• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DAC ES9038 PRO Group Buys

Here is my feedback to Quanghao's comment after one day of using the ES9038 DAC. My output transformers still need a lot of run-in. So I do expect more improvement.

1. bass sound better, very strong and deep. - ES9018S very poor point.

This overcomes the downsides of the 9018S.

Fully agree. The ES9038 is much much more authoritative on the bass compare to ES9018 with output transformer.

I have owned other ES9018 DAC with discrete output component and their bass is very good. So shy in bass for ES9018 probably only applies to using passive output transformer.

2. Tweeter is very clear and detailed more than 9018S

I find 9038 is on par or may be better than 9018.

3. Mid is the same, difficult to distinguish

I find 9038 generally has more control ability. This apply to the mids as well. I find 9038 (using passive transformer) is a much much more balanced DAC soundwise compare to the 9018 (using passive transformer).

Stereo sound and dynamics are very impressive.

Full Agreed.

4. The ES9038PRO has an impressive, vibrant music space

Still waiting for the output transformer to run-in. Vibrant. Yes.

5. Especially ES9038 consumes huge currents, 3 times more than 9018S and pretty hot chips, so I need to use heat sink for ES9038.

Thank you for taking care of the DAC.

Here is my feedback to Quanghao's comment after one day of using the ES9038 DAC. My output transformers still need a lot of run-in. So I do expect more improvement.

Fully agree. The ES9038 is much much more authoritative on the bass compare to ES9018 with output transformer.

I have owned other ES9018 DAC with discrete output component and their bass is very good. So shy in bass for ES9018 probably only applies to using passive output transformer.

I find 9038 is on par or may be better than 9018.

I find 9038 generally has more control ability. This apply to the mids as well. I find 9038 (using passive transformer) is a much much more balanced DAC soundwise compare to the 9018 (using passive transformer).

Full Agreed.

Still waiting for the output transformer to run-in. Vibrant. Yes.

Thank you for taking care of the DAC.

I heartily appreciate your honest comments!

Very respectful and thank you!

my English is bad !

I hope you understand!

Here descrete out put .

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 462
Further Comment on ES9038 DAC with output transformer

Dear All,

Here is my further comment on my last night listening session. I was listening to Jacintha Autumn Leaves SACD. (using ripped SACD.ISO from the USB input)

The sound is thick and musical which is unlike to the previous ES9018 with output transformer. Being musical, it also sounds dynamic. The lower frequency portion of the vocal come standing out like you can listen to the vocal coming from throat.

I start to like this DAC a lot. This ES9038 is surely a step up in the game compare to the ES9018.

Dear All,

Here is my further comment on my last night listening session. I was listening to Jacintha Autumn Leaves SACD. (using ripped SACD.ISO from the USB input)

The sound is thick and musical which is unlike to the previous ES9018 with output transformer. Being musical, it also sounds dynamic. The lower frequency portion of the vocal come standing out like you can listen to the vocal coming from throat.

I start to like this DAC a lot. This ES9038 is surely a step up in the game compare to the ES9018.

Like your information!

Thank you very much!

what design? and show me your connect to DAC ?? and link for this design ? (descrete out put )

Now you can test only DAC with no use iv output , simple test sound DAC.

You need use one cap 1 -220uF min 6.3V for test sound with your amli.

see schema
thanks

Now ok without descrete ,so I need to check IV out again .

Thanks quanghao.

Last edited:
Hello,

I was looking for a 6 channels DAC and I find this thread, very nice project ! ... but as I read, there is not 6 channels option.
Does anyone know if there is out there a nice multi-channel DAC KIT ?
... Quanghao are you planning to do something like this in the future ?

Thanks !

Hello,

I was looking for a 6 channels DAC and I find this thread, very nice project ! ... but as I read, there is not 6 channels option.
Does anyone know if there is out there a nice multi-channel DAC KIT ?
... Quanghao are you planning to do something like this in the future ?

Thanks !

You can try the Twisted Pear Audio. Their Buffalo IV is on its way. They should support a 8 channel.

Hi Pepe,
Now HQ-IV tube and HQ-HV power not in stock.
Total: 1173$ - 584$ = 589$.
Please payment.
Thanks!

Hello Quanghao,

money sent via paypal, transaction ID# 8A062431GV000013V for your reference.

Do you have in stock the output PCB for transformers ?. If the answer is yes, do please tell me how much should I sent you to buy 2.

I am sending you a pm regarding the shipment. Please take look and tell me what you think.

Thank you
Pepe

Last edited:
using LL1684

Quanghao,

Not sure why you are not responding to my question. Please let me know, otherwise I will have to look for another I/V output. Thank you!

Hi bvtrinh, (for your reference only)

I solder the output transformer as described in message #183 by Quanhao without using his board. I use point to point connection approach. In fact I believe this will even sound better than using a board.

First get a copy of the LL1684 specs from Lundahl Transformers so that you know which connection is which number.

I first soldered connection wires (one for the +, one for -, one for the ground) from the output from the bottom of the ES9038 board. I then measure the required length of the wire by placing the output transformer next to the board.

I placed blutac on top of the transformer and connect it up side down so that the top of the transformer is now attached to the chassis through the blutac.

Then solder the resistors and the three wires to transformer. Then solder a twisted pair of wire from the output of the transformer to the RCA connector.

It took me about 3 hours to do this.

I hope this help.

Thank you!

Thank you Alan! This advice helps out tremendously. Would you happen to have a picture of how it looks?

Bao

Hi bvtrinh, (for your reference only)

I solder the output transformer as described in message #183 by Quanhao without using his board. I use point to point connection approach. In fact I believe this will even sound better than using a board.

First get a copy of the LL1684 specs from Lundahl Transformers so that you know which connection is which number.

I first soldered connection wires (one for the +, one for -, one for the ground) from the output from the bottom of the ES9038 board. I then measure the required length of the wire by placing the output transformer next to the board.

I placed blutac on top of the transformer and connect it up side down so that the top of the transformer is now attached to the chassis through the blutac.

Then solder the resistors and the three wires to transformer. Then solder a twisted pair of wire from the output of the transformer to the RCA connector.

It took me about 3 hours to do this.

I hope this help.