Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A

ecdesigns, why don't you offer kits for your designs? Like your SD card player and DAC? You sell completed products but they are way out of anyone's normal price range. I unstand you put a lot of effort into your projects and that is appreciated. Even if you don't sell kits, why not sell PCBs with BOM and preprogrammed chips? I don't see how you are benefiting the "DIY" community, if that is your intention.

yep, this dac isnt really even my style and i've gone about things in a completely different way, but I would never say that there is no benefit to the diy community. I regularly pop my head in here for a look-see and whether I would do the same with my dac or not, the designs are shared and analyzed freely with the community, despite them being a fully commercial product these days. its a great thread to draw inspiration and non-standard solutions from, to apply in your own build

if you are hanging out for someone to spoon-feed you with ready made kits, go to twisted pear or any number of other suppliers. the full schematics, design and parts choices are discussed in here in detail, with enough info for a diyer worth their salt to build it for themselves, or take snippets and left field techniques to try in your own designs. its called DIY for a reason, if you cant make something useful from the ideas and schemas presented here, its really not the project for you anyway

if anything John is one of the more prolific gorilla style diyers around and fills this thread with such rapid-fire iterations that many complaints are more of not being able to keep up with the turnover

Last edited:
ecdesigns, why don't you offer kits for your designs? Like your SD card player and DAC? You sell completed products but they are way out of anyone's normal price range. I unstand you put a lot of effort into your projects and that is appreciated. Even if you don't sell kits, why not sell PCBs with BOM and preprogrammed chips? I don't see how you are benefiting the "DIY" community, if that is your intention.

wow. you are stating that like he owes the DIY community something more than he's already given. can't imagine you will find anyone on this forum to agree with that.

My intention wasn't to offend anyone, although I did and I apologize. John's designs are absolute art. I just believe his prices are very high, and it does seem his intention is to sell completed products and not offer open designs.

It's my opinion that it's great to offer open designs or PCBs with BOMs and preprogrammed chips, this way everyone can join in if they chose to. I'm an electrical engineering student, and in these days of digital, the art of analog design is starting to become a lost art. Taking part in someone's design by building it yourself is a great learning experience.

As an EE student, take some PCB program and draw your's circuit, it is much better learning curve than taking someone's else design. You'll need to think youself where to throw every part, think which part to throw, and how to connect them.
Then you'll go thru a bit of calculation estimates/sim to check you've got it right with component values/sizes.
In the end you'll have something you've built yourself and be much happier than with someone's board which you may feel is suboptimal in some approaches.

The other side of "PCBs for DIYers" is the technical support and possibility of someone who will overtake your's "free design" into some kind of "group buy" with completed devices. Technical "support" kills the time, and prevents you from going forward with new designs.