DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Anyone shared project BOM list from Mouser for AD1862 and PSU2
I have this one at DigiKey for the 1862 version with I2S input. No PS. I just ordered the parts and have not yet built it yet so there could possibly be an error. So check it. It uses the OPA1655 for the IV stage which a number of people have endorsed. I may still migrate to Vunce's 811 pending 1655 results. It probably does not need the heat sink that is in the cart and some of the quantities are more than are needed. But it will save you some time finding parts and typing when you order. Edit to your needs. Please let me know if you see any problems. http://www.digikey.com/short/dv0jb9bp

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thanks for the feedback fellas!
Ahhh... so many ways to arrive at Rome. A single board AD1862 DAC with subsystems (A'la AYA DAC) will have some compromises (circuit topology, size, complexity, parts availability, price, etc...). The thorn in my side is all the different boards connected by wiring running throughout the chassis. For me, a single board will make up for some minor compromises along the way. After playing with MANY MiroDac configurations, its time for a completed project in proper chassis :yes:.
:cheers:

Reactions: 2 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Plancha coocking club ! And I haven't showed you the on floor plancha filter of my main loudspeaker yet, lol !

Attachments

• Miro1360 test board.jpg
    Miro1360 test board.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: 1 users
I have this one at DigiKey for the 1862 version with I2S input. No PS. I just ordered the parts and have not yet built it yet so there could possibly be an error. So check it. It uses the OPA1655 for the IV stage which a number of people have endorsed. I may still migrate to Vunce's 811 pending 1655 results. It probably does not need the heat sink that is in the cart and some of the quantities are more than are needed. But it will save you some time finding parts and typing when you order. Edit to your needs. Please let me know if you see any problems. http://www.digikey.com/short/dv0jb9bp
Strange, on my company PC this link is blocked by company policy. On my phone this link is not reachable.

Strange, on my company PC this link is blocked by company policy. On my phone this link is not reachable.
The URL itself is good. But in my first post it is presented as a link and the underlying link is corrupted. This works: http://www.digikey.com/short/dv0jb9bp The same notes as given in my first post still apply. Some qtys are more than needed. Heat sink is not needed for 1655.

Last edited:
Hey folks, hope you are doing well. My 1862 dac has been in daily service for over a year, and I still love it. My family has been enjoying it too.

I am about to massively rebuild and modify a push pull el84 amplifier. So far I've had a great experience with the supplied IV and reconstruction filter, and it all sounds extremely clean run into my F5 amp; but since I'll be running a second setup with a different topology, I am interested in building a different IV stage to fit that.

Question: has anyone here used an IV topology involving input transformers / step ups? I realize that the AD1862 might present current challenges in a resistor IV (which are not typically recommended anyway), but I am looking to try something different.

I am aware of the CEN / SEN IV which looks great, but that's not what I'm aiming for right now. The name of the game is exploration -- what else is out there?

Hello everyone. First of all, I would like to write that everything you created and described in this thread is great. Respects. However, I wanted to ask if you have had experience with the Sony CX20152 system? This may not be a very popular system, but it is still easily and cheaply available. A certain problem in using it as an external DAC is the way of introducing a digital signal to its input. Do you think there is a way to do this?

I realize that the AD1862 might present current challenges in a resistor IV (which are not typically recommended anyway), but I am looking to try something different.
It really depends on the miller capacitance of the input tube you're planning to use. I actually have now a 50Ω IV resistor with AD1862, 1:3 step up transformer into a 6SN7 DC coupled to 71A. Can't hear any lack of detail to be honest or HF rolloff on my setup.
A pentode input might work even better just because the 2nd screen lowers the miller capacitance but I wouldn't go crazy on the step-up transformer ratio.

Hello everyone. First of all, I would like to write that everything you created and described in this thread is great. Respects. However, I wanted to ask if you have had experience with the Sony CX20152 system? This may not be a very popular system, but it is still easily and cheaply available. A certain problem in using it as an external DAC is the way of introducing a digital signal to its input. Do you think there is a way to do this?
It is possible with CPLD. I created simple "templates" (section My CPLD converters (VHDL code) tutorials) from where the start can be easy, but still time hungry and not much people will be interested in it.
You can try it for yourself and if you succeed then you can share your work for someone who happens to be interested in this specific chip :)

Reactions: 2 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I/V resistor choice (again)

Anybody experience with this one: https://www.mouser.be/ProductDetail/Vishay-Precision-Group-Foil-Resistors/Y16301K00000T9R?qs=11/0CU%2BtHzGFpPb9xCDPDg==
I would like to use this on the 'Non Feedback Discrete Diamond' IV stage of Pedja Rogic.

If no negative advice, I'll order these.

Regards

Go also for the winner of the bench (vialable at mouser) of all the through hole resistors I have tested somewhere towards the middle-end of this thread. I don't remember the ref, sorry. I assume it will be a nice benchmark.