Collaborative Tapped horn project

MaVo said:
the upper bandwidth is limited by the 1/2WL resonance of the longest inner dimension. this will be quite low with one fold, so to get good response up to 120hz i folded twice. if you want to fold once, better build smaller ths for a more limited bandwith and use two.

Thanx, didn't know that.
Seems counter-intuitive; I thought the upper knee would be related to the shortest fold, and using DTS-20 folding (driver in middle, path going down front center, dividing, going up sides, down back) would get around it by having a short fold.

I still wonder how Danley does it...
even with resonators & coils.

So I'm back to plan A:
building two pair of THs, one for first octave, one for second octave.
At least I can get it back to 8 feet of so.

Any suggestions...

Why dont they? Is there some special anti standing wave device i have not heard of yet?

For completeness, a quote from Thomas Danleys labhorn posts:

"Also, at the frequency where the difference in path length between the inside of the bend and the outside of the bend is N 1/2 wavelengths, there are deep notches in the response.
This is a result of the opposite phases recombining (and
canceling out) after the bend. A good rule of thumb is make sharp bends with a short radius -or- bend angle is inversely proportional to radius). The point is again remember the "acoustic size" of what ever your dealing with.
As you can see on the LAB sub the only large degree bend has a small radius (the one at the nose).

Still more complication, at the point where the wall area is a significant acoustic size, the sound pressure couples to the width mode resonance (caused by the parallel walls) which puts the first in a series of notches in the response coming out of the mouth.
In this situation, there is a 1/2 wavelength standing wave with the pressure maxima at the walls and velocity max in the center.
Coupling to this mode saps off energy at frequencies related to the N 1/2 wavelengths.
Here, your horn mouth width (where it has parallel walls) also kind of sets your upper frequency limit
For a 21 inch wide horn like the LAB sub, the first width mode notch should be in the mid 300's which is a non issue."

Chris8sirhC said:
steve, I think we have the same design goals as far as bass goes. If you are wanting to use an 80hz XO point you will probably need to go with the design that Don just posted or something similar. Every 20hz design that I have come across (including the one using the lab12 that I have chosen) does not smoothly go up to 80hz. Thats why I just bought a dcx2496 XO and equalizer to XO at 60hz to my mains. I will be building two of the 20hz tapped horns as soon as possible. I probably could get away with a cutoff of 30hz and use the design just posted, but I want to be able to meet thx ultra 2 specifications if only for bragging rights.

Since I'm going to be using the TH in a home theater, I want to go a lot lower than 30hz... hoping for a -3db of around 16-18hz.

If the in room FR is too ragged to stretch to 80Hz with some EQ then I'll just build some smaller stereo THs to bridge the gap.

MaVo - I planning on building a pair of your 38 Hz Tang Band tapped horns. Are there any improvements I could try out? Will rounding the outer radius of the bend do anything noticable for sq? Does the overall width of the horn matter - can I increase it slightly for ease of building?

What does the 4.7 mH inductor do? Will I need it if I am running the horns off a seperate amp connected to my LF out on my receiver?

I will be running the tapped horns with two 5" "Microbe" bookshelf speakers I built.

Max mouth size?

As I understand it, compression ratio of a TH is defined by the ratio of throat area to cone area. In other words, Cone area (Sd) / S2 (throat area) has to be less than four or the driver will fail.

Earlier in this thread I read the mouth should be 2*Sd as a starting point. However, 4*SD seem to model really well (large BW) in a long TH, but I suspect there is a reason I haven't seen a large (3500cm^2) mouths.

Any input? :)

cowanaudio said:
G'day Steve

It makes the horn big. No other reason. When a Tapped Horn becomes very large, it no longer has an advantage over a FLH.

Cheers

William Cowan

G'day to you too William from a fellow Aussie - ex QLD'er now living in the USA. :)

At a guesstimate, the HT horn I'm playing around with will be about 45x30x18" which would still be small compared with a FLH that could play down to 18hz, no?

Playing with the TH wizard, it seem that increasing the mouth size boots the sensitivity and really smooths out the response above 70hz. I'm getting about +/- 3db from 20-180hz. Only trade off seems to be a slightly lower cuttoff by a few HZ. L23 is rather huge at 489cm.

I'm sure I'm doing something dumb/wrong... will post up the graphs and numbers later today.

OK I think I see the error in my ways.

When I come to work out the dimensions of the horn, having a large mouth (S4) also means having a large S3 area... obvious now that I think about it. So the larger the mouth, the larger the cross section of the horn.

So as William suggests I would end up with a huge horn if I had a 3500 sq cm mouth.

GM said:

Hmm, seems to me I've posted a number of sims with this kind of low end that can in theory be EQ'd up to a useful ~three octaves, high enough for an 80 Hz XO.

GM

Yeah that's why I was surprised by Chris8sirhC's comments of building a 30hz horn if I plan to cross it over at 80hz.

I keep going around in circles here and I'm sure I'll just end up designing something that's already been posted earlier on, but at least I'm learning a lot in the process. I don't feel comfortable building something that I don't comprehend.

GM, I'll try to find your HR models for reference. Any idea what page they're on?

hey guys i'm still learning HornResp.

Could one of you guys see if an Elemental Designs 9Kv.2 sub models well in a TH. This is going to be for car audio use so low end only needs to be down to 30-35Hz. Sub will be low pass around 80-100Hz depending on what Hornresp says.

Thanks.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=2&products_id=29

Qts: .30
Qes: .38
Qms: 3.5
Fs: 23 Hz
Re: 7.4
Vas: 45 L
Mms: 71.4 g
Bl: 15.34 T*m
SPL: 83.43 dB
Sd: 231 cm^2
Xmax: 14.1 mm
Voice Coil: 38 mm

Don Snyder said:
A few pages back, I posted a cartoon of a refold of Cowan's 30Hz horn. Now I'm posting a complete plan, so that some of you "fence sitters" might be encouraged to join us. It's for 18mm or 3/4 stock, and with no long panels and lots of corners, you can get by without bracing.

Horns MUST be leak-free. Holes for handles and connector cups can be used as access ports to caulk any leaks. Much of this design can be caulked thru the mouth. Plan to put a connector cup on the "Rear" panel near the "e" on the diagram, this will allow you to caulk "Flare 2" if needed.

This fold will allow Cowan's horn to be transported in many larger cars, either hatch-back, trunk, or back seat. With an 80Hz cross-over, it should be good for HT, Weekend Warrior Bands or DJs.

If your woodworking skills are a little rusty, Rog Mogale has a great tutorial on his site.

http://speakerplans.com/index.php?id=guide

Good Luck (and lots'a bass)
~Don

Don Snyder, would you have a frequency response graph for this fold? Which Eminence driver is this as per their catalogue?

Thanks,