DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Same to me . I do not like it as a decoupling cap.
My main ref Dac has on its analog output stage what I called an hybrid decoupling conf. One voltage has local black Gate just before the I/V while the other rail has another cap model of a different brand as well as the main decoupling cap after the r-core of a different model too. Never saw it anywhere. 2 years of voicing....ahaha.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The old green Nichicon Muse of the 90s with some ESR due to aging were awesome. I keeped some on the dozen of dozen of 10 euros CD players I tweaked second hand ! The new Nichicon green bipolar Muse are surely quieter due to very low distorsion. But the old one must added some H2 perhaps and were almost as good as good as some good MKP (I liked the AMPHOM for swaping lythic DC coupling cap with those old CD players.

The only area where the Silmic II worked fine was in the input rail of the 75xx regulator (low ESR at input pin and resisitive at the output pins of those regs worked really fine with a clever decoupling on the local operational amplifier leg, using the long pcb traces as a resistive behavior (sorta of CRC) !

I'm at beginning of this project and just collecting all information in order to get best result.
Main AD1862 board which require 5v and 12v. Jlsound board also require separate 2x5v. Vunce AD811 has own
power supply (Vunce/Grunf).
Which power supply can be shared with others?
If we consider that Vunce AD811 board has best power supply, can we use it for powering DAC 12v part ?
Is possible to adjust this board for 5v?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Before changes are made, familiarize yourself with how the Walter Jung/Grunf shunt regulator works and how altering set points affects other aspects of the circuit.
Here: walterjung.org /
Also read through Grunfs threads about his work with these regulators, very good information.

This project had a specific purpose: shunt regulation for AD811 IV on a single compact board to mate with MiroDac AD1862. It was not intended as a general use power supply.

Reactions: 1 users
It will be an ideal solution to have usb-i2s interface,dac and iv stages, localised PSU regulation for dac and iv stage integrated onto a single larger board to address the distance and physical wiring woes. However, this will also limit ourselves to the flexibility and freedom of what we are inclined to do here - adventures with various implementations of PSU, IV variations.

I wonder if someone here might know the answer... I got an I2SoverUSB v.III board and the matching external oscillator board from Lyuben. In the oscillator manual/PDF, it says "Don’t forget to cut the external clock jumper on I2SoverUSB board", but I can't seem to locate this jumper on the board or any reference to it in the I2SoverUSB manual. Perhaps, this refers to an older version of the USB board? I wrote Lyuben but thought I would also ask here as I am itching to try this out.

Cheers,
Soren

Thanks to Vunce for the beautiful board and support. Powered up and tested all the test points and all measure within expectations. And then a sudden realisation after mounting the board nicely on a piece of aluminium as heatsink - I have forgotten to key into the Mouser BOM list for two caps.... damn. ,😂. Waiting to place my next order and include the two small caps before I would connect to my Dac for music playing.
Note: Although the supply voltage for the AD811 is just below +/-12v, please be reminded that heatsinks are required. These little buggers can get quite warm.

Attachments

• 20231016_115936.jpg
    20231016_115936.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 20231013_095235.jpg
    20231013_095235.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 20231013_122529.jpg
    20231013_122529.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 206
Reactions: 7 users
I’m not much on writing reviews but someone form Burson reached out to me and asked if I would be interested in one of their opamps to use with my miro AD1862 DAC if I agreed to post my impression on the form. This was an offer I could not refuse. I requested the V6 Classic, but was told that they were not available, so ended up with the V6 Vivid.

I’m a big fan of miro’s DACs. I have built 2 AD1862 DACs and a PCM63. I use the AD1862 in a desktop setup and the PCM63 with my main system. The AD182 was using the AD844 opamp for the I/V and the PCM63 is using a 3 stacked AD844s and the TZ out to a OPA627 buffer with a VRDN PS set to 15V. I have tried several different opamps with both DACs.

These include:
AD797
Sparkos SS3601
TL071
OPA627
AD4898-1

I seem to always comeback to the AD844 in some form as my preferred option. It adds an air to the sound that appeals to me that none of the other opamps seem to have. They have also made me turn my head on a couple of occasions because I thought that there was someone in the room with me.

I have used the V6Vs in both setups. I will say that they sound very good with AD1862 in the desktop setup. The V6Vs offer very good separation and focus between instruments as well as realistic tone. I find it to be better in the area of separation and focus than the AD844. In my main system the V6Vs exhibit the same effect, but the air and wide soundstage that the AD844/OPA627 exhibit is my personal favorite. Even though separation and focus is not as good.

I'm working on the Vunces AD811 I/V and if I can figure out what is wrong with the power supply all bets are off.

Reactions: 2 users
.......I'm working on the Vunces AD811 I/V and if I can figure out what is wrong with the power supply all bets are off.
Question: How much different would Vunce's 811 I/V topology sound if used with a more conventional power supply, assuming good filtering and supply cap values, rather than the Jung/Grunf supply. Is it an incremental difference or a huge difference? Objective opinions please if you have them, not confirmation bias. Thanks.

I would think this is the last op amp IC IV stage I would try on my AD1862. I tried Opa1655 , Lme49680, opa2604 using dual to single adaptor board and single op amp like opa604, Ad844 dual stacked, Ad797, ada4267, and lately Opa627. Vunce's IV using AD811 is staying with the Dac. In terms of resolution, may not be as good as Opa627 but the AD811 sounds warm, full bodied especially in the mids and the bass is tight and goes deep. Thanks @Vunce

*Pardon the messy set-up. It is for a test run and will eventually case the Dac.

Attachments

• 20231019_144638.jpg
    20231019_144638.jpg
    868.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 20231019_145402.jpg
    20231019_145402.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: 5 users