DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

I wonder if someone here might know the answer... I got an I2SoverUSB v.III board and the matching external oscillator board from Lyuben. In the oscillator manual/PDF, it says "Don’t forget to cut the external clock jumper on I2SoverUSB board", but I can't seem to locate this jumper on the board or any reference to it in the I2SoverUSB manual. Perhaps, this refers to an older version of the USB board? I wrote Lyuben but thought I would also ask here as I am itching to try this out.

Cheers,
Soren
In case someone else will be looking for the answer. I got a note from Lyuben and "G" must be shorted to use the external oscillator board.
1698028291812.png

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know of such a case. We mainly use LM1117T and LT1963 or LT3015. We put what we can find in the home warehouse.
There are voltage regulators on that board again, so there's probably no point in spending Sparkos on it. :cool:
Due to the minimal heating of the BD139 transistor on the XMOS part, I supply 4V there, and 5V for the part with oscillators.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
My home warehouse happens to have the Sparkos in stock :rofl:.

Good point, the USB supply should be lower than 5V to reduce heat generated.

I have finalized what supplies will be used for the analog side of AD1862 and IV stage. (Jung/Grunf shunt regulator)
What is your choice for the AD1862 bipolar digital supply?
Since I’m not using the shift registers and I2SoverUSB will have it’s own supplies, I could use a duplicate analog supply for the digital side.
Appreciate any thoughts and feedback….thanks.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Vunce, why not simply copy the aya 5 5V supply? It is using ones of the most quietest discrete parts.
If you can reproduce it with the good caps spacing 2 to 2.5 mm gap for inductance, pan FR works fine here for the digital reg. At least for me with thz same shematic layout but classic discrete parts. Those zenet are quiet at these voltages. Try final decoupling with 1 uf 0805 acrylic only at the dac chip pin pan FC for the bigger capacitance us an option over the Fr but different rendering. Up to your hifi chain abd own tastes.

My home warehouse happens to have the Sparkos in stock :rofl:.

Good point, the USB supply should be lower than 5V to reduce heat generated.

I have finalized what supplies will be used for the analog side of AD1862 and IV stage. (Jung/Grunf shunt regulator)
What is your choice for the AD1862 bipolar digital supply?
Since I’m not using the shift registers and I2SoverUSB will have it’s own supplies, I could use a duplicate analog supply for the digital side.
Appreciate any thoughts and feedback….thanks.
Why complicate it? You completed a quick course on making a shunt regulator so I don't see why you wouldn't make a shunt for +/-5V. This one is a little simpler and cheaper;).
The result is much better than any integrated regulator such as LT3042, ADM7150 ...

Attachments

• Universal Shunt Regulator for Audio Applications.jpg
    Universal Shunt Regulator for Audio Applications.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 113
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
According to Vunce's standards (how complicate and open to subbtle tweaks you want to go or not) : I would choose different secondaries for all the digital frontend and digital dac chip PS. The efforts on the I2S PS or whatever streaming devices (tricks, clocks, etc) is paying off. It is an oppurtunity to tweak with parts in relation to your hifi chain and own tastes.
I also remember V has the D shunt from Salas I hven't so I can't input more about Shunt VS linear here. (My experience is it has a lot to do with the resolution of the amp plus loudspeaker and the global magnitude tone in room as well... choose your poison... carrefully to makes the difference !)

Last edited: