CLIO Pocket

Further test done with a arbitrary waveform generator feeding CLIO Pocket. The test confirms THD-%/dB meter uses only 2nd harmonic. :(

From left to right
First figure: fundamental (500 Hz) and second harmonic
Second figure: fundamental, second & fourth harmonic
Third figure: fundamental, second & third harmonic

Value shown by the THD-dB meter barely unchanged.

Attachments

• CLIO-Pocket FFT1.png
    CLIO-Pocket FFT1.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 402
  • CLIO-Pocket FFT2.png
    CLIO-Pocket FFT2.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 397
  • CLIO-Pocket FFT3.png
    CLIO-Pocket FFT3.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Yes, use the Generator Control. On the lower right side of the screen, there's a set of Output controls. Click the down arrow on the right and it will bring up the Generator Control screen.

It only changes the freq. range (start or stop) when you use the generator independently. It doesn't change the lower and upper freq. when you use logchirp to make measurement (imp, SPL, dbV, etc.). I am using rel.1.4.1 software.

Last edited:
I've updated from v1.41 to v1.42.
I've not detected differences, they may be minor.

I am now accustomed to Clio Pkt and mainly use it. With great satisfaction.
But the graphic interface needs to be made much more handy,
that's not difficult for a good programmer to do it.

I've updated from v1.41 to v1.42.
I've not detected differences, they may be minor.

I am now accustomed to Clio Pkt and mainly use it. With great satisfaction.
But the graphic interface needs to be made much more handy,
that's not difficult for a good programmer to do it.

Yes, I find more or less the same. The only difference is language select for help shown at first run of the software.

Can't speak for CLIO pocket, but I've found CLIO 10&11 the most akward piece of SW I've ever had to use (maybe except Audio Precision). The hardware is quite fine, but the software limits the usefulness of the system big time. I really hate to use it.

I agree for both CLIO 11 and Pocket. Firewire connection was unstable too. We tried many PC config.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Can't speak for CLIO pocket, but I've found CLIO 10&11 the most akward piece of SW I've ever had to use (maybe except Audio Precision). The hardware is quite fine, but the software limits the usefulness of the system big time. I really hate to use it.

The Clio system we have sits in a corner disintegrating because its difficult to use and not as flexible as we need. Its a shame but not much we can do. The other acoustic stuff is just easier and quicker for our needs.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
We use Praxis for most of the acoustic work. We test all parameters of headphones and need some pretty special configurations to measure things like noise reduction of ANC or acoustic phase shift from outside to inside a headphone.

We also have a CRY setup to match typical production headphone test systems.

I just realized that the CLIO Pocket THD-% or THD-dB meter seems to take only second harmonic in to account...

Hello Everyone:

Sorry I just saw this discussion, but I'd like to set the record straight about CLIO Pocket's THD measurements. They are spot on. You just have to hit the bucket correctly - the same as with any other FFT based distortion measurement. :)

The bucket I'm referring to is actually called a FFT bin. A FFT measurement is made up of hundreds of these bins that "catch" the magnitude and phase data from the FFT transform. Then it's just connect-the-dots from bin to bin to draw the trace on your screen.

If you choose a frequency that doesn't hit the center of a bin, that fundamental or harmonic will miss the bin (or be sliced by the windowing into a smaller, thus under-represented sample) and you'll get an understated THD measurement.

Audio Precision vs. CLIO Pocket THD

View attachment CLIO Pocket THD Accuracy.pdf

YouTube Video

CLIO Pocket THD Measurement

Last edited: