallel mode comes out at 2.6 volts and zout of 313ohm.
At the output there is no dc offset but still there is high frequency noise from the r-2r switching process.
For this reason I would like to make a transformer output stage.
A transformer thanks to its bandwith can filter out high frequency noise without using a harmful low pass filter, right?

My concern is, is technically possible to build a 1:1 transformer that will accept its 2.6volt SE and 313 output impedance? With a bandwitdh of 20-25.000 khz.

Thank you.

My concern is, is technically possible to build a 1:1 transformer that will accept its 2.6volt SE and 313 output impedance? With a bandwitdh of 20-25.000 khz.

A 1:1 transformer fed from a low impedance and without any dc is about the easiest transformer to design. Don't know how you can limit the bandwidth to 25kHz though. Or why. Do you plan to use the NOS filter with redbook?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have a project in mind.
The soekris 1941 dam in parallel mode comes out at 2.6 volts and zout of 313ohm.
At the output there is no dc offset but still there is high frequency noise from the r-2r switching process.
For this reason I would like to make a transformer output stage.
A transformer thanks to its bandwith can filter out high frequency noise without using a harmful low pass filter, right?

Thank you.
There are no measurable high frequency noise.
That (using transformers) was my idea too, but years ago working well without its.
1941 output fed to directly my #801a preamp tubes.

If you still using transformers, choose Jensen JT-11P1 or Cinemag CMLI 15-15B.
Both of them measured -3dB point are over 70kHz.

Reactions: 1 user
There are no measurable high frequency noise.
That (using transformers) was my idea too, but years ago working well without its.
1941 output fed to directly my #801a preamp tubes.

If you still using transformers, choose Jensen JT-11P1 or Cinemag CMLI 15-15B.
Both of them measured -3dB point are over 70kHz.
I’ve a question, since the output impedance of the dam1941 in parallel mode is 313ohm, is better to use a transformer with the same primary impedance or higher? For example an 1:1 trafo with 315ohm impedance?

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Because I don't want r-2r switching high frequency noise injected into my 300b se integrated amplifier.
Triodes are pretty sensitive to high frequency noise.

Transformers if well done have better performances compared to a low pass rc or lc filter for my purpose.
So your plan is to remove one parallel capacitor and replace it with 2 inductors? Or will you keep the capacitors as you add the trafo?

What noise have you measured? Or seen in measurements - ref?

//

The DAM DACs has a capacitor on its output forming a LP filter.

//
I didn’t know it, exactly where is this lp filter?🤔

Attachments

• CD747B56-EAF9-4511-84FE-659393CE5585.jpeg
    CD747B56-EAF9-4511-84FE-659393CE5585.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 152
Because I don't want r-2r switching high frequency noise injected into my 300b se integrated amplifier.
Triodes are pretty sensitive to high frequency noise.
No, they are not. Whatever they cannot amplify they just filter. Whatever they do amplify, the output transformer filters. Either way, no prob. A solid state, high NFB circuit may indeed get upset with a lot of out of band noise but a tube amp working open loop, no way.

In my case the dam1941 was followed by a balanced tube preamp with a transformer coupled output into solid state power amps. Removal of the dam low pass filter brought only benefits.