cheap aliexpress/eBay ADAU1452 development boards

If that's your front panel, where is the display? Do you have a link to your project?

I used a stadard 256x256 1.8" TFT colour display and a standard three pin I/R receiver.
1642775623796.png

1642775707011.png

1642776144501.png

Last edited:
Your case already looks very professional..
The picture is my earlier project just using the GPIO
And luckily I only need a 2 Way filter.
I am still working on the T-Display Preamp
I will make a picture of it later

Downloading the sigmastudio files works ok with the ESP32 but I had a strange thing.
The xover seemed to be in the default mode instead of the correct xover frequencies
Maybe a mistake by me..

I am sure your balanced out will make a lot of difference

This is your speaker setup?
Yes, effectively:
1642779010332.png

I just placed the sub there for the picture, normally the subs sit close to the side walls. I built the centre channel by putting a 90 degree bend in the tube:
1642779107686.png

This is to keep the height down under the TV and projector screen. (I built the deck, the base board is from a bamboo kitchen chopping board!)

This picture shows a lash-up of the centre to compare to the normal LXmini, I couldn't measure or hear any real difference:
1642779220172.png

But when in situ, the centre does sound a little different, probably because it is closer to the back wall and floor. It is still 100x better than the Klipsch centre I had before.

Anyway, the excitement begins as the boards have just arrived! Plugged in the main hardware pieces for a dry run to make sure all will fit before mounting all the SMTs looks bang on :)
1642779569761.png

1642779594550.png

Thanks. I have a couple of hacks to make to the underside of the pcb as I realised very shortly after the board went into production (isn't that always the way?) that the DSP output serial ports 2 and 3 do not support three SDAIOx pins, only one! Easy to fix though with a couple of cuts and link wires.
Will update on progress, waiting for an RS delivery for some remaining components, due today so looks like a busy weekend ahead!

OH Man

This is Great!!!

Looks very professional
And youve build it realy fast !!
Thanks, took about a day to build the main PCB, a bit longer to fix a couple of problems! I'm a little puzzled as to why it sounds significantly cleaner from the listening position. My previous 8 channel DSP+Amps build was shoehorned into one case and not only did it look a mess, if within a couple of feet/0.5m of a speaker cone I could hear a low level hiss and some buzzing. This could not be heard from further away. My aim was to get rid of the hiss and buzzing and this I have succeeded in doing but as I say, I'm puzzled why it sounds so much better from further away? The power amps are the same, Hypex UcD modules, but the DSP was a evaluation board from Analog Devices and used their EVAL-ADAU1466 DSP with an AD1938 4x8 CODEC. I added buffer stages on the board outputs to generate a differential drive for the Hypex modules. But as I said, it was a bit of a mess :oops::
1644312489702.png

New power amps only build is a bit better, although I would like to find a neater way of of splitting the power supply feeds 8 ways instead if the mess in the middle:
1644313329711.png

The small board in the middle left is one I designed for speaker protection and for standby switching of the amps, the rest is off the shelf Hypex modules, although I replaced the horrible faston tabs with screw terminal blocks..

Anyway, to stay on topic, the cheap ADAU1467 module and the PCM1794 boards (my version is similar but with more compact opamp output stages) work extremely well and relatively easy to use. My only criticism of the DSP board is they didn't wire the reset circuit input to pin 6 of the programing header or to an edge pin, I had to modify the board for this, just a wire.

Last picture, looks a little lost now it is in situ compared to the big box that sat there before:
1644314106903.png

I wish i could hear it...
Where do you live, maybe I can crank up the volume :D

Last edited:
Nice, did you build the speakers yourself?
Yes..
and I use the cheap 1452 board as preamp EQ Xover etc
the speakers are TangBand 2314 coax
and yes they sound very nice

I actually have 2 pre

1 selfboot which works good
1 ttgo esp32 controlled
the download is ok
but all the filters seem to be not correct
I probably need to send the filters parameters extra after the full download?

A trip uk?

hmm doesn't it always rain there?

Last edited:
Yes..
and I use the cheap 1452 board as preamp EQ Xover etc
the speakers are TangBand 2314 coax
and yes they sound very nice

I actually have 2 pre

1 selfboot which works good
1 ttgo esp32 controlled
the download is ok
but all the filters seem to be not correct
I probably need to send the filters parameters extra after the full download?
You should not have to resend the filter settings. I presume you generate the DSP hex file from SigmaStudio? This example project on the AD SigmaStudio support site is very helpful, I used the download code module they provided, just changing the necessary parameters in the .h files:
https://wiki.analog.com/resources/t...=sigmadsp&s[]=example&s[]=project&s[]=1&s[]=0If you run your project with your hardware hooked up to SigmaStudio, do a download to check it is working well, then Export System Files it should then work the same after an upload from your ESP32.
A possible cause of wrong filter performance could be a mismatch in the project and clock settings.

A trip uk?

hmm doesn't it always there?
Always what here? Rain? :)

You should not have to resend the filter settings. I presume you generate the DSP hex file from SigmaStudio? This example project on the AD SigmaStudio support site is very helpful, I used the download code module they provided, just changing the necessary parameters in the .h files:
https://wiki.analog.com/resources/t...=sigmadsp&s[]=example&s[]=project&s[]=1&s[]=0If you run your project with your hardware hooked up to SigmaStudio, do a download to check it is working well, then Export System Files it should then work the same after an upload from your ESP32.
A possible cause of wrong filter performance could be a mismatch in the project and clock settings.

Always what here? Rain? :)
:D

The netherlands are very very wet also these days.....

Thanks for your explanation
I will give it another try again
the TTGO module is nice for testing but the display is impossible to build in nicely.
so i ordered new 240 240 display and make a new effort.
I use this example off Analog Devices https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/sigmastudio/tutorials/microcontroller

I know the feeling. This project has gone on much longer than my usual and I have surprised myself at how patient I've been waiting for parts for example when in the past I would have hacked in some substitute! Probably helped that I already had something reasonable in place.
Next idea is to try and add click removal for vinyl into the DSP. Will start with KJBob from AD support idea: https://ez.analog.com/dsp/sigmadsp/f/q-a/64214/adau1701-riaa

Reactions: 1 user