• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions

I'm interested in adding the optional snubber components to my 3875 classic.

But I'm pretty new to this stuff so my questions are dumb. Can someone who has done the snubberizing suggest the brand/type of ps caps? I see reference to a lot of 10,000uF and Peter Daniel shows a pic of 2 4,700uF. What "type" of caps are those? Is that a standard size?

Any suggestions would be welcome. And what other parts are required to snubber?

All amplifiers need High Frequency decoupling very near the main output devices.
They all need Medium Frequency decoupling somewhere close enough on the amplifier PCB.

The capacitors fitted by Peter Daniel fit the above requirements.
Don't change them. The amplifier NEEDs both HF and MF decoupling.

What you can experiment with is, adding main smoothing capacitance at the PSU rectifier.
This is ADDITIONAL capacitance.

I've got a question.

At the moment I use Mission M52 speakers.
Some time ago I build different speakers:
Jack's Place - Vifa Basis 95 2.0

At that time I used hafler mono amps and it sounded great.

My friend that bought my speakers at that time but wants to sell them back to me.

I wonder if the amp I build now (LM4780 parallel) will be able to drive them with satisfaction.

Anybody any idea?

Dear All,

I've a center tapped EI core transformer with 18 0 18 secondaries.

Also, have rectifier PCB from audiosector - I searched on the forum and added 4 diodes and 3 jumpers to use with CT trafo.

The issues I've are that I'm getting a lot of variance in DC voltages.

Attachments

• 20140325_201639[1].jpg
    20140325_201639[1].jpg
    913.9 KB · Views: 385
  • 20140325_202134[1].jpg
    20140325_202134[1].jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 375
Welp...I just finished my temporary wire-up of my amp kit and I'm experiencing an odd issue. But let me take one step back first. When I first powered her up the wire coming out of V- over-heated and went up in smoke immediately. I believe the culprit was a stray ground wire touching the V- tab on the amp-board. I rectified this issue and haven't experienced the problem since. The problem I am experiencing is that the power output from the amplifier is definitely low. If I had to estimate I would guess it's sounds about half as powerful as it should be. I've tried it on several pairs of speakers and at full volume the sound is still about as loud as a normal conversation (there is no distortion)

Some measurements

(Oddly) Led tabs are outputting 33 volts dc
Pg - v - 33 volts dc
Pg + v + 33 DC
Speaker Terminals .013 DC

Thoughts? I'm stumped. Did I miss something while assembling? Did the shorted wires damage something?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited: