CDPRO2 Group Project (open source project)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking through the manuals and the kit seems very well thought out and considering what's included, it's a real bargain (comparing for instance to what you are getting from Nico at not that much lower price).

If not for the fact that I already have 2 CD-Pro transports to play with (and recently bought ML31.5), I would be surely getting this one ;)

If I have any suggestions for improvement, maybe a plate that covers the display board section when the door is open.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
a plate cover the CD-PRO2M module

I got the pictures from the website,the kit was assembled by Mr.Yang.

The plate was made by him,all DIY,looks fine!

But I won't do this in my CD transport.I like to see the words 'CD-PRO' when the door is open.I also like to see the mechanical structure inside,just like the traditional watch.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
"covers the display board section when the door is open."

Ken: Thanks for the suggestion, Peter. We are thinking about making two of the support columns thinner, and put the board between the columns. But as of right now, the kit is provided with an acrylic cover to cover up the display board.

Regards,
Ken

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
REAL 1PPM?

I also doubt about the spec. of 1ppm.The crystal is specially ordered from Japan.I guess the 1ppm spec. should be based on some special conditions.

But if the pure-clock could enhance the orginal CD-PRO2M module,it's worthy.

(jwb:your KMA-160 reverse engineering is amazing!)

Re: REAL 1PPM?

YENFU said:
I also doubt about the spec. of 1ppm.The crystal is specially ordered from Japan.I guess the 1ppm spec. should be based on some special conditions.

I don't doubt 1ppm, but I do doubt that it helps the sound. 1ppm is a specification for satellites, not for CD players. 1ppm simply means that the clock will have the same mean frequency in 20 years as it does today, but it tells you nothing about the relationship of two consecutive clock edges (jitter, phase noise, etc). Similarly, temperature control helps stability at very low frequencies, but is pointless at audio frequencies.

The mechanical suspension of the clock is also suspicious. What's the resonant frequency?

Would someone please explain why the firmware for a fully loaded CD Player is so b****y difficult?! I'm onto Shuffle mode after completing typing in track numbers from a remote and next is rollover remote commands (volume / fast forward)...

Coulomb:
Also at the risk of embarrassing myself, I would guess not since I don't think Optoisolators can run at 16MHz...But that is just a guess. I was on a website for a clock (Can't remember which) yesterday, and the clock signal was said to be very impressive, yet it had ringing all over it. Presumably these clock designers are battling to find fast enough components. Elso / Guido?

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
damping

I think no one have the ability to control everything which will hurt the sound quality.Using the Pure Clock only help us to get a better clock than BEFORE.

We still have a lot things to do.But we do try to improve the factor.(In fact.I do not install the pure clock in my CD-PRO2 transport now.)

The suspension column could fill in some damping material,such as oil.The resonat frequency will depend on the damping ratio.For me,this will be an interesting game.....IT'S DIY!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.