DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
hi Patrick, Yageos are even quieter in noise floor than the Dale cmf... I like the RN60 but bulky ! Yes of course, the best as always is to try, thanks for your tips. The smd Sussumu should be used in theory for the I2S lines as anti bouncing resistor VS through hole. the low heigth of smd as its reduced inductance cause the short length reduce the vertical RF loop with the gnd return trace/plane beneath. Theory... let your ears judge as always :) smd is not always the parangon as we mostly deal with frequencies below 20k hz.And Miro wanted it through holes for maximum diyers profit.

Btw if some people try my tip on the I/V resistor and like it as I did, let us know :)

Hi @miro1360, on your last shematic, the crossing 22 ohms across another I2S signal is imho to avoid as well.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Oh my...
Sometimes it is a good reminder ;)

Attachments

• 20220528_151523.jpg
    20220528_151523.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: 3 users
AD1862 Stop-Clock
Corrected PCB, hopefully without mistake :censored: (the mistake was in the LRCK, for the left channel it must be inverted).

It incorporates the Stop-Clock system. What does that mean? Simply: The BCK (clock) is off while no data are present for DAC chip.
Only 4 digital chips are on the PCB. The simplest stop-clock as it gets from my "studio" 🤩 The only drawback from this simplicity may be a channel shift by 10ns (because I left out the 32-bit buffer).
(I shifted channels in audacity by 100ns (10x worse scenario) and I hear no difference, so this shift should not cause any problem.)

Another "major" change is in the ground plane on the PCB. I divided the GND plane for digital and analog with thick cut lines. This helps eliminate potential digital interference and can have another positive impact on the sound 🤩

BOM example: https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=c547c05bf3
note: I/V OpAmp in BOM is LM7171, you can buy another one

The PCB is not tested ... (maybe even more coasters to the collection LOOOL :ROFLMAO:)

Attachments

• diyAudio_AD1862_DAC_v2.1_Stop-Clock_2022-05-28.zip
    657.1 KB · Views: 120
  • diyAudio_AD1862_DAC_v2.1_Stop-Clock_BOM.jpg
    diyAudio_AD1862_DAC_v2.1_Stop-Clock_BOM.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 203
  • diyAudio_AD1862_DAC_v2.1_Stop-Clock_parts.jpg
    diyAudio_AD1862_DAC_v2.1_Stop-Clock_parts.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 245
  • diyAudio_AD1862_DAC_v2.1_Stop-Clock_PCB.jpg
    diyAudio_AD1862_DAC_v2.1_Stop-Clock_PCB.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 281
  • diyAudio_AD1862_DAC_v2.1_Stop-Clock_Schematic.jpg
    diyAudio_AD1862_DAC_v2.1_Stop-Clock_Schematic.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 290
  • diyAudio_AD1862_DAC_v2.1_Stop-Clock_Simulation.jpg
    diyAudio_AD1862_DAC_v2.1_Stop-Clock_Simulation.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: 1 user
Miro, great work! I am impressed that you could again reduce the amount of ICs - but this circuit is not the one you posted half a year ago... I did test that one for you, see here.

The only drawback from this simplicity may be a channel shift by 10ns (because I left out the 32-bit buffer) :ROFLMAO: ... but as I wrote, I tested the channel shift in audacity by 10x worse scenario and I did not hear any difference.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
After some minor changes to my 1862 dac I’m listening again. I have a number of opamps to audition but have begun with LM6171. Previously I’d experienced some scratchyness during playback but that seems to be gone now. I’m not sure exactly what caused it but I suspect not having the 1862’s seated completely in their sockets as a likely contributor.
It’s very challenging to just leave the original design alone and just listen, which is what I’m trying to do.
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: 4 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Dht is not an oap... you can imagin all sort of things. Not the same price and hassle as well than the DHT journey..

Woodturnerfran liked DHT, but also discrete transistors. What I like is to avoid output traffos and output caps...Although I have an IHT to come with a good quiet NOS tube

Miro, would you be please so kind and have a look at #3957...?
I did :) This system with flip-flops is not "re-clock" but more like "re-align" data. It is not solution for eliminating jitter - in our case the most critical signal for AD1862 - the LRCK. When the source outputs jittered LRCK, it stays jittered also after the flip-flops. If you want true reclock, then the LRCK must be generated from a new clean clock (like 44.1kHz or 48kHz) and this LRCK should synchronize the I2S data (it can be complicated).
... for generating new LRCK from a clean clock a ripple counter can be used (see the 74HC4040) https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2004/1005/nidac_ah7.jpg
https://tinyurl.com/2zr7wcff :cool:

... better as delayed LRCK can be delay other data and the LRCK left as clean as possible (for the AD1862), ... this can be job for CPLD ... what do you think?

Last edited: