• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

I have no idea, I would not bet on that. I have experimented with a lot of hardware and software to get my transport where I wanted it to be. And I cant explain why stuff sounds so different.It is simply the case.

Softwarewise I ended up with MPD (MPDpup). Rasperry is OK, but not the highest grade and I tried anything incl. allo signature usbridge, Ian'S nattery supply and FIFO etcetc. IN the end my old Alix 1D with Sotm Usb-card outperforms them still.

I have as well the Pulsar-Clocks...made not such a big difference to be honest...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Are we still claiming that the jitter is the main factor influencing the “sound” of the transport?

No, I wrote that it is a combination of things. Low jitter is an important one but so are the other items. Don't underestimate the 2x conversion/muxing/demuxing of data lines and clock signal in SPDIF. The test is simple. Recently I hear opinions of people stating that lower jitter means colder sound :) Well real instruments do not know jitter do they?

Most convenient is to keep the 2 box way of working and to couple several sources to an external DAC but simple tests can reveal the limitations.

A one box device with separated sections and linear PSU's with I2S to the DAC and a low jitter clock is the means to what is possible in digital audio. The 2 box approach is way harder to get right, maybe except for the shielding.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Sorry but I think we misunderstand?!?! The whole audio branch is about winning customers for dedicated audio computers/media players it seems. Aurender, Auralic, Cambridge, Lumin, Bluesound, NAD, Melco, Sonos, Sony, Audiolab, NAIM, Cocktail Audio, Pioneer to name a few that produce these devices. Some of these devices were designed with a lot of care for clocks, separated clean power supply sections, shielding, reducing CM noise etc. Some members choose RPI with HATs for a DIY solution with all bells and whistles with the same goal. There is a lot more to choose from than choosing between a pc and a CD player.

Again, it is NOT solely about low jitter but I see you think jitter is irrelevant? Well high jitter also is not the way to go ;) Also a relatively easy test to do.

Last edited:
I think, I got misunderstood too. A few years back, with a different DAC and different system, I also thought that computer was better that my CD Transports. It’s only now, when my system became much more revealing and with all the mods on DAC, I’m coming to conclusion that I much more enjoy old school playback. So my main point was not really about advantage of one source over the other, but the praise of the DAC that it became so good.

To make sure I’m not imagining things, I did a quick google search on ‘transport vs streaming’ on whatsbest forum and this thread came up: Are Transports Obsolete? | What's Best Audio and Video Forum. The Best High End Audio Forum on the planet!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi I think we are miscommunicating. Maybe we should both reread our own posts :D

BTW in my experience local storage (not always possible) is often better than streaming. Old fashioned as I am I only use the network for filling/controlling devices as they unfortunately lack displays.

Last edited:
Who has good experiences with DSD on the DAM1941?

When I send in native DSD over I2S to my DAM1941 it does not lock on the stream and no sound can be heard.

Wen I send in DSD over PCM (DoP) then I occasionally see the DAM recognizing a DSD64 stream for example, but audio remains silent. Other times it also does not lock on the incoming stream.

I yet need to test over USB, this is tested over the additional I2S input.

Input device is a IanCanada FifoPi that can be configured to output either DoP or Native DSD. I can see that it processes DSD by a blue led lighting up.

Any experiences with the DAM1941?

Hi boys,

I want connect raspberry 3 B+ with volumio to my dam via I2S. I want to power raspberry via GPIO. Surely you have experience with something like this.
What PSU do you recommend? 7805 will be ok? Or something quieter?

Thanks

I have a LDOVR mezzanine board as the power supply to my pi and the hifiberry digi plus pro on top. You can choose what voltages you want and how many of them to supply power to different HATS or external things. It also splits the power supply from the pi and the HATS for obvious reasons.

Question

Is there a place on the DAM1941 where I can tap 3.3 bts from for a LVDS HDMI i2s adapter? It just feels silly to have a separate power supply for that thing alone. I might get away with a small LDO board. But I'd rather just tap it from somewhere close. Maybe the XMOS chip has 3.3 somewhere?