Chassis Discussion

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Not wavy enough to make much difference I'd suspect... but they do look neat. :yes:

IMG_1484_zpsa294f307.jpg

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Could also be differences in the temperature you're calculating the rate at. I understand that there isn't a industry standard for this. For example Conrad Heatsinks specs at 80C rise. Not sure what the DIYAudio store heatsinks are spec'd at. I tried asking this a few years ago in this thread, but never got a response.

Yes, I have examined all of the chassis and heatsink info at the diyAudio Store. Here is what I am looking for from the heatsink:

• 2 FETs large footprint FETs per heatsink.
    • IXYS SOT-227 approx 1.5 sq-in footprint
    • Tokin 2SK182ES approx 2 sq-in footprint
  • Each FET dissipating approx 75 Watts.
  • Want temperature rise for the heatsink not to exceed 30C
According to the information for the 210mm x 40mm x 400mm heatsink, the thermal resistance is 0.14C/W. That would imply a temperature rise of 0.14C/W*150W=21C which would be just fine.

However, the fin height of approx 31mm appears to be too short with the overall geometry of the heatsink to actually provide the 0.14C/W thermal resistance figure.

Can anyone verify that 0.14C/W number? Ie, compute C/W from the 2*Vrail*Ibias/(T_hsink-T_ambient) of an actual build.

If it's not enough just add a Noctua fan, they are silent, particular off running a volt or two low.

I use the Noctua fans whenever needed, and yes they are quiet. But I have mainly used them in a heat tunnel arrangement with heatsinks mounted fin-to-fin. In some bench testing I have mounted fans on the outside of fins, blowing inward on the hot spots. It might require 1 fan per FET in that arrangement. Is that what you suggest?

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Yes, I have examined all of the chassis and heatsink info at the diyAudio Store. Here is what I am looking for from the heatsink:

• 2 FETs large footprint FETs per heatsink.
    • IXYS SOT-227 approx 1.5 sq-in footprint
    • Tokin 2SK182ES approx 2 sq-in footprint
  • Each FET dissipating approx 75 Watts.
  • Want temperature rise for the heatsink not to exceed 30C
According to the information for the 210mm x 40mm x 400mm heatsink, the thermal resistance is 0.14C/W. That would imply a temperature rise of 0.14C/W*150W=21C which would be just fine.

However, the fin height of approx 31mm appears to be too short with the overall geometry of the heatsink to actually provide the 0.14C/W thermal resistance figure.

Can anyone verify that 0.14C/W number? Ie, compute C/W from the 2*Vrail*Ibias/(T_hsink-T_ambient) of an actual build.

Here is the original thermal dissipation documentation from the department of engineering at the university of Bologna, which is the source of the published figures. You are welcome to have it translated.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I am looking to mount the top and bottom panels and the holes in the rails appear to be threaded? Am I still supposed to use the sheet metal screws? I tried to put one in and it knocked the threaded collar out.

It may be that you were supplied the wrong (old style) bag of screws, which would have included self tapping screws, instead of the new nuts. The engineer is being consulted to debug this and we'll get back to you directly by email with a resolution as soon as we have an answer.

Here is the original thermal dissipation documentation from the department of engineering at the university of Bologna, which is the source of the published figures. You are welcome to have it translated.

Thanks for that intel.

Figure 52 is very handy with its indication of internal chassis temperatures. Looks like it was a relatively warm day in Bologna. Zero watts appears to land at somewhere between 27 - 32 °C depending on which graph you refer to.

I was hoping to spot reference to the ambient temperature but (if it's there) my Italian isn't good enough to pick the text to chuck into Google translate.. :up: