DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Its playing with the D1 now maybee a little much energy in the top,but definitely a step up from the opamps.

D1.png

Reactions: 5 users
.... the SD Trans 384 it really killed the QLS ...

I guess the question many of us will have about SD Card players will be just how do they sound in comparison to the usual USB feed?

The "digital turntable SD player" would have to do something very special to the sound quality, to beat all the DSP enhancements available with usual USB playback. DSP's can give as big a sound improvement as a major hardware upgrade. Upsampling with PGGB, EQ, phase and room correction, stereo width control etc would be hard to give up. However for the fastidious those DSP's could be applied to an album and saved as a massive WAV file on an SD card.

Has anyone compared an SD Card player to a USB-I2S feed?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Kazap, my feeling is majority of people does not use all the IR and FIR function from these ad'ons in their AMR renderers.
The quality of the feeded front end signal matters a lot too.
Fifos or async do not fix all. Hence my questions. My thougths though just non technical intuition, was SD reader was less polluted gnd, low EMC EMI, short ground loops in the digital front end...but I have damn any idea.
My main dac has a complicated front end and it is too bulky...flat antena. Amr based NAS with usb output into an Async XMos (Wave i/o) then fifo then master clock then Dac...a lot of traffo secondaries to feed them all...

Last edited:
Guys, I start today DAC 1702, I already checked PSU voltage, all connecting but no sound only silence. What I should do?
I don't populate smd's C31/36. I install OPA134PA.

Attachments

• IMG20220710005506.jpg
    IMG20220710005506.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG20220710155945.jpg
    IMG20220710155945.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG20220710155957.jpg
    IMG20220710155957.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
@sworder84 You are first who completed this PCB, I hope there is no mistake on the PCB or schematic :unsure: I already double checked the design and it looks good (only pin 8 in the I2S header is not connected to the GND, but you are not using it, this pin can be soldered together with pin 7 if someone needs GND on pin 8).
Resolder all solder joints on your PCB: #4354 -- zoom it and you will see how many "potentially" cold joints there are. Heat the pins on the PCB well with your solder iron. The same problem may be on shift registers ;)

@sworder84 You are first who completed this PCB, I hope there is no mistake on the PCB or schematic :unsure: I already double checked the design and it looks good (only pin 8 in the I2S header is not connected to the GND, but you are not using it, this pin can be soldered together with pin 7 if someone needs GND on pin 8).
Resolder all solder joints on your PCB: #4354 -- zoom it and you will see how many "potentially" cold joints there are. Heat the pins on the PCB well with your solder iron. The same problem may be on shift registers ;)
There is a problem with shift registers. I already check them with points (DL, DR and ground) - signal is not coming from them. Maybe one on them is defective?

sure skrstic, 1865 sound beautiful when you play any kind of music, bass is full of shape, 63 plays groovy, funky...... music is a best choice.
subjective feeling,
if i have time, i will go back to my parents home, i remember one of my cd player is 170x, let me watch or messure all pins output that is it missing something on the circuit,

Reactions: 1 users