Cheap TPA3118D2 boards, modding them and everything that comes with it

If measurements are comparable the Sanwu looks very good, idle, equals 20V filterless in table.

For the 3251 idle, main cause of heat was the Coilcraft inductors, if I remember correctly. Temperatures at high output were the same or even dropped in inductors, I don't remember clearly, but the photos reminded me of YJblueblack and also earlier in 3116 thread I think xrk replaced inductors on Ybdz? for Coilcrafts that also run warm idle, so I wouldn't think of Coilcraft to improve an ampboard. The Coilcraft inductors might not be very suitable for classD?

TPA3118D2

It was not because the Coilcrafts in general but because the construction of the inductors + additional heat from the 3251. So different brand, same construction will result in same temps. Maybe soft saturation cores perform different.

Warm inductors wouldn't indicate a bad thing here. Again, it's not a brand specific "problem" but the way the inductor is made. (And 3251 is different modulation, AD is always higher idle loss)

But yes, the MSS series is introducing more distortions than I.e. the ICE (class-d) inductors. (MSS is not specially made nor optimized for class-d but for switching regulators)

Those ICE are optimized for class-d as some Coilcraft series are as well, so one can't say Coilcraft is bad and ICE is good. :)

xrk, which Coilcraft series/model did you tested?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It was not because the Coilcrafts in general but because the construction of the inductors + additional heat from the 3251. So different brand, same construction will result in same temps. Maybe soft saturation cores perform different.

Warm inductors wouldn't indicate a bad thing here. Again, it's not a brand specific "problem" but the way the inductor is made. (And 3251 is different modulation, AD is always higher idle loss)

But yes, the MSS series is introducing more distortions than I.e. the ICE (class-d) inductors. (MSS is not specially made nor optimized for class-d but for switching regulators)

Those ICE are optimized for class-d as some Coilcraft series are as well, so one can't say Coilcraft is bad and ICE is good. :)

xrk, which Coilcraft series/model did you tested?

More info here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp-387.html

MSS1583-103MEB was what I used.

Sorry for a noob question: Would be sufficient with a stereo log pot, and two sanwu blue to make two active speakers. I am still considering making two active 0,4x Karlsonators with 3fe25. And what would be the best sq, two sanwu blue + quality pot or a tda7297.

Thanks for bearing with me.